Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Flu Shots-Got Mine

     I've been getting a flu shot since I was pregnant with my youngest. I don't really remember there being much talk about flue shots  earlier than that and that was fall of 2000. I followed my doctors recommendation and got one, wanting to do whatever I could to help keep my baby safe. With two other kids in the house, I couldn't afford time wise to be sick either. I've just sort of gotten one ever since. I don't really know if they have protected me or not. I seem to get some sort of upper respiratory thing each year and three years ago, both DD2 and I, first her then me, ended up with the bad strain of flu that put you down for over a week. DH won't get one again. One, he hates needles with a passion and is too old for the alternative which I thought I read was 16-49. Two, his one and only shot, he swears, made  him death bed ill. He still recants the details each year when I share I got my shot.

     Both my last employer and current have flu shot clinics one day a year. I've pretty much done this except the odd year or two when I had a schedule conflict. It was quick, and for me, painless. I honestly yesterday did not even feel the needle and was actually surprised that when I took the band aid off later, there was a bit of blood on the pad. I will say though, even though tiredness is not a supposed side effect, each year in the evening I do feel a bit wiped out. Last night was no exception. All we had to do was show our medical card and there was no charge. I don't think there was one in the clinic either, but this was definitely convenient. Of course a work place wants it's employees to stay flu free. I'm sure someone has done some math calculation of the cost of investing in an on site clinic compared to potential lost productivity days. I have over 320 sick hours accrued. I don't use much sick time and usually stagger my appointments to be as least disruptive as possible, but true sick days are hard to make up work wise. 

     I went to bed early and gave myself another 30 minutes of wake-up sleep. My coffee pot is so pokey-doubt I'll get a first cup in before I need to get dressed and on the road. I love travel cups for that reason though. You would think though if I start the pot before I get in the shower, it could be just about done when I am. My older daughter is having me for dinner tonight. She thinks she has perfected a bean burger recipe and is going to make them with some oven fries. I'm going to try and get out of the office a little early so I can walk pup and not be too late to her house. Have a good Tuesday.

12 comments:

  1. I've always gotten a flu shot too except for the year when they didn't have enough. Even if we do get the flu it will be less severe with the shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working in schools, I'm sure you get exposed to every strain there is.

      Delete
  2. DH gets his flu shot every year. This year, he dropped me off at our favorite grocery store. I thought he was going to sit in the car and rest, but when I came out, he was gone. I loaded the car, and got in to see him exiting the store. Turns out he ran in and got a flu shot!
    My kids choose to get theirs. This year, the college is giving them this week for $10. I refuse to get one. Like your husband, the one year I got mine, I also got ill that weekend with a stomach bug, the first time I had been sick with one in years, and the worst I could remember having since being a child. Yes, I realize it probably had nothing to do with the flu shot, and everything to do with picking something up at the clinic where we received them. In any case, never again for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medical field does make it convenient. I truly don't know if I am more protected than not, but I feel like I am. I do wish DH would give it another go.

      Delete
  3. Never had one. My doctor doesn't think they are necessary. Some people I know are very happy getting one every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that different doctors would have such different views.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! Not only for your own health's sake but for the sake of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 2006 my husband had a really bad case of flu. It was the beginning of his downward health spiral. I also had a milder case of flu following his (our Dr. prescribed Tamiflu for me as soon as she saw my husband). Since then, every year we both take a flu shot. Also, have taken pneumonia vaccines. Penny S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know there was pneumonia vaccines. Both last year and three years ago my upper respiratory illness progressed to pneumonia. Awful stuff.

      Delete
  6. They used to offer them at work too but I never got one. Oddly enough I seemed to be the only one who never got the flu!!! But then, as my Irish colleague said, whenever our French colleague left the office we had the windows wide open because we couldn't stand the stuffiness. Not sure it made a difference but it made us two very happy! (I bet my French colleague is SO glad I retired and she can keep the windows shut all the time. Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in a stale office environment. DH has lots of time outside. There might be something to your thoughts.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.