Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Managing Health in Times of Chaos

Chaos might be an extreme word for my life right now, but it definitely has a lot of disruptions. Besides happy things that are keeping me busy like getting ready to celebrate my daughters graduation, there's an extended family situation that is sullying the experience. I've got a huge change that needs to be implemented at work at the turn of the fiscal year, July 1, and no one in upper management nor the finance area has a clue how we are supposed to go about setting up the structure. Did I mention I have a five day business trip mixed in between the party and the end of the month?

I've resolved that nothing is going to be as I wanted on the house for the party, but it will be good enough. With the snowy April and the rain and cold heading well into May, the yard just didn't get the attention it needed. Still, when I've been at other grad parties, I'm not noticing anything but the people there to talk with, the photos and awards displayed, the delicious selection of food and beverages, and of course the happy graduate. If any one is bothered by anything not being perfect, then that is their issue, not mine. I'm trying to garner that more positive attitude about myself and things in my life. If I am satisfied, things that bother someone else is their issue. For me, the house is more organized right now than it has been in years and I need to hold that.

Weight wise-I'm not doing the best towards my summer goals. I am a chaos and stress eater. I often reach for the first snack, usually not healthy, when famished. I did not reach the first seven pound target, but the positive is I have not gained. That too I am taking as a success. My body took a toll helping to set up and then work the All Night Party a the school. Getting pup for a walk or taking the long route to the bathroom is the most  exercise I can muster this week, besides cleaning and prepping food. But, I'm trying to add more steps to those things at least. While I may not be moving forward managing my physical and mental health, I am at least doing better than just treading water. In times of stress, chaos, or just  a lot of disruptions in life, that seems like the best I can do. 

17 comments:

  1. Your best is good enough. Even somewhere in the ball park is good enough. It is all about the people and celebrating your daughter anyway. Along the way we have been sold a bill of goods about perfect entertaining, but most of us do not have a props department or have a daily staff working for us. I remember when my folks would have company just for coffee and cake and they always had a good time. I blame that damn Martha Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's blame Martha! lol I miss when people would just stop over for coffee and cake. Nobody does that anymore. :-(

      Delete
    2. The party was not Martha Stewartess at all, but it was fun and the people seemed to have a very good time. I don't have a team of visual artists, but I had my older daughter!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree. Your best is good enough. For the health/weight loss, is there one change that you can commit to for a month? I say this for you, as I always feel so good, even when I am able to make one small change. For example, if you normally snack on chips for your 6:00 making dinner snack, instead sub for hummus & veggies. Or, taking the stairs at a time you normally take the elevator. Making one day of the week sugar/treat free & skipping dessert. Sometimes I just need one healthy move to kick me in the right direction, even when my life is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I think eliminating sugar as much as possible (though dark chocolate can't possibly count!), and increasing my raw vegetable intake by a serving a day are two simple changes I can make immediately.

      Delete
  3. Yay for you for being good with "good enough for me". If anyone is honestly judging you or your home at that party then they don't deserve to be there. You will likely get back on track healthwise in July - stress and being super busy aren't conducive to those goals. I do have one suggestion which I do on purpose for both additional steps for myself and for my 76 year old mother to get more exercise - park in the furthest possible corner of the parking lot. It doesn't matter what you are doing be it grocery shopping or going to the Dr. It's a tiny thing that usually doesn't add time to your errands but does help get in more steps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes-I really should look for farther spots. Ove the course of a week, the steps would really add up.

      Delete
  4. i forget to eat and then gorge on all the wrong things. Chips chocolate, cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that has been my problem the last few weeks. I don't plan enough or skip a regular lunch, and then it is whatever I can eat quickly. Not a good plan.

      Delete
  5. That's a great attitude. People will love your party, so don't stress over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I still stressed, but my older daughter, and then my son, helped so much. They were rock stars. The party was really fun.

      Delete
  6. As always, you have a lot on your plate so I'm glad you're cutting yourself some slack. And you're right, things don't have to be perfect. You're the only one that notices the imperfections anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many projects started and not completed, but we did what we could and enjoyed ourselves. Anyone for left overs?

      Delete
  7. what a strong woman you are! Good for you !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey - I think housework definitely counts as exercise! I know it makes my back hurt. It's a busy time of year but it will pass. Plan some nice forest walks and you'll feel more relaxed and with time thinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body has felt al this extra housework. Now-can I just keep anything clean and tidy, I could maybe salvage my back.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.