Friday, July 29, 2022

Friday Free for All - Life Admin

      Hey good people, it's Friday and that means I'm just about ready to close another work week later today. TGIF for sure! It's also my Friday Free for All where nothing's on or off topic or limits. 

Need Life Admin 

     I love my college kid, but she leaves an earthquake behind her. I'm ready to get more of her stuff gone, but between her work, social, gaming, and sleep life, I haven't pinned her down to go through boxes. It must happen though. I need the space back in my office. Actually, I want my office painted and new floor coverings down. Her boxes are taking space. 

     I can't blame it all on her as I still have things untouched in boxes myself from purging to make the office. Then there's my desk clutter. I know, five minutes of tidying would solve  this. Last week I complained about lack of energy due to a excessive heat. This week, it's been so nice, I just want to be outside. 

      Times a ticking though and then I'll be sad she's so far away. We've got a bit more paperwork and of course tuition to pay in August. It's going to have to be a life admin month. She actually didn't go tow work this morning. She got home from her other job with a horrible headache, the kind that make you stomach sick as well. Poor kids internal clock woke her at 3:30. Between that and stomach issues, not a good night.  

Paperwork Conundrums

     DH is a paper hoarder. Worse, he keeps envelopes things come in as he thinks it's easier to find. Bullocks I say. He needs to purge and then create a better filing system. Labeled file folders go a long way.  Also, it's 2022, things are able to be found on line. And most anything can be scanned, saved electronically and backed up. That should leave just a few things we physically need in paper. It's another motivator to get the kids stuff out of my office. It's taking valuable filing room. 

   


 However, I think we'll keep the twin bed in her room raised as that makes 8 inches of additional storage. I might order a set for the day bed in the office. I'll wait though. She has one more semester living in a small apartment so if she decided she'd like to raise her bed, we'll get them for her, and I'll commandeer them after graduation and move out. Joann, Im not sure if your daughter will loft or bunk her dorm room bed, but if not, these are a must have to make valuable storage space.

Back to School 

     The ads are starting now. Many schools start in early August so not surprised. While for true school supplies my daughter will likely just bring along a five subject notebook, and a few basic items like pens, post its or note cards, they're still needed. This is my last official back to school for my kids, even if study abroad. She does have her one remote class that will start August 26th. DS started kindergarten in 1994 making this my 29th back to school launch, 30 if I count his year of preschool. It's yet one more "final" of parenting. I guess it's bitter sweet as I'm happy for and proud of all three of my kids, while remembering their little years. 

     July wraps up Sunday, but it felt a bit long. August is sure to feel like it goes too fast. I've got some vacation time scheduled for all the above things and just maybe a little play. Please add your own Friday thoughts in the comments or build off mine.





16 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a bittersweet milestone, with the last "back to school". Mine go back the third week of August, so it's right around the corner. I keep telling myself that this is the last summer where i'll be "Mom's Taxi". I've done an endless amount of driving this summer. Next summer, we should have two additional drivers! What a giant milestone that will be.

    Both of the boys are pretty messy, but Nick is significantly worse than Sam. He's also just a collector of things, and has so much, that it makes the messiness worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like I've watched your boys grow up! Now that's a milestone.

      Delete
  2. Movers come Wednesday! Would-Be-College-Boy really stepped up to help. That is to say, when he DID help, he was great, but there was some grumbling beforehand. But with him, once he gets started, the grumbling stops. He's not diligent until he decides to be diligent. It's nice to see. Our custom-made outdoor railings still aren't in yet. They are at the power coater, still. DH really needs them to safely get in and out with the 1 step, as his mobility has days where it's almost as good as before, and others where it isn't. Although, Would-Be-College-Boy and youngest are very strong. As long as they are there to help him, I don't worry. He won't fall with either one at his side. DH, however, doesn't take his safety as seriously as we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he rises to the need when it matters that's great of your son. Good luck with your final steps, literally and figuratively, of the move.

      Delete
  3. I used to hate the back-to-school ads when I was in England. Heck school only broke up towards the end of July and school hols only lasted 6 weeks anyway. Didn't seem fair to me to be plugging that stuff already. And yep, I guess we all know that when kids move out they leave such a lot of stuff behind too! Heck I had a snowboard in my living room for about six months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditional school year still has 12 weeks off in summer, but many private or charters start earlier than September.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe it's almost August. This year has just flown by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started my back-to-school post yesterday. It's a lot to think about.

    I am with your husband on envelopes helping to find things. However, I don't have my file cabinet and it seems the whole paper thing is going to drown me! But, I am strongly on the side of filing, not dumping like I must do right now. Still, it helps to keep the envelope for proof of date. I suppose the envelope could be scanned also.

    My messy child turned out to be super-organized on her own. That turned out to be a great relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But documents are all dated, and once the business is complete, I don't see a need for knowing the postmark. It seems like just more paper clutter.

      Delete
  6. I was never so happy as the day I filled out the last FAFSA. I hated that thing and I filled it out for 17 straight years. It is so nice when they are finally done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I'll need to if she does grad school. The FAFSA is much easier/ quicker now as all saves and you can link to tax return.

      Delete
  7. Happy Friday!!! I am the same. Too tired when it is hot (even to do inside work) and love it when it is cooler but then I want to be outside. That makes it hard to do the inside work too!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inside list is so long for today. I can't use too hot as excuse. I'll slip outside though too!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for thinking of us! Her dorm bed is adjustable, and you can raise it to 32 inches. They say no tools are required to do so but I’m taking a rubber mallet just in case it needs a little more persuasion. The FAFSA is changing this year, not sure for better or worse. It’s going to be so weird not sending a kid to public school for the first time in 15 years. To be honest, I’m just glad we made it out alive :( hope your dd feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last years of school was sureal though. Your daughter had all the pandemic oddity. She's felling better, but made the right call not working. She surely needed sleep and not to be near food.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.