Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Positively Tuesday-Workplace Safe

      


     First, thanks for all the kind words yesterday. I've had to learn, still am learning, to be outgoing and try not to be self defacing with any compliment or nicety. It helps a girls soul to know that vulnerable parts of us can be accepted and we can be lifted up in friendship. I'll try to do more so and will take the camera angle recommendations to heart. I honestly thought you took pictures form higher to make them look better. I hear my SIL chirp in every group photo to whoever is taking the picture, "Go high." as she said it shows our better angles. Now I know better. 

     My trip to the office was quite uneventful. I  filled out the paperwork quickly for my flu shot, and within five minutes, was leaving one door of the building to go through the  mail rom where the official health checks need to be captured. I was good since I had that at the flu shot station, purple wrist band to prove it. It was nice sharing a few words with one of our HR staff. He's a teddy bear of a man, so helpful and nice to everyone'd him sharing with the nurse doing the check-ins that he loved his job so much because he was probably the only one that got to know everyone in the  agency. As someone though that uses a shortened version of their name, he always calls me by my full name, and. I'm just used to it now from hm. 

     Our building is a very long building with two sections of main floor, merged together through a breezeway, and the East side of the building has a basement floor that tapers to ground level in the back of the building. The mail room entrance is on the west side, southern entrance, and the breezeway is  more middle. I had to walk through a pretty much dark building to almost the farthest corner of the East side to where my office was. The lights were on in part on that side, but I did see Rosa, who had gotten her shot right before me, one of the cleaning staff, so perhaps she was starting her afternoon rounds. One other colleague stopped by, using the tie for both a computer  diagnosis and flu shot. We visited for a bit, she standing outside my office and both of us with masks. I had shut my door and worked mask free since we are allowed to do that in our own space. 

     Other mitigations are one way directional tape in the hallways, done  by hand so the lines weren't quite straight. What a back breaking task that must have been in this huge building. Paper cups were taped over all drinking fountains, and near every shared piece of equipment, printers, microwaves, etc. were bottles of hand sanitizers. Bathroom doors were propped open, with touchless paper towel dispensers.. And of course, signs were everywhere to remind folks to mask up. If we start going back at 1/3 to 1/2 capacity, I feel pretty good about the safety measures. 

     It was a bit sad though. I was going to post a picture of the empty atrium but since it's my work place, I thought I better not. Usually a bustling place for causal small meetings, coffee and meal chats and staff activities, now chairs are gone around the tables, and the black couches and chairs usually grouped into a little pod area, surrounding a table are now. spread the six feet apart. The table chairs might have been stacked as the carpets were shampooed and perhaps they will be replaced. 

     I had left on  Friday, March 20, and we were just starting to have fewer people in the office and was expecting to be back in the following Tuesday-Wednesday. My desk was a mess with papers, and post it note reminders. I tidied that up before I left yesterday, but I needed to vacate the  buildig before 5:00 so I didn't have time to do a better job. I did learn that we are going to need cameras for our  monitors or be stuck using our lap tops, even in the office, for virtual meetings, or at least I'm going to need to figure out a better way to use my big screen and the laptop camera at the same time. The commute how was incredibly calm, taking only 45 minutes from office to driveway during the height of rush hour, a 10-15 minute time savings. I doubt that will always be the case as more people return to the office. 

     That's my report of my trial afternoon back in the office. If people keep themselves home when sick or symptomatic, follow the  safety protocols, and we stagger in office work days, I think my office will be a safe place for work. 

24 comments:

  1. Great post dear,love it!
    xoxo
    beautyqueen000.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go high when taking a selfie or a close-up to "ehem" hide the double-chin which I do have :)

    I hope people will be very careful so, going back to the office will be safe. Everybody needs some social interaction and a feeling of normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the high photo didn't work for that then did it! I think I found four chins in the photo. I think part of the delay in even bringing people back slowly is the shortage of cleaning supplies and time it takes to get testing results. The little bit of interaction I've gotten isn't enough for me in the long run, but I'll keep doing my bit.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like they have a good setup in place to keep you safe. We aren't going back until July (well, mandatorily, some employees may receive the option to go back, and they will prioritize those who don't have a good working space at home - roommates, small kids underfoot with another caregiver, etc). After that, we will likely permanently move to a flex work arrangement, that will be something like 2-3 days/week in the office. I'm thrilled, as that would be my desired work balance. Wish we could have gotten to flexibility without a pandemic, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure our work place will be changed forever going forward as well. There are though so many things that are missing with no human face to face and old fashion brainstorming on a white board. Plus the fun factor-when you spend 40 hours+, it is nice to share a laugh with people, break bread, celebrate life events and that all seems so lost right now.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like they've done all they can to keep you safe, which is good. It's up to everyone that works there now. I think we can be safe in the workplace as long as co-workers are not socializing on the weekends or after work, that seems to be the biggest problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our work place could easily keep people safe if protocols are followed, but as you said, outside of work, not so much. I worry how long people with risk factors will still be at risk after a vaccine is found to be effective.

      Delete
  5. You have to vacate the building at 5 p.m.? I think that's great! you can't get sucked in to the "just one more thing," when finally half an hour more, you're walking out the door, but the phone rings, and you feel compelled to answer it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yesterday I did because we are not really on-site right now. We have to schedule time in the office and yesterday time only went until 5:00. That was not pre-pandemic hours.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sounds really safe to me, Sam. Sounds like they’ve done a good job of making the place as safe as possible. I’m glad the day was uneventful and your drive home went smoothly and saved you a little bit of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a think on how folks in cubicles will feel though. I have an office with a door. 80% of our team do not. Even though the are big cubicles and by design people would be at least 6 feet apart, but I think we'll need to figure a staggered time for a while.

      Delete
  7. Glad that precautions are being taken and that you feel safe with the plans in place. It would be horrible to have to go back if you didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course being the only soul on that whole end of a large building, I felt pretty safe. I also have a good degree of trust with my coworkers who all seem to have vulnerable people in their lives and are not likely to take risks.

      Delete
  8. One of the only positives of the pandemic is more people working from home and a shorter commute isn't it! But at least you made it there and back so that's another "first"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess god for air quality with fewer cars on the road too. I think I am as safe there as I am with DH potentially bringing home his work stuff each day. I thin our precautions are better than his store.

      Delete
  9. Sound policies! I would hate to be walking the hallways in a mostly empty building though. Things like that give me the heebie jeebies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so used to be one of the last ones when I do work late, it doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  10. I would be nervous going back, but I think with all they have done you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read your busy posts, so I think I saw or had potential contact with fewer people than you might with your shop.

      Delete
  11. When taking a selfie or just someone taking your picture, you get up the nostril pictures. If everyone abides by the rules, you will be safe, unlike the grocery store clerks and customers who feel leaving the nose uncovered is okay. Oh, and the people who wear it on the chins--don't know what they are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in a place that rules are heavily followed, so I can't imagine people pushing it. I do laugh, but not in a funny way. about people not getting how to wear a mask. Do they not understand how breathing works?

      Delete
  12. I did all the signage/arrows and PPE set-up for my office (I'm THAT person!), and it was a huge task. I also had to clear off all 250+ desks of personal items and box them up, and mark off useable/non-useable desks for when we have people back. My company was planning on bringing people back this month, but has not pushed that back to January 2021 due to rising COVID cases. I am still working in my mostly-empty office 3 days a week!

    You'll be fine - just keep your distance, and wear your mask, and wash your hands. Don't worry too much about carpets/surfaces, as COVID doesn't stick to them for longer than a few hours. You'd only be in danger if someone sneezed/coughed on something directly without having a mask on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my admiration for doing the work for your office. I think I will feel safe because I trust others will care enough for their colleagues. I'm guessing I'll be a two = three day in office worker. It will depend on who needs to stay at home longer.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.