Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-Settling or Settled In Edition

Spendthrifts abound that feel money is for spending and making life better. It's great if the paycheck supports, but if by the day or two before being paid is filled with stress, or worse, the lifestyle is paid for with money not earned and sitting in a credit card balance, life really wasn't made better by spending. Other folks are the super tightwads (and that is not a slam), figuring out how to maximize every dollar they take in, spending as little as possible, and figuring out how to first make do or mend before buying. A third mid range category I might describe as economical in their spending behaviors. Without really giving it much thought, they generally price compare, but don't get caught up in it to the point of causing spending paralysis. At times if the price is just too high, they will just walk away, do without, or find an alternative. While they can splurge once decided it is worth the expenses, in general lives are lived feeling comfortable in spending enough for needs and wants, but not giving much attention to the latest, the most trendy, or the most exclusive. Obviously people aren't either spendthrifts or tightwads but range all over the spending spectrum. I like to think I am in the economical group, settled in with a healthy view of what money is for now and in the future, but I try not to let thoughts of it occupy my day to day life. I think I am settled in and not feeling like I am just settling in my lifestyle. 

Pausing on occasion, like I do weekly on capturing my economy, helps me on my tight waddery side, even though most are very passive wins. I splurge when the calling is there, but it's not often, and it generally is for long term needs or joys. Here's my Thrifty Thursday captures for the week. My last one is for DD2s orchestra so I ended with her on stage and a mom-daughter pic. Happy Thursday! 

  • We have been mostly eating what is on hand as I haven't gone grocery store shopping other than a quick pick up of a few items. I think I can stretch since I'll just pick up food on route to the lake. I've maximized the leftovers and am keeping my fridge clutter free.
  • Twice I had the urge to stop for coffee this week on route. For one urge, I just quickly microwaved the last of the pot and threw in a travel mug. The second urge day I stopped and just bought an 18 count box of my favorite  spicy and sweet black tea for my desk, for the same cost as one take out coffee.
  • Stocked up on bottled water for DD2's grad party when the already low cost at Aldi dropped another 80 cents a case, saving $8. This party will not be cheap so this passive way to save a few dollars will help. 
  • Entertainment budget has been cheap this week with my $4 concert ticket, free Netflix, and no meals out. I did have a couple beers at Trivia, but my daughter picked up chips at Aldi for snacking. Through June, since we have so many graduation parties, we should rarely go out to eat. 
  • Seniors get extra little perks and one was they could choose to wear a dress or outfit of their choice rather than concert blacks. They decided since there was a space music theme, to wear tie die. This win is my daughters, but one of the girls who loves to tie dye, for $5 a kid, made each of the seniors a shirt. Great memento for very little cost. 




14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of you and your daughter! As for spending habits, I like to think that I am a naturally frugal person who makes and sticks to a budget, takes advantage of sales, repurposes, makes do or does without unless something is an absolute need. I have made mistakes in the past but they were not very big ones. I have entertainment and vacation built into my budget and some vacations may be big splurges like the upcoming one in the US but, I am going to turn 53 soon and while I am healthy, I would like to have that vacation. That will probably be my last biggest splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our big vacation last year was probably it, at that level, but I sure would like as my family starts families of their own, to bring everyone together. Travel for just DHS and I shouldn't be that expensive, but probably will be US bound for the near future. Still, you have a point about travel while healthy.

      Delete
  2. BEEEE-YOOOOOOOO-TEEEEEE-FULL!!!!
    Thanks goodness for h.s. music programs. The one thing I am sad about with my DS enrolling in Running Start is that he didn't sing in chamber choir for his senior year. The choir program was a true joy for him in what were some otherwise difficult years. (Our band director is a wet rag, but that's a different story.)
    I like how you said "Settling in, not settling." I think that sort of describes me. I did splurge yesterday though...whoa, baby, did I ever. Both my sewing machines broke. Both were bottom line models, a circal 1990 Singer, and 2008 Kenmore. I took them to the shop, where they said my Singer would cost $159.00 to fix, (more than that level of machine cost new) and my Kenmore needed $50.00 worth of parts. We agreed to order the parts for the Kenmore, but.... two hours later, after playing with various machines, I walked out with a new Pfaff. I used to say I didn't deserve a nice machine--other than making quilts, I am a utilitarian seamstress at best. Quilting, though, is my happy place. I figured this will be the last sewing machine I will ever have. (The Kenmore will be my "beater" machine...sort of like how we need a pickup on this farm.)
    Congratulations to your DD. Oh, those years were thrilling, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you said, you will have that machine likely the rest of your life, so the cost per use is low. Plus, you are a utilitarian sewer so likely are saving money repairing rather than replacing, so while a splurge, sounds very practical. It is crap when even teachers can make challenges harder at school as their supposed to be the trusted ones. Does the community college have a choir? Our local one does-it is wonderful and I know most of the choir kids that are going to attend are planning on the choir.

      Delete
  3. Great tie-dye, and a lovely pic of you two!

    I like to think I stay away from the spendthrift side, though I do occasionally indulge when stress gets to be too much. It's usually a takeout meal or maybe a new thrift store shirt, not pricey shoes/clothes or other expensive stuff. Still, I'm definitely one who is willing to spend on quality if the occasion demands it. And will sometimes spend just as an indulgence (a night out with friends, for example, which isn't cheap). So I guess I fall in the middle of the spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the shirt great-each one was similar, but unique at the same time. DD2 and I splurged on a BOGO Starbucks Frappacino after her dermatologist appointment. It was a little mom daughter time, but no way would I have bought two at $3.91 a pop for essentially vanilla slush with whipped cream. (It was tasty though).

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful picture of the two of you! The tie dye idea is such a great idea, there are enough costs involved for graduation as it is, everyone can afford $5 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids were all very pleased and they looked awesome in their group picture. Yeah, $5 was nothing compared to all the other expenses and C said "she loves her some tie dye action" so was quite pleased to make them for her friends.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, lovely Mom and DD2 photo!
    I am kind of in the economical group. There is no deal out there I can't walk away from if it is no what I want to spend, but I feel no guilt making well thought out purchases. And I will pay for upgrades if the upgrade will make a long term difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very over "stuff" and too feel like I should be able to walk away-and I did today form the Target clearance racks. I'm not buying new clothes and DD2 wasn't feeling like she needed anything either. Big win.

      Delete
  6. What a great picture! Enjoy these moments fly by too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we got a drink after l a little Target stop, there was a baby in a stroller just looking at his mama with nothing but love. I must say it made me a little teary. DD2 noticed as well. This is all bitter sweet. I want her to soar as I wanted with the other two, but it seems to have gone so fast.

      Delete
  7. Love the photo of you two! You both look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely concert. I seem to usually look my worst in photos, but cropped out a bit on this one!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.