Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Positively Tuesday- Land of Ice

      We've had a bit of January thaw, but we had so much ice it's not getting the layers up. Walking is still a risky endeavour. With yesterday off, I worked to chip up pieces so the warmth could maybe do it's thing better. I at least got the sidewalk ice removed, plus some of the icy pile up where DD2'S car was parked. That was a work out. Family, work, and weather was the summary of my week. Even with work stress and frustration, joys, smiles, and simple pleasures outnumbered my grimaces. 

  • Tuesday: I made DD2's favorite soup and cupcakes for an early birthday while they all went to the Avatar movie. It was a nice last relaxing night with everyone. 
  • Wednesday: Ice condition's gave me extra hours with all my kids, made an early lunch for DS and DD2 of curry, packing a few meals for her to take back to school. With DS not leaving until nearly 4, I made him a couple wraps as an early dinner. Making food for people makes me happy when it's not an obligation and is appreciated. All eventually got to their destinations safely. 
  • Thursday: DH was off but he was in and out throughout the day. I got a nice message out of the blue from a friend I hadn't heard from in a while. We're making plans to meet up. 
  • Friday: Work was very frustrating, but I managed to shake off my initial disbelief at what was coming soon, and went into problem solving mode. It's not solved, but at least I'm resigned to fixing so not ready to give immediate notice. I played with the dogs and that helped my mood. I made homemade pizza and we watched SWAT and Fire Country. 
  • Saturday: I had a productive morning, though the productivity fizzled out. I read a few pages of a few books, but then decided to bake. I made pumpkin bread and garlic and herb. I had a texting conversation with my daughter wishing her happy birthday, though we celebrated earlier in the week. Later DH and I went out for supper. I may have had a margarita. 
  • Sunday: So disappointed with the Vikings play and their playoff loss. They just didn't make the plays when needed, but I'm not gonna be a fair weather fan. Next year! The ice cleats came and helped a lot. I put the mediums on an old pair of tennis shoes so they can just be ice walking shoes for the path. I have to step outside to put them on and take off so I don't scratch the entry tile, but I'm happy with them so far. I took pup for two walks in the nice warmish weather. 
  • Monday:  With sort of the day off ( I had a few calls from Friday's mess, plus did some triage of messages), I started my day with longer than just my 10 minute yoga, 10 minute meditation. My back and mind needed both. DD1 came over for supper, bringing her dog to hang out here again a few days  due to her work schedule. He's getting easier and more  dog like, so less interruptions, other than his cuteness. 
     January is a doldrums month for me so I need to dig hard to find the joys. But I and my loved ones have woken up each day in relatively good health, have food, shelter, and each other. That's always worth looking on the bright side about. 



18 comments:

  1. Snow and ice removal is hard work. Your sidewalk looks great. I enjoy cooking for my family too as they appreciate it very much. I’m glad all you children arrived safely at their destinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive way is so rutted though. I barely made a dent.

      Delete
  2. Oh I can commiserate with you on the Vikings loss. I watched a bit of the game, thinking of you. My team lost miserably (but it was expected) Lots of love to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had four really awful losses, so there was premonition that playoffs wouldn't go our way. We always hope though.

      Delete
  3. We've only had to shovel once this season (and it was gone within days) - jealous of all of your snow! My husband has a dreadful cold (not Covid) which I think is a sinus infection but he wants to "ride it out". Why are men so reluctant to go to the doctor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the pretty factor is long gone. It's just cold, and icy now. I'm sorry he's not well, and my DH is ridiculously stubborn.

      Delete
  4. Chin up, Sam, at least we're halfway through this grim month! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are past the halfway point, so that's great. We've got a few fun things ahead so January will pass.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I would care for the winters that you have. We get cold and snow but it doesn't last long and the 40-50 degree highs are back. I hope you have great Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we wouldn't do great in the southern heat, but farther south Midwest might be a plan. We had so much snow this year that a 40° day isn't making a dent.

      Delete
  6. I am grateful that we don't have the snowy, cold weather that you do! Sorry about the Vikings - our household was sad about the Dolphins' loss (of course, my Panthers didn't make the play-offs), as we were REALLY hoping, but without Tua we didn't have much chance.

    Good for you for doing your yoga and meditation - those Mondays can be nothing but triage! Hang in there, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope Tua has no lifelong effects of his injury. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have let my son play. But what a hypocrite I am in enjoying the game.

      Delete
    2. My dad was a coach while I was in school, but has said now he happy he is that none of his grandsons played football. There is certainly risk in soccer, but much less so than football.

      Delete
    3. I'm not much of a January fan either. But, it never seems to disappear from the calendar. ;-)

      We've had an okay few weeks. I'm waiting for some work guidance, so I know if I need to plan any trips, and we're trying to align on a weekend for a college tour, so that's top of mind for me right now.

      We are both Seahawks & 49ers fans, so it was a little painful to watch them play each other this weekend!

      Delete
  7. Hello Sam, Thanks for reminding me why I am in Taiwan. Not exactly an island paradise, but at least no snow and ice! Please be careful and stay safe during the bad weather. I have been gone from the internet for a while, but now am looking forward to your posts again!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Jim! I'll pop over. Hey, my daughter is exploring work around in Taiwan, at least for a year or so. She's looking elsewhere too. Happy to have any leads to forward here- samandcoffee65@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. As you know, we've had really heavy snow for two days so I got the same workout as you did (you should see my biceps)! For the next few days it's forecast glorious and as I drove over to take care of the grandson today, the sunshine made the most stunning view! Makes it all worth it. Then I drove home for 6 pm, got out the car and went flat on my backside. Nothing damaged though (except my pride)!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.