Saturday, January 23, 2021

Travel on My Mind

 

     A link on The Most Perfect Road Trip came up in my news feed from some Kitchen page I follow. Oh my juices are flowing for planning a good road trip. I shared it on my Facebook  page mostly so I could find the article later. A couple of my sisters popped notes in the comments about doing a sisters trip. That would be eight of us because of course we would include my sister-in-law who I've never not known. Really there is no reason we couldn't do this-none of us have any kids at home, me being the last empty nester. 

     While making the full 360 degree trip in one go would be pretty impossible until a few of us retire, picking one path might be an option. Doable. I can't see though the oldest sister wanting to be in a car or van that long. She's sort of a homebody anyway, other than in her younger years she loved going to Vegas. We used to do a sister's weekend, but the last one where we rented a  cabin about two hours away was the weekend before my sister passed away. While some have vacationed together, and we still do a shopping day that starts with breakfast out, a mid afternoon happy hour, and ending with dinner and girls poker night, it hasn't been the same. Needless to say, we didn't even do that this year. C'est la vie de pandemic. 

     I'm drafting this blog post while watching Hannah Ricketts vlog on her lock down wanderings using her one hour of daily exercise to walk and take us along to lovely London neighborhoods. She clicked and showed several houses for sale on a certain street. They ranged between 1,600,000 to 1,800,000 pounds! I mentioned the other day Stanley Tucci's Italy, and Laurie was kind to put the start date, February 14th, in the comments. I think these tours from my television will be what I have for quite a while. I can still plan though. It's unreal to think my daughter was on route to New Zealand a year ago. Now, I'm leery crossing the bridge into Wisconsin! 

     I went along with Hannah to the London Zoo. I had to agree and share her disdain to see people coming off a ramp, not wearing masks (as is the requirement) and leaving paper cups just laying on a ledge, not being bothered to deposit their garbage. What makes people behave this way! I swallowed hard when she mentioned her discounted fee was 26 pounds for her visit!  Well, our local Minnesota Zoo is I think $19.95 so considering the location, I guess it's on par. The animals need to be taken care of pandemic or no pandemic. 









     I'm not keen on staying in a hotel at the time being, though even my son who is more careful about the virus than anyone I know, did for work. They had very strict bubbles, and still ended up barely getting the project done before they had more cases than they could sustain after isolating staff. I think I may plan some day trips, map them out for relatively nice days. Some would be pup friendly and others  would need to work for our daughter's schedule to come hang with him like she did when we visited our daughter four hours away. There's only a few things we can do in the Twin Cities, and because most things need to be reserved, it feels like  planning a trip. No impromptu outings. You need reservations for both zoo's and the museums are not open but may start with limited hours at the end of the month, with reservations, and limited capacity. I guess that will feel as safe as I do when grocery shopping. Our best bet continues to be different county or state parks, dressed warm, and bringing our own food and drink. Add zoo's and museums to the the list of 1,000 that I will never  under appreciate again. 

     I have no shortage of vacation time banked, and will replace in short order any I use. DH has 15 days to use in  2021, and he will use at least 6 planning to take three combination Friday Saturdays off this summer giving him three Thursday-Sunday weekends at the cabin. I think we might stay there Sunday-Thursday a few times as well, since he could just go to work from there, but still get a nightly swim and an outing with the boat. If things still don't feel safe to us for air or hotel staying, we'll likely take another fall week at the cabin.

     I'd like to reschedule our Las Vegas trip but that requires flying. I think a fall driving trip down the Mississippi roadways could be a really nice trip-Minnesota to New Orleans. Where will you plan to go once we are free to move about the cabin? Are you likely to stay closer to your home communities, or are you going to make up for lost time? Regardless of what country, if you have a road trip to recommend, please share. 

22 comments:

  1. As a Wisconsin resident, I'd advise you NOT to cross that bridge! Now our crazy legislature wants to end the mask mandate. Years ago I did the drive along the river road to St Louis with my niece. So much to see, plan it out. I'd love to go out west to see the Grand Canyon. Some day! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course there's a lot of angwr over Minnesota having too many restrictions and driving business to Wisconsin. The St Louis drive sounds great. We'll do something this fall- even if just the cabin again.

      Delete
    2. As another WI resident, I agree with Celie. This legislature is out of their minds. No matter WHAT our Gov does to try and keep us safe, they laugh about it and get it changed. It is amazing there still are some of us alive here. We go nowhere. Grocery store, Kohl's, & Target curbside pick-ups only, along with Amazon. We usually do take-out maybe once a week. Haven't been in a restaurant since Feb 29, 2020. We have done a couple of Mississippi River Road trips over the past years and they are beautiful!! Traveling now, or soon, is not on our horizon for some time yet. We are on the list for a vaccine, but there is none available here for the past 3 weeks. We are only 25 miles from Madison, so it isn't like we are in the boonies. BUT, we DO have a Dem Gov, and up until Jan 20, that did seem to make a difference to the powers who WERE in charge. Hopefully that will change soon!!!! Chris

      Delete
  2. We are planning on going to North Carolina to the coast this coming Summer. My parents want to take everyone as we have been in each other bubbles, however it may not be possible. Even if they can't go, Bill and I are thinking about renting a condo on the beach.
    I have been feeling cooped up as well. I need to get some road trip/day trips ideas on the calendar....so hard to plan now due to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got fresh snow so if not uce cold will plod outside a bit. That's my weekend road trip.

      Delete
  3. Definitely feeling cooped up here as well, but looking forward to our summer trip in June to Hawaii with my parents (COVID dependent, of course). I'm optimistic things may be more settled by then, and both of my parents should have received a vaccine (65+).

    Otherwise, I'd love a girls trip to the Oregon coast in April. No hotel, but would require a 90 minute flight. I take a weekly COVID test (as does my husband),as supplied by work, so depending on how things pan out with numbers, I might consider it. Mostly the planning gives me enjoyment. :-)

    The boys have the week off in February, and we're struggling to find anything to do. The aquarium was Sam's major request, and that's closed. Hiking would be an option if the weather is okay. I hate to just have them at home while we work, as it's too much electronics time on a normal day. But, we'll see where we net out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son thought nothung will resume until late February at the earliest in LA. We don't have great weather but Im trying to make the most of it.

      Delete
  4. Travel used to be our passion, but we don't do it anymore. I became a homebody when we moved to the Puget Sound region. Also, I dislike driving/riding in cars for long distances. IF I were to travel again, though, I'd love to go to back to the U.K. with my kids, and spend about two weeks in London. I don't think even that would be enough time to do all I would like to do. It will be a long time, however, before I feel comfortable getting in a metal tube with recycled air, however. Planes are disgusting. The joke was that my husband always picked up "something at the office" during flu season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-Covid I wiped down everything in the plane. I want to get to so many places, and eventually have weeks in same places, London being on the list.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely no travel plans for us until after we get the vaccine and even then not until it's under control overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The herd immunity challenge is real. I'm worried about my husband getting it as he was so sick last year. He's just young enough to be out of priority.

      Delete
  6. I think a road trip with your sisters sounds great. I know I would have had a lot of fun with my sisters! As for me, I'm starting to get the travel itch (which I guess is not about to get scratched any time soon) but long distance I want to go to Mexico, Viet Nam and Thailand and short haul I'm thinking Greece, Turkey or maybe just drive/train down to Italy. The thought of it makes me salivate, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of all the close places you can go. Mexico technucally is doable- Americans that don't care or believe are going there regularly.

      Delete
  7. We are less than an hour from St. Louis and the zoo there is amazing and free except for parking and any shows you wan to see.
    We're hoping the Japanese Festival at the St. Louis Botanical garden will happen this year. It's always in September. I don't know but I don't have much hope for this to be contained any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're teh second St Louis recommender. Definitely sounds like a doable road trip. My good friends daughter is being moved today to a small apartment as she attends Washington University but they won't stay in a hotel, but are bringing air mattresses and driving all day, leaving early.

      Delete
  8. Well we had hoped to go to Disneyworld to celebrate our son's graduation, but I don't think that is going to happen this year. I also wanted to do one of those cross country train trips and stop to travel the canyonlands, but I don't think that is going to happen this year either. Will keep it on my bucket list. Maybe we can do some camping trips this summer and a trip to the Smokies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter felt safe on her campung road trip last August. Just feeling like we can move around a bit would be nice.

      Delete
  9. My sister and I are going to start taking some day trips as soon as we sell Mom's house. It is going to be a way of rewarding ourselves for getting the place cleared and sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wuth nuce weather, you could have some nice drives and picnics. You deserve the reward.

      Delete
  10. This coming Saturday, depending on weather, we might drive up to Erie PA. It’s basically a straight shot for us, 2.5 hour drive. We’ve never seen the lake in the winter. And our favorite donut place, Tim Horton’s, is up there too. It’s probably a good thing we don’t have one close to us! I feel like we could do this very safely and we could all do with a change of scenery. Let’s just see if Mother Nature cooperates. I don’t know how people can travel right now. One of my coworkers friends just came back from Belize! Apparently prices are cheap (insert eye roll here) I still have a hard time going out to eat! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blown away when I hear recreation travel. My sister and her husband think their doing a cruise in February. I didn't think any cruises are happening. Same rationale-got a great deal. Eye roll as well.

      Delete
  11. I would very much like a road trip - provided we could find a safe place to be.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.