Monday, November 29, 2021

New Monday- New Focus

      After a good long weekend, Monday came as scheduled. As I type this, I'm mentally preparing to start my work week. I don't know if I mentioned this last week, but I've been partially redirected back to Covid testing. This came up very suddenly on Wednesday, and suddenly I had three meetings added to my calendar and 1/2 dozen emails forwarded. I'm not sure what specifically I'll be put in charge of, but I'll be spread thinner again. Fortunately I have both my fifth position on my team in place, who has been awesome so far, and we have an office support staff to ease many day to day time sucks. Neither was here summer and early fall 2020 when I last was part of the testing team. Covid is hitting schools and childcare hard again, so going back to last year's testing strategies and perhaps manage the spread better.

     I wasn't thrilled but since my job works in both child environments, several of thems in authority thought I'd be the best person. Of course my current work and projects don't go away. I'll try not to whine in this space, but in my head I need to prepare for long days again. Regardless of our part of the enterprise relocating, all offices are pushing back the return to office/new teleworking plan to keep even those ready to go back in the office by January, working from home a few more months. Quite frankly, as an employer, we can't bring the risk of too many people needing sick time when so many are going to don additional hats again. Of course we can work remotely if quarantined, or mildly symptomatic, so this move preserves the work force. I got to say, I'm ok with yet another delay. I still have one team member that needs to pack her office space though. 

     I made a sort of meal plan yesterday but in preparation for too many meals with ultra rich foods, snacks at every corner, and cookies galore, I'm going to focus on my portion control, time of day eating, and calorie count on regular days. Regular means those non- event or gathering days. I don't want one more pound in my body or any further shifting of weight to places that make clothes tight. With the cold weather, I need to force myself to get outside longer. Pup loves it and needs it. He struggle's with voiding issues if he doesn't get enough exercise. Inside, particularly if I'll be working more hours at my desk again, I need to add more stretching, more strength to my too little exercise routine. My daughter is building a good home gym worth of equipment. I may borrow some things from her, or to break up my separation from work day to evening, pop over to her house if she has no objections.

     I was disappointed, and annoyed with him that we couldn't connect online with my son this weekend. We had lined up Thursday- never really knew why it didn't work, I suspect he was at friends late, then we lined up for Saturday. He was gone Saturday, part helping a friend, part side job, and it didn't work. He didn't inform us though until well after we were supposed to talk, he still wasn't home, and by the time he would get home,  we'd all be ready to call it a night. We talked a bit by text during the Vikings game, boo. He's always been a spotty communicator. However once we all do talk, it's for a long time. However, he never thinks about the inconvenience of having plans and changing last minute.  OK, in case you thought I think my kids are perfect, this whine gives you the other perspective. 

     Later tonight we'll pay the last of November bills and set cash aside for Christmas. I have a few gifts to buy and need to pay my SIL for our portion of MIL's gift. November should close as expected, and other than groceries and special food items, December shouldn't be excessive. We prepaid hotel and all concert tickets. I'll do a retirement update to end the month. I hope your November ends in the black. 

It's Monday for pup too,
waking up with just us
after having one of his 
girls to snuggle up to.


22 comments:

  1. Covid numbers are going up here also. I'm sure we will continue to see spikes throughout January with people getting together for all of the holidays and so many still unvaccinated
    Hope you have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wider testing is to help get speedier confirmation, hoping to reduce kids coming while carrying the virus. I hope it helps.

      Delete
  2. I know it means more work for you but I feel better knowing that you’re in charge of the Covid testing, since you believe in science and have common sense unlike some other people. We sent home an employee yesterday who I believe should be Covid tested but we can’t force her to get one. She doesn’t think Covid is a big deal, and never wears her mask properly. Today is a recovery day for me, I slept in a little and need to clean up around the house some. We’ve all been in and out so much but it’s sorta back to reality now. Daughter still has today off of school (the Monday after thanksgiving used to be the beginning of rifle deer season and we always have it off, even though the season starts on Sunday now) and I took PTO to spend time with her. Not sure what we’ll do today! We got her the MacBook Air also and so did two of the high school girls I work with when I told them about it! It’s been interesting going on the college journey with them as well. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy! I'm not in charge of the whole process, but ordering and distribution, and technical assistance help. I do not want anymore on my plate, but for those programs and districts that stayed ahead, the had less closings/distance learning weeks compared to neighboring communities.

      Delete
  3. November was an expensive month, with lots of travel planning & booking. Who knows if any of that will happen at this point, with COVID making a comeback.

    I did great on the exercise, but was way more "generous" with my calories in November than I should have been, particularly in the last week or so, with a glass of wine in the evenings that I'd normally not have, a treat, etc. Need to get that back in check.

    Hope you are able to adjust your schedule to allow for some flex on the COVID testing side, while not burning yourself out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be chaos through January I suspect. November is a pricey month planning for the Christmas holiday.

      Delete
  4. I’m sorry you didn’t get to connect with your son this week. Hopefully you will get to talk with him soon. I hope the additional work turns out well for you. Who knew when all this started that we would still be changing things up this late in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's a bit flaky. He's used to only thinking about himself as he's a family if one.

      Delete
  5. Covid numbers have finally been going down in my area, not looking forward to it going back up :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough, and how sick someone gets is like luck. My sister is still not feeling well at all, but home and functional. Better than the hospital.

      Delete
  6. Portion control at Christmas time - no small feat!
    Good luck in this; I am going to try as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be able to at home for Pete's sake. Yesterday I paused to eat lunch and not graze.

      Delete
  7. Yes Mn is tough now. My 4 and 7 year old grandkids positive two weeks ago (pretty sure from school as they go no where else, live on a farm… but then their mom 42 also positive (was vaccinated) and still not feeling back to normal. Thank goodness the rest (4 more kids and dad) stayed healthy. They were more recently vaccinated and my son had a booster. ( first responder). I know I’m personally frustrated with lack and cost of testing, for rapid testing have to buy them, often are out of stock and most families are unable to afford the 13.50 per test. Certainly not anything to do with you but my rant is this country should have free rapid screens available for everyone. The nearest rapid screen site is one hour away from our town so Walgreens, Walmart tests are bought. They spent a couple hundred dollars the past two weeks and that shows how privileged they are which is not right! Rant ended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tests are pricey and time to get a them done is another barrier. I hope your DIL and kids feel better soon.

      Delete
  8. That's tough that you've got the added responsibility again. I get the impression you already work very hard so I hope you are able to pace yourself going into this tough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an awful December work wise. Yesterday was juggling and an added hour.

      Delete
  9. Just what you need my friend more to do! Ugh. Covis is stable here but I am sure it will climb this next two weeks, we really have low vax rates. SO aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In comparison to other's woes, I'll deal. This is virus is not slowing down.

      Delete
  10. I have had more work dumped on me as well - another VP seems to be incapable of doing his own expenses, sigh. My company isn't pushing people to come back to the office, and I'm quite happy about it. I don't need all the hassle.

    I ate a ton this weekend - I have to watch my portions too. Hang in there, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked pup for ages when I finally could leave my desk. It felt good. I'm sorry you've got more to deal with.

      Delete
  11. I don't think boys are the communicators that girls are, generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always been aloof, but good conversationist when we can reach him.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.