Thursday, April 19, 2018

Hot Topic-Winning Some Frugal Battles

Wow! Thanks for the great participation in yesterdays post. You're all thoughtful in your points raised and added so much perspective. Thanks for sharing your stories. I think I hit a nerve with myself and was prepared for back lash, but I'm learning different thoughts, when given with respect, is great for communicating. For me, I'll continue practising my thrifty skills, while still humbly acknowledging I am truly privileged. Here's five frugal things for my week so far. 

  1. I tapped into some of my coffee gift card balance and got a medium  Day Break at Caribou and an oatmeal cookie. I didn't deserve anything, but felt like a treat. Really, I didn't want to grind coffee beans this morning and convinced myself that the cards are meant to be spent. I did throw  40 cents in the tip jar though, so that is the grand sum of my purchase. 
  2. Having back to back early meetings outside of my office, I didn't pack a lunch. I had fruit left from yesterday and soup in my desk drawer. I was tempted to stop for a Jimmy John's on route back to my office but talked myself out of it. 
  3. I left the office late, called home to see what they might want me to pick up for dinner. DH said never mind, we'll use up the hamburgers. I remembered we still had 1/2 a bag of tots and coleslaw cabbage. We successfully avoided take out, but DH gets the win on that one. 
  4. I brought leftover chicken noodle soup on Monday and Tuesday for lunch. I'll bring it again today and finish the last of it tomorrow. Boring, but I'll vary the fruit between apple, clementines, and banana. 
  5. I found change in the laundry, my coat pocket, and at the bottom of a back pack. Into the tea tin it will go. 
I loved a comment yesterday from a reader. She mentioned she felt privileged to be able to be frugal. Because she chose to not have a job outside of the home, it meant she needed to sew, cook from scratch,and economize. I won't always do the most thrifty thing and my finances are such that I don't need to, but I detest waste and stupid spending. For the most part, I really  like working outside the home. It is my privilege. But like Barbara, I hope I am practicing economy along the way. 


10 comments:

  1. Self-discipline is important, and you seem to have it in regards to eating habits and money spending. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to do without things we need, but I've found I can manage my wants in exchange for bigger or more important wants like my vacations and family time.

      Delete
  2. what an inspiration this is,, it really helps to bolster me along when I read what others do to live a life more consciously!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit lazy though too, and my lifestyle, low wants other than big ticket items we are saving for, helps me not think too hard about meals, clothng, etc.

      Delete
  3. Happy Thursday, Sam! I loved the conversation your post yesterday provided!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasional rants are a good thing I guess. It gives us all licenses to let out some steam on what we think.

      Delete
  4. I think saving money is fun, I do like nice things and I love a diet coke from McD's but a gift card to pay for it is a super score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does McDonald's do with their fountain pop to make it taste so much better than anywhere else? At $1, it is certialy an affordable splurge, but I keep it rare as I am trying to de pop myself!

      Delete
  5. When I worked, I loved taking leftovers for lunch. It was almost like taking a bit of home with me. Personally, I don't mind repeating lunches for several days in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today will be 4 of 5 days with leftover soup.It has done the job though. I like your thinking-a bit of home. I know with each contianer I bring, I'm avoiding waste, getting a nutirtious lunch as i load mine ith veggies, and I'm saving time in addition to the frugality of it.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.