Wednesday, August 17, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry- More Easy Helper and Oldie

      I flipped the meals around a bit to make sure people are fed and life chaos is managed. I splurged on take out for lunch for the girls yesterday. I have a chuck it attitude to the August budget, but within reason. DD1 was back and forth to her storage, house, here and back. This meant she and I didn't need a standard dinner and she planned on pizza last night for furniture helpers.

   


 I made a ground turkey meatloaf and just a boxed Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice and canned green beans for DH and the younger. It was an easy way to make dinner with leftovers. Here's my Turkey meat loaf guide. Nothing is absolute but about what I use. Diced onion would be a nice addition as would grated carrot or fresh garlic. 

  • 1 pound ground turkey 
  • 1 egg 
  • 3/4 cup oatmeal 
  • 2/2 cup milk 
  • 1 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. ( Add more to taste if preferred)

     Mix all together and press in small baking pan. I don't make as a loaf, so it bakes easily in 40 minutes in a 350° oven. I probably shouldn't call it meat loaf. The last  10,  I cover with a ketchup and mustard mix, about a tsp+ of both. With the egg and milk, it's not dry and DH loves as a sandwich the next day. Enjoy! 


     




12 comments:

  1. I love turkey but for some reason I don't care for ground turkey. I see so many good recipes like yours for it I wish I did like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I readily admit ground turkey needs a lot of seasoning for me to enjoy. That's why meatloaf works.

      Delete
  2. I love Turkey meatloaf. I usually do half turkey and half ground pork, but still good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to make me a meatloaf, any type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not like meat loaf. If I have a choice, I wouldn't make it but my husband loves it so I do make it with ground turkey. I dice an onion and fry it with a little olive oil, then add a squeeze of tomato paste, and a T. of Worchestershire Sauce or so, to taste. I let that cool down then add to my ground turkey and bread crumbs in a large bowl. I add an egg and some cumin which gives the ground turkey a meatier flavor and a little Italian seasoning. I mix it just so it comes together and transfer it to a foil lined cookie sheet. I shape it somewhat into a loaf. (I spray the cookie sheet with a bit of olive oil.) I make my topping with a mixture of ketchup and BBQ sauce and spread on top. It takes about 40 minutes in the oven. I have done the same using ground beef and I do like this meat loaf. I do not eat it cold or on a sandwich but I at least will eat this hot out of the oven. Most of this comes from the recipe that the Barefoot Contessa makes, but not exactly. Making beef stir fry with broccoli, peppers and onion tonight. Served on jasmine rice. Hamburgers last night with corn on the cob and watermelon. Will have to put turkey loaf on the menu in coming weeks. Sounds good with some mashed potatoes and green beans. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it’s so funny how everyone’s meat loaf recipe is different. I make mine like my mom always did. Ground beef, egg, splash of water, bread crumbs and, wait for it-a can of condensed vegetable soup. Remember that Campbells cook book I mentioned? Lol. It gets a beautiful crust to it but is so moist on the inside. Served with gravy and mashed potatoes. Straight up comfort food. My father in law makes his with diced onion and rice and it looks like dog food. I would starve before I ate it :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not canned soup! Lol. I'm sure it's really delicious.

      Delete
  6. That is a delicious rice, but I just use from my 7 lb bag of Uncle Ben's parboiled rice. Now, I want to buy some like you used.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.