Friday, April 16, 2021

Whole Lot of Weather

 



     For my weekly Friday W's, I'm starting with  a new one-Weather. We have had sun, rain, snow, and even a little heat-in the car later afternoon that is when I went to collect something. April in Minnesota brings a whole lot of weather changes and we never know what we might get day to day. I wish weather was the top story in my state, but sadly, the whole world seems to know where Minnesota is right now, and not for good reasons. 

 What's top of mind: Life was pretty "normal" this past week for my life, but anything but what should be the norm in  my Minnesota communities. I am flooded with thoughts on the latest police shooting that resulted in the death of a young black man in my state, while also seeing headlines of other stories where  the outcome for white people involved in police interaction had very different results. Is it media exploitation as some are screaming when they then throw "facts" and stats out to  justify and minimize the tragedy? But if the media doesn't throw a spotlight, how will people know these discrepancies are happening? I won't condone the riots, looting and physical damage and assault on neighborhoods, but am trying to listen through the noise. Of particular note, I didn't hear anyone tell the rioters that they are "special" and "we love you." Enough said

Where I've been:  No one cares any more that I went to Trader Joe's but that was my big outing! I'm out of coffee-forgot twice in the last week to buy it, so I splurged and ran this morning and bought cup through the drive through. Riveting excursions, I know. Oh, and I took a walk in the spitting rain with the dog over to the mail box by the grocery store to mail RSVP's back for a wedding. 

Where I'm going: It was quick, but the book for book club is ready for pick-up so I scheduled a time for the end of the day. Other than a very light grocery shop-coffee-I don't have a need to go anywhere, though I am still wanting new pots and need to do some transfers, Plus, I'd like to get  the wildflower seeds. I am already seeing little sprouts from the sunflower and Forget me Nots are poking through from last Sunday. Maybe it was the peat compound, but maybe the plastic wrap creating a little green house, I think I will try that with outside seeds. Thoughts?

What I'm reading:  As mentioned, I'll be picking up the book club read for May, The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. If we get enough sun and warmth, I'll be happy to sit on the porch wrapped in a blanket, mug in hand, with a new or through books, go visit some old friends. 

What I'm listening to: I listened on Monday t a lot of the BBC coverage of the death of Prince Phillip. Of course my probably incorrect knowledge came form The Crown, so learning more form people that actually knew of his life was interesting. I think there was a news story about the BBC though getting  a record umber of complaints regarding the coverage-too much perhaps? 

What I'm eating:  We had another week with ho hum meals. But, DH was hungry for good burgers and offered to cook Sunday, so  happy to step aside. Then last night, he felt like pasta and made  penne with mushroom and tomato sauce with garlic bread last night while I was still working. he even emptied the dishwasher and cleaned up! I'll take it and wont' complain. My meal plan is all off, so no clue what I will make tonight. I reserved some of his sauce for homemade pizza and we do have some veg to use up and I bought pepperoni at TJ's last weekend. Perhaps homemade pizza. 

Who I'm paying attention to: I'm really stepping back from social media, Facebook in particular, as I am absolutely sickened by some of the posts and comments I have read by people I have known most of my life or their life. This is what the last  four years have done-let everyone with hateful, racist, biggotted thoughts feel free to post self righteous, nauseating crap. I won't respond, just make a mental note of who to have as little contact as possible with, and remove from my radar. 

What I'm planning: With vaccines happening in my family, I am turning to thoughts of summer and getting together with people. Schedules will fill fast so am going to reach out to some friends about the week we have the extra cabin in August. Things are still on the fence about Mother's Day. I'd personally would rather just take my MIL out for dinner one night the week before or after as my SIL said she would have her for dinner on the evening of Mother's Day. We already are seeing family the day before and limiting my time, particularly in a pandemic, racial justice, and politically charged world, with people that have a lot of different views than myself is wise. Then, there is planning a fall road trip-not off my radar. Lot's of things to plan, but most not until after May when I am part of the fully vaccinated crowd.

     I'm sorry this was a bit more of a downer for a Friday-this isn't what I want my blog to be. I use my Friday W's as a bit of mind purge, so I can get things off my head since I am limited in who I can have conversations with these days. This week was a hard one, so my Friday post reflects this, but writing my thoughts is a release for me. I'd love some fun and humor though so if you'd like to join me, drop your World of W's in the comments. 

17 comments:

  1. This is your blog and we come here to read your thoughts, so no need to apologize! I’m so sad over what happened in Minnesota and waking up to hear what happened in Indiana. So they shut down the J&J vaccine over a small amount of people having a terrible reaction to it (not to belittle that in any way) so when will we shut down gun sales since 8 people died in yet another mass shooting? I’m not holding my breath. It’s been an average week here, my dad and two friends got their second shots this week. I’ve stuck to my meal plan but did treat myself and my daughter to Chick-fil-A. I stayed as low carb as I could so I’m calling it guilt free. Tonight is homemade pizza (the kids have been wanting to do this so it’s more about the activity than the taste lol) and I may try a cauliflower crust for myself or just do a low carb burrito instead. I added a low impact HIIT routine to my weights this morning and I’m not trying to undo my work with dinner! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I support the constitution, but the gun nuts have made this country so desensitized to the ramification of irresponsible use, foolishly thinking Joe Blow with his own gun is going to be the one to stop that bad guy with a gun. Other countries have figured out that not preventing ownership, but having better tracking because of licensing, and not glorifying gun ownership and stats back it up, prevents gun violence. I have hunters, military, and law enfroment in my circle of friends and family. No one myself included, has said we want their guns taken away but something has to be done to reduce their presence.

      Delete
  2. I expect the local Minnesota news is even worse than what we're hearing over here so you have every right to be down! I also agree with you about maybe cutting down on time spent on social media if it's getting to you. Just this week my (presumably drunk) ex posted the most incoherent, racist crap on FB, all about "shutting the border and damn immigrants". This from a guy who happily forgets that he was "a damn immigrant" himself for 30 years! I know, I know, I shouldn't look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hate is rampant, and the ignorance more so. It is so hard as I know people directly impacted by the violence, riots, and racial injustice. And, I feel for law enforcement that have hard jobs, but there needs to be more competence.

      Delete
  3. Well you know you are in Minnesota when you use your air conditioner and heater in the same day. I think it is sad that black men are getting killed. There is prejudice and it is very difficult , but death is death and these people have families that love just like we do. I would be tired of getting pulled over just because I was white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are roots that go 300+ years of racial injustice, but we should be doing better. I open the windows at night, and have to close when I first wake up-then the heat almost wants to kick on.

      Delete
  4. It's definitely wise to steer clear. I've been doing it for years and can recommend it. I'm the mother in law to be of a black man. Any grandchildren I'm blessed with will be bi-racial. I don't bite my tongue, so a lot of people are best avoided.The Brexit vote seemed to give people carte blanche to voice their abhorrent views and they're astonished that I don't share them.
    On a brighter note, it's been gloriously sunny again today, and I've been painting my bedroom, but managed several breaks in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have multiracial family members, and yet, have had tone deaf relatives make comments that are so out of line! The old, well, that's my family-doesn't include them- attitude. Same with FB "friends" deciding who are good minorities, and who are to be blamed.

      Delete
  5. I have to limit my exposure to news because I want to remain sane, not because I am trying to be an ostrich and avoid hearing about things. I prefer to read what has happened vs. seeing it. I had rather gather facts and decide for myself than have an anchor's perspective of it. I miss the older days of news when they just read the script without interjecting opinions.
    My recent visit to Trader Joe's was almost like I had gone on a vacation rather than a drive 15 minutes from my house! I get the excitement of going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree-reading and doing my own thinking is better for my mental health as well. I'm glad someone shares my thoughts on TJ's! I mean will I do my regular shopping ther? No, but to wander amongst new to me items, and have a little change is a good diversion especially these days. I even look at the organic, vegan, health section of my local store-it feels like a nice diversion and buying a little treat or two to sample with my girls is fun. I found new things to put in my Chex Mix-making it a vegan treat that was appreciated by my daughter, and unknown by others.

      Delete
  6. Im feeling exhausted by all these shootings. I steer clear of most social media, actually reading a few blogs is all I do on that. I've quit reading one due to racist comments by the blogger, tho I doubt they realize the racism expressed (I'd never commented, so just quietly deleted the link). It's sad the world is seeing this side of Minnesota. The Minnesotans I know are truly lovely people, and horrified by the police shootings. On a lighter note, I do enjoy shopping at TJ, but the closest one to me is over an hours drive, do it's a treat to go! Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to perhaps purge my blog rolls as well, which saddens me as I only included those that were interesting to me. The micro aggressive comments are really hard to read, and even if I pass on by, they are getting an audience. Likewise, I wouldn't expect anyone that disagrees with me on most issues to keep reading. I'm tring to treat lots of specialty (If you can call TJ specialty) as little vacations, as Anne said above. We have a new cheese shop-they started a the farmers market and now have a real store, and will stop today. I have a friend living in Mankato that drives 30 minutes every Saturday to a particular butcher to buy premium quality meats for his grill. Well done to him!

      Delete
  7. I am horrified that black men are still being shot. But, not allowing folk to have guns is not the answer. I think over the last 20 years people are showing less self-control and think they are entitled to kill to show their displeasure or dominance. I have been so sick of hearing about these black men unjustly murdered referred to by others as a "good boy." Then, we hear about their rap sheet and senseless crimes they committed. Death is always sad, no matter who it is or what they did.

    Since the inauguration, I watch and read less news. It is like the tension in my body has left.

    Hey, this is you blog, so write as you like. Besides, it did not seem like a downer. Everyday does not have to all sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard anyone ever say that banning guns is the request with gun reform. I also do not believe that it is right to justify a killing by later bringing up a victim's past rap sheet or history. Advocate and make efforts to fix the criminal justice and reform system, but don't blame the victim for being killed because his or her past. That's why there is both law and order-and due process.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry this has been a hard week. Sad times.
    I deactivated my fb account 4-5 years ago since I wasn't liking some people. I have no desire to catch up with them now either. I don't go to school reunions anymore.
    I wish we had a Trader Joes; sounds like they have some good foods. We will have an Earth Fare store opening soon, and I'm curious as to what it will be like.
    Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if I go to the next reunion. I didn't go to the 35th because we had our daughters family weekend, so in three more years might be the next one. Will there be any healing by then, who knows. Admittedly, I buy premade foods and ready stuff at Trader Joe's so if that kind of food is unappealing, you may not get the TJ kick I do. I find though these little treats, pulled out form time to time, ar epart of making life good-at a grocery store price!

      Delete
  9. Your Ws are more interesting than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.