Wednesday, April 24, 2019

On Knowing Useful and Useless Things

Image from dreamstime.com
Trivia night is becoming a part of my new norm. We are an eclectic group that varies a bit week to week from old friends and offspring and new friends and neighbors. The blended group with different areas of  pop cultural knowledge is helpful. Last week, my friend J thought he was going to be clever and went ahead to the Trivia web site and thought he had figured out a few categories, then researched them. I think perhaps his research paid off on at most, two answers, though several of us already knew the answer, Flying Fox, as really a type of bat, before he could look at his handwritten notes. No fun, J! We need to rely on our own bank of useful and mostly useless knowledge. We did not finish well last week. 

I take a lot of notes in meetings, either on a notepad or on the lap top. I don't often refer to them, but just the task of writing things down helps my memory a lot. If I know I will need to draw upon something specifically, I will put the info on calendars, or craft into an e-mail to myself or memo with a pertinent subject line. Then, I save in a folder to draw from later, but they are much briefer than what I would have taken note of during the meeting itself. I'm now trying to transfer useful knowledge to the new team member that started on Monday, and not bog her down in  the information that for now, is useless. 

It's been challenging. Things you don't learn about people in interviews is how they absorb information. I'm trying to transfer in short and meaningful ways, so she has the big picture, then will add in the layers as the week, and next week goes on. She has a tendency of interrupting me, and wanting to dive in deeper, ad have a dialogue that quickly goes off tangent. Multiple times I've already had to say, let's get back to the core, and the details will make better sense. I haven't see her take any notes in our meetings, nor make notes in the program policy manual to later cross reference when she has access tot he program files.  I can see what she is doing is drawing on her own bank of  knowledge, things that were really useful in her old job, but at this stage of her new job, while not useless, it is not yet relevant. 

I've been involved in another project which has a huge focus on complete and total active listening, hearing what the other person says, and not responding until they are well and done-not even nods, and  sounds. It is difficult, but as I practice it more and more, I am learning how much I would jump in before the other person was done talking, and I didn't really hear them in full, as I most likely was thinking about my own response. I'm starting to be more aware of it being done on the other side of the conversation, and my new staff fits this to a tee. She has in her head the things she thinks she needs to know, and wants to jump to that point. Another colleague told me she had that issue with one of her staff when they started. She finally had to  say, "Stop guessing what I'm going to say next and let me finish my thoughts."

Trivia is tonight again. We won't be relaying on J's research as just got a note via our FB group that he's is down with a nasty cold. We might try the technique we learned at another table where they use post it notes or note cards to communicate amongst the team to come to consensus. Maybe writing down our first guesses at the meaningless  things will help us get back on the leader board. 



12 comments:

  1. Your trivia night sounds like fun, Sam. We enjoy playing games here too. But it's more fun when you get a lot of people together like you do. Hope you have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and n pressure to come or not, or to host.

      Delete
  2. I like trivia games too but I used to get frustrated when I lived in the States and we played Trivial Pursuit as (obviously) it was more US-linked. Same here, it's all about bloody French pop stars!!! Oh well. And I remember when I was asked to write up the minutes of an informal meeting so smarty pants here decided to take my laptop since I type quicker than I write. Unfortunately in the middle of the meeting the keyboard switched to "French" (we used Swiss German keyboards) and I was all over the place. Couldn't get the darn keyboard back - luckily I remembered most of what was said because otherwise the minutes would have read "sksdjfadiineklfakdfdi"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was good at the original Trivial Pursuit but then the subsequent editions, not so much. Once all is done on the house, I'd like to get more frequent game nights.

      Delete
  3. I played trivia a lot when I was in college. It was fun. I always say that Hub's and I are bastions of useless information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when you'll need to know James Madison is considered the father of the Library of Congress.

      Delete
  4. LOL That sounds like a blast. I have Trivial Pursuit 80s edition and every other answer is Madonna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do well in the 8's category. Madonna was a pivotal 80's gal!

      Delete
  5. Your trivia night sounds like a lot of fun. I used to be a trainer at an insurance company in the property underwriting department - I know exactly what you mean. It drives me (and my husband who is now a sales trainer) crazy when people don't record relevant points then re-ask the same questions over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was better, she did take notes and did some research on questions of her own.

      Delete
  6. "They", whoever they are, say to always go with your first response and don't over think it. Easy for THEM to say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes senses, but we are very impulsive so the team helps out think a bit more.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.