Oh glorious Tuesday. I get through you and the rest of the week is a breeze. I tell myself that. However, each day, I wait to see if lightning, or roofs, or jack hammers, will strike a third time. Last weekend it was electricity from a roof flying off and taking out a power line. Sunday was the workers taking out a gas line Saturday night-thinking it was resolved, and then not, and no gas for most of the day. Of course DH only learned the gas was not back on after trying off and on for over an hour to get the water heater going Sunday morning. swearing and muttering the whole time. The gas company actually had to go house to house and do something both outside and inside.
Pup, and apparently every other dog in the neighborhood was having none of this strange vans and men walking around the neighborhood so it was 1/2 a day of a barking fest. The teen at the end of the block who lives with just his dad was very worried how it was going to work as he had to leave and his dad was at work. DH helped make arrangements so that they circled back to their house when his dad would be back home. We don't know if that happened. Something must have still been amiss, as a truck was at the house on the opposite side of the dad and teen as late as 6:00 yesterday when I took pup for his walk. It's life annoyances like this that can make life seem more stressful than it needs to be, but it also motivates me to track the positive things, the simple pleasures, and the small joys in my life. I too easy get in a negative mindset when things go wrong.
- Made a batch of PB, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I dropped off a plate to my daughter, and she and her friends were still there so I got to see them. Her friend L is so sweet. I later got reviews that they were delicious. I made just nine for DH and myself and froze the rest in unbaked dough balls.
- My young nephew got hurt at the end of his game on Saturday (not the joy). Later I had a text from his mom that he was wrapped up. lying down and wearing his sweatshirt we gave him for his birthday because he loved it as it was so soft.
- Treated myself to three small mums to replace the long since dead trio of plant for a planter. Now I have a couple places with pops of purple color.
- DH and I went out for dinner and had a very pleasant and efficient server. There was also two tables, one of boys and one of girls, with teens, each celebrating birthdays. It was fun to see some normalcy for young people. I laughed at the difference. The girls sang Happy Birthday, but from the boys table we just heard, "you get a free desert because it's your birthday."
- Had a long call with college kid who needed another copy of her passport, but we chatted about other things. DD1 let me know the Renaissance Fair was a lot of fun. I also was text chatting with my son during the Vikings game, and then later the Packers as he was making himself dinner. It was nice to hear from all three kids on Sunday.
- The Vikings finally won, and I didn't have as crabby of a football watching spouse. We were both frustrated that San Francisco let Green Bay move the ball enough to kick a field goal to win.
- While the evening football game was on, I scrolled around the local arts council's silent auction site. It closed at 8:00 p.m. and I bid on and won a couple good things for gifts-one for DH for our anniversary and either a Christmas or birthday gift for my older daughter. I need to run at noon to pick them up. I love a good silent auction. I would have gotten a Farmers market gift pack, complete with all the jams and honey and syrup, but someone slipped in right before the bids closed. I was going to give to my brother for his birthday, but now I'll just do an actual FM shop myself. He is a very minimalist kind of guy and treats would be more his style than a piece of clothing or other such stuff.
- Since I couldn't shower until late Sunday due to no hot water, I did some deep cleaning I neglected on Saturday. I dusted with polish, not just dry dusting, took off cushions, and vacuumed under furniture and truly perspired! I was happy to see that my living room looked presentable enough if someone stopped by. It has been neglected for quite a while.
- The new season of the British Baking Show started. I was pretty tired Sunday night when I remembered, so watched only episode one through the technical challenge. I really enjoy the show compared to US baking and cooking stuff which seems so fabricated and all for money, not joy of baking. I think the winner gets a cake plate.
- With the sun setting so early and me watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds, I ordered both girls new screeching key chain panic alarms. I hope they never have to press the button, but making sure they have one gives me a touch more peace of mind.