Monday, September 4, 2017

Meal Plan Monday



I made it through August with $8.00 to spare in my $350 grocery and household budget challenge for August. The last week of August I was really quite lazy and just couldn't be bothered to stop at the grocery store, and bought one large zucchini at a farm stand. This was not achieved without complaints from DD2 that there was "nothing to eat." Well, there really was plenty, which was why my laziness was not at the expense of starving my family, and we ate meals of sorts for suppers, she had cereal, toast or muffins for breakfast, and sandwiches or leftovers for lunch. I don't think I can recall at all what I ate, but probably a combination of leftovers, fruit, maybe some tortillas and cheese. I spent way more than I needed/should have for the lake, cutting into our budget for this month pretty substantially. I'm budgeting $400 total grocery and household, plus I'll put $50 per month in DD2's lunch account. That still should be ample as I have enough odds and ends left from last month, a few frozen proteins and pantry staples. DH brought a few items home with him from the lake-I don't know what and how much they used on Sunday, probably most of the hamburgers I bought. I have a sister-in-law that seems to conveniently forget things she intends to serve, and she has five in her family, three of whom are adult men.

I digress. Estimating what I'll need for laundry, cleaner, and personal, I am left with an average of $63 per week for grocery food items. I spent $33 last night after being with my nieces kids on a few odds and ends at our local store-kills me to spend those prices after shopping at Aldi's, but the Aldi's is 12 miles up the highway and I only stop on my way home from work. I'll make this work though as we have bigger and better plans for our funds this month. I'm going to make a load of pumpkin bread and muffins for the freezer today, which will stretch over a couple weeks. I stocked up on cereal, oatmeal, french toast sticks,and yogurt so  breakfasts are covered for a couple weeks. Lunches of course will be leftovers, plus the odd sandwich, salad, or wrap. Here's the sort of meal plan for the week suppers. * means I need to add items to the grocery list.  I'll use the crock pot this week for some things so meals are ready when we want.

Sunday- Chow mein, rice, noodles (bought as part of the bits Sunday night)
Monday-Vegetarian chili, crackers, with cheese and sour cream*
Tuesday-Goulash with green beans and corn
Wednesday-Tomato soup and grilled cheese or egg salad sandwiches-bread*
Thursday-chicken*, sweet potato* wedges, zucchini
Friday- Taco's with hamburger*, rice, cheese, refried beans, lettuce*, salsa*, sour cream, and guacamole*
Saturday-Nothing for DH and I as an Italian buffet dinner is being served on our wine club complimentary wine cruise, frozen pizza* for DD2 and friend

My $30 remainder for this week needs to cover chicken, sweet potatoes, more hamburger, more eggs, lettuce,avocados, a frozen pizza and fresh fruit, so doable, but tight. Next week I'll have few pantry items left so will need to be more strategic. I'll have chicken and cheese to carry forward into the following week, so that should help. Over spending labor day weekend took a bite out of my budget, but I won't be deterred. In hopes of being more organized this school year, my Monday menu might be a regular feature. What's on your menu this week?

16 comments:

  1. I think your menu sounds good. I was feeling really uninspired when it came to this week's menu. Here is what we are having:

    Sunday: enchiladas and canned green beans
    Monday: Hamburgers and French fries
    Tuesday: Coney dogs and baked beans
    Wednesday: Smoked sausage potato bake and fruit
    Thursday: Fish sticks, baked potatoes and green beans
    Friday: Frozen pizza and fruit
    Saturday: ???

    Hope you have a great week and good luck on sticking to your budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of my meals are less than inspiring, but will get the job done-and I don't have three little ones at home. We do what we do, right?

      Delete
  2. That's a very nice sounding menu. I haven't done anything written a plan but as I bought a huge box of mushrooms up at the market I think we're going to be mushroom heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had mushrooms for something-that sounds so good. I may caramelize some onions with apple for the grilled cheese-take them up a notch.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday was Sunday lunch, and today is pasta. I haven't thought any further ahead than that but the freezers are full, though one drawer in the fridge freezer is full of yellow stickered meat and chicken that I've bought to take for my younger daughter when I visit next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are still getting loads of fresh stuff from the allotment as well. Our farm stands have been a bit pricey this year, but the quality can't be beat.

      Delete
  4. Your menu sounds really yummy. Have you shared your vegetarian chili recipe? I'd be interested.

    Last night we had grilled salmon & potatoes.
    Tonight is grilled chicken & rice.
    Tuesday - leftover salmon + pasta w/pesto
    Wednesday - leftover chicken & rice
    Thursday - eat any leftovers in the fridge
    Friday - heading out of town to Portland for a wedding. Hoping to make sandwiches for the adults. (Kids will want Smashburger)
    Saturday - wedding
    Sunday - something quick out of the freezer, post airport

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chili is nothing special, but here goes: sweat one large onion, two celery stalks, and a small diced carrot. when softish, add any other vegetable you like-I added zucchini tonight because I had a few.Add 2 Tb spoons chili powder. Stir and cook in about another minute. 4 small or two large cans petite diced tomatoes, 6 oz, jar tomato paste, i can or 1-2 diced green chilis andore chili powder to taste. I add 3-4 cans of assorted beans0chili, black, butter. I rinse the butter and black beans but put the chili in with their juice. simmer for about 20 minutes. I like to cool then and reheat, letting it get really thick. Pretty simple-nothing fancy, and versatile. I;ll clean this up and post as a real recipe.

      Delete
  5. Yay! You made your tight August budget too! I love that I am not "the only one" with teenagers complaining about what's left in the kitchen. LOL And, I think your menu for the week sounds delicious! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She ate popcorn, but was looking for more cold cereal, and quick snacks. Oh well, she'll be really wanting these meals in a few years-her siblings sure craved the simple homemade meals when they came home.

      Delete
  6. Can you call out your sil out regarding her forgetting? That would get old quick. I don't actually meal plan. Shop the meat sales and always have sides to cook. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really worth the effort and I don't think she intends to forget-she just doesn't bother going back or stopping again once she realizes something was forgotten. . Memorial weekend it was her pork loin, Saturday was buns for brats (ones that she did leave a few weeks back in the freezer because there was so much other food.)She likes to bring her families leftovers (frozen potato salad?) but my mother in law once said something to her about not bringing her leftovers as they rarely get eaten and then just are thrown out.

      Delete
  7. We had an expensive food weekend too, farm market pasta, ribs, potato salad (cheap) and corn (also cheap). Tonight we have leftovers though so I don't have to cook. This week will be much cheaper meals to balance it out from our entertaining weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there is still a box of burgers at the lake-DH was feeling cruddy and just left for us some weekend to eat up there. It adds up quickly though doesn't it?

      Delete
  8. I admire you and anyone who has sensible meal plans and budgets.
    I can not get my partner to do so for love or money .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a challenge getting everyone on board consistently. Hence, my daughters complaints!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.