Sunday, January 2, 2022

Thrifty Healthy Easy Meal Plan

     

Eatingbirdfood.com has
 free printable meal plan.

     I'm trying a new format for 2022, or rather a tweak to my blogging. I have a pattern in my head that will evolve in January. Sundays will continue to be based on menu planning and maximizing our food stores for value, taste, and healthiness.  I'm back to work tomorrow, but having the bonus weekend day helped me shape up my kitchen. DD2 is only home through Wednesday so I want to spend time with her and treat her to meals she likes, plus load her up with a few meals for the rest of the week at school. She's going to just do the small meal plan at school through dining services that covers a meal a week day. Even with one fewer obligation this semester, she'll likely pick up more hours at her other two jobs and maybe get to do more of the fun things on campus, so 100% cooking from her apartment is not realistic, and I don't want her skipping meals. She'll have grocery money too. Since she's not back until late Wednesday afternoon and starts class bright and early Thursday, several ready meals will tide her over until the weekend. I'll send fruit and a couple mini loaves of pumpkin bread. She said she has oatmeal and unopened shelf stable plant based milk to round out her first few days back. 

      I thought after the indulgence of Christmas - New Year's, starting the new year with a thrifty menu, but full of taste would be a positive start. I shopped Friday, but didn't spend much. I'm still using up odds and ends from pantry fridge and freezer. I'd like January to be a low spend month as well, kicking off our just a bit tighter budget. Here's my planned options with flexibility.

  • Pasta fagiole soup with grilled brie( use it up) sandwich ( jar of soup to send back to school) I don't follow a recipe but this one is pretty close to how I make mine, though I make it completely plant based, and individuals add parmesan
  • Crockpot pasta primavera 
  • Pulled pork, but will refreeze most of the meat for a future easy meal, and au gratin potatoes
  • Bean, beef, and cheese enchilada casserole with rice on the side. This recipe was a success, and you could leave out either beef or beans to your preferences. I make an enchilada sauce with 8 ounce tomatoes sauce, lots of seasonings ( chili powder, cumin, onion powder), and then stretch with a butter flour roux, with cup of veggie broth made with Better than Bullion. You could just use water too. I think mine tastes better than the canned enchilada sauces
  • Mushroom stroganoff over egg noodles ( Hopefully a meal left to send back)
  • Chicken, broccoli, cheese and rice hotdish
  • Homemade chicken tenders with potatoe wedges
  • Cottage pie- mine is whatever meat and vegetables I have, in gravy, then covered in mashed potatoes, then baked.
  • Chickpea and veggie masala ( mostly to send back to school)

     I'm trying to build up the vegetable quantities with all of these meals. I vow portion control and getting my evening snacking under control is my personal mantra. Let's hope that resolve holds beyond week one. I did a weigh in and an arm measurement yesterday. While I need to lose more than 10%, I don't want a target that will feel defeating before even starting. Remember last year? My photo a month just depressed me.  I'll cut up veggies today for ready snacking. If it's prepared, I'll eat it rather than reaching for chips or crackers. 

     I'll do my best to link inspired recipes, or share how I make what I make. I'm excited to try new things, but also update and enhance old favorites. What's on your menu?

26 comments:

  1. I've tried to post a couple of times on my phone but it didn't work! Anyhow it's a new year. I really have no goals but to walk more and stay healthy. I'm avoiding all stores and outings as long as I can- I think in a month the Omicron surge will be over and things will have settled down. That means I'm eating from my freezer and pantry while others are buying great quantities of food LOL. I am doing my best to have food waste- don't you hate that? Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right and it runs its surge course as it seems to be in other countries. My daughter is going to have a test before heading back, but unlike other semester's no automatic online option.

      Delete
  2. The whole no smell/no taste thing is going to be a challenge for me. I did a grocery pickup with some produce and meat so I need to process that stuff today and should probably do a thorough clean out of the fridge. There’s leftover pork and sauerkraut for today, maybe tacos, tuna noodle casserole, chicken Alfredo, meatloaf, a lot of the basics this week. I definitely need to do a pantry clean out/use it up challenge. Missing work has put a tight knot in our budget for sure but thankfully wasn’t devastating as it could be for some. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your still dealing with it. I hope you can be back to normal sence soon.

      Delete
  3. I think I'll make meatloaf stuffed bell peppers tonight for dinner, and we had chicken curry yesterday. We'll round out with chicken shawarma & then do a bit of leftovers. Otherwise, I'm not sure & still need to think of our menu. I have tomorrow off, which gives me a bit of flex, and then I'm fully back in on Tuesday, with a 10 hour day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good. Two things I like combined. I left a big mess that needs fixing this week so I'm not looking forward to going back to work.

      Delete
  4. I actually ordered some individual meals today from instacart since I have some projects this week. But I really want to get back to slow cooking and freezing and soups are high on the list. I just can't ear a leftover meal more than once. I admire you less meat plans. I'm just such a darn carnivore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on leftovers more than once. I try to freeze but as I hate waste, I'll suck it up for lunches

      Delete
  5. The only thing I am sure of is that today we are having chicken fajitas and Tuesday we are having chili. Other than that I am not sure yet. I am going to work on our menu this afternoon as I need to figure out what we have in our freezer and plan from there. Kids go back to school tomorrow so it will be a crazy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make the soup tomorrow or Tuesday so the kid can take it back in Wednesday.

      Delete
  6. I'm waiting until mid week (when the sale flyers arrive) to buy groceries so we're eating from the fridge and freezer. Yesterday I made a small pot of black bean soup and a pan of taco meat. My son won't eat the soup but likes the taco meat. I added some of it to my bowl of bean soup, along with sour cream and cheese. Oh, it was so good! My son made himself a taco salad.
    Tonight I'll probably make fish and fries. Not the healthiest meal but it will use up some items from the freezer.
    My son went to the store last evening, and when he asked if I wanted anything, I said no. Normally I'd ask for a package of potato chips but it's my goal to give them up or at least only have the infrequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted potato chips but my will power had me push the cart quickly past them in Friday. I have no will power so better to not have in the house.

      Delete
  7. The honey mustard parsnip & potato bake I made yesterday is so big I think we'll be eating it all week. Jon's doing a supermarket run tomorrow, almost everyone we know has tested postive for Covid in the last few days, we're making sure we've got all we need in just in case! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your friends stay asymptomatic or mild. I have a knee appointment so really need it to be a go.

      Delete
  8. That menu plan looks good, thnx for the link. We're going to try just having meat on the weekends this year to try & up our veggie & bean intake and more salads & soups at lunchtime instead of sandwiches as we all need to lose weight. I've not been a menu planner in the past so thats something I want to get better at this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to eat leftovers for lunch but probably too many calories. It's tough but I need to be serious.

      Delete
  9. January starts a no spend month, which I hope continues into February. Meals will reflect limited visits to the supermarket. This week, weather has prevented us from getting out much anyway. Yesterday we had our traditional ham dinner. Today's snacks/lunch are ham and cheese crescents. Dinner is anybody's guess. I have some pierogis lurking in the freezer, so I may make ham and pierogis. Honestly, I haven't really thought the month out other than alerting the family to the no spend. Also, school should resume tomorrow, but road conditions may prevent that. This area is *really* not prepared for snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham and cheese croissants sound delicious. I need a few forgotten items.

      Delete
  10. Bailey is cooking tonight, which makes me a happy mom. She is making Big Mac pizza. She does need my help cutting up lettuce and onions, but it’s worth it to me for someone else to cook. Your menu sounds good. I like your idea of bulking up your meals with vegetables. Back when I was growing up our neighbor did that. She put veggies in every. Her chili would have grated carrots in there. It was a pretty neat way to get vegetables in her and her kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one's offered to cook. We did not get take out pizza so proud of myself for that resolve.

      Delete
  11. While it's definitely improving, I agree with JoAnn, not being able to smell or taste food has definitely cut back on my appetite. Not that I'm complaining but six weeks since covid does seem to be a long time now for this to still be dragging on. Oh well, I'll just have to consider the plus side of actually losing weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll I hope that's your last of the symptoms and things improve. I've heard of long haulers, mild or severe symptoms. It's the oddest virus.

      Delete
  12. Those plans are all commendable. I wish I could swallow raw carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it that you can't chew enough to get them soft?

      Delete
  13. Adding vegetables is quite a good idea; good for you!
    We return to our meal kits, which I am steering towards vegetarian and nixnay on the pasta dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost think meat and carbs need to be small sides, not the focus of my meals.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.