Monday, December 17, 2018

Let Cash Flow, Let It Flow, Let It Flow

Money to fix the front of my car was not part of our year end spending plan. Neither was getting the clothes dryer fixed. DH threw in a load of clothes this morning and after 30 minutes, not only were they not dry, the  tumbler was ice cold, No heat. The official Sears repair option can't even schedule us until next Monday, and then if it is something other than standard parts on hand, have t wait for them to come in. A local service repair can fit us in tomorrow or Wednesday, and said with the model and year, even if he has to get parts, should be only 24 hours, getting us back in business Thursday at the latest. For both, the service call alone is $95, plus whatever parts might be involved. No one is in dire need of clean laundry early in the week, so if I have it back Thursday night, great.  

There's something weird going on with our dishwasher. I thought perhaps it was the drain/food catcher. We try and scrape and light rinse, but lets face it, we get lazy at times. I got down on my knees to clean it out, then pour vinegar to clean any other residual, plus ran the washer with a couple cups of vinegar. It seemed to help with the residue for about a week, but I noticed last nights load  was problematic again. I'm not even going to tackle right now as when I doing more cooking and baking, it seems almost as easy to just hand wash, dry and put things away right away. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind just pulling it out getting more storage, but know if we ever moved, the kitchen would have to have a dishwasher.  

I don't want to refer to these things as Murphy's law, well maybe the car thing. Frustrating yes, but owning a home comes with appliances, and appliances don't always do what they should. We are particularly hard on appliances apparently, though I don't understand what we do that others don't, if that is the case. This dryer is only four 1/2 years old. It is our third one since being married and living in the house, though the first one was already six years old when we moved it here from our first house. I know people that have had appliances for decades. This is our 4th dishwasher, the first three averaging only 8 years. I looked up a guide and life expectancy says 7-12, so 9-10 is average, so we are below average. I can't help wondering if the new chlorination in the water is impacting how well the dishwasher is working. 

If we get through December without tapping into any savings, I will be very grateful. It will come down to DH's final sales this week before he's paid Friday, and any corporate perks. The VISA has most of the Christmas gifts, but there will be some residual into January. We also have a lot of cash expenses before month end that will impact money flow. Also on the final VISA for 2018 will be several expenses for DD2 such as final show choir payment, yearbook, and the all night grad party ticket. Both yearbook and party ticket were bought before the rate goes up $10 each after the new year, so better overall, but a bite now. Besides the overflow of a bit of Christmas spending, DD2 also needs a new parking pass in Janaury, and we have three nights of hotel for two different show choir trips, plus gas and meals. She has a birthday next month as well. 

We are living on the cash flow edge right now.  All I can say, not happily, but honestly, let it flow. I'll keep looking for places to find the shut off valve.

12 comments:

  1. I believe the problem is that "children" aren't equipped at birth with shut off valves. They never tell you that and you don't think about it when they are cute little gurgling babies....lololz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh is that ever the truth! then there are the last minute needs for school projects, field trip money. party account money, meals for practice etc. etc. They are cute when little though aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Appliances just aren't made like they used to be. Our washer and dryer are the original to the house, 2007. We've had repairs to them 2x (washing machine, none on dryer). Fingers and toes crossed they will keep going for a while. We only do about 4 loads a week though, families do go through a lot more laundry. I am saving for replacement in the mean time (appliance fund only has $700 right now). December is always one of the most expensive of the year, just save where you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do about 6 loads, but two of those minimally don't go in the dryer, so about the same use. I'll be looking down on the gorund for pennies this month.

      Delete
  3. As I have fixed our dryer more than once it sounds like a belt. Try googling a repair and look at your owners manual you can probably due this yourself. I hate it when appliances break right at the holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not so brave, Kim. I hope it isn't more than a replacement dryer!

      Delete
  4. You know, if I had to PICK an appliance to be without for a time, the dishwasher and clothes dryer would be my #1 and #2 choice. Dishes can be hand washed, and clothes hung in the laundry room to dry. Even here in the PNW, it takes only about a day for my clothes to air dry indoors. Towels are a different story, but perhaps your family doesn't feel the need to use a clean towel with each shower as mine does. Grrrrr…. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hang more clothes than I do, but hate that crunchy feeling for things like towels, jeans, under wear.

      Delete
  5. I went almost a year without a dryer- I got used to it but I'll never do it again LOL. My fridge (knock on wood) is 21 years old and still works fine. I know one day I'll come home and it will be gone. My sis keeps telling me to just buy a new refrigerator but I don't operate like that! I didn't realize choir was so expensive-older grandson was in it the last 2 years and band too (he's an exchange student in Germany this year) but they probably didn't do as much. Activities are pretty cheap here because people just dont have the money. Younger GS is still in band- in fact, I'm going to the Christmas cocnert tomorrow. He says this is it for him- he's a freshman and not that interested in marching band again and you have to be in it to be in concert band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is show choir, so they travel to competitions, and have four trips where they stay over night, two e nights, one two night, and their nationals four nights. Costumes are in the price as well. This is probably less than 1/2 of what it costs because we do a major fundraiser-hosting a competition, plus have preview nights. It would be a tough decision if it was the full price.

      Delete
  6. Here's hoping that the cash settles down & you end the year on a positive note. I'm working on getting all of our last 2018 expenses wrapped up, & planning for our giant second half tax bill that's due at the end of January. Always a fun surprise right after the holidays ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have many more appliances that can break so need to keep my fingers crossed!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.