Sunday, April 16, 2023

Taking Care

      I promised my kids I'll take better care of myself. I've really been trying to get my five a day in, even if that's all I eat some days. Other days I actually feel like cooking, per a post a few weeks back. My daughter goes to school in northern Minnesota and they had a blizzard leading into her Easter break. She smartly got on the road and was able to do her Tuesday and Wednesday classes remotely. I had someone to cook for and eat with me for a full week. Joy! 

     I'm trying to take care mentally too. I had some therapy a long while back for other issues I was trying to work through. Nothing heavy, a little EAP, work life balance type stuff.  I thought maybe it would be good to help learn some coping strategies so this month started a few sessions with a therapist trained in grief support. I've had a couple sessions, nothing mind bending but it was good to talk unfiltered. I find I worry about putting people off so I'm very guarded about my own emotions. 

     For example, my mother-in-law starts every conversation with "I hope you're doing well", which means I say, "I'm ok" because that's what she wants to hear. She's not who I'm going to share with. His whole family have moved to a different stage than I am at, so I'm quite closed with all of them. They're thinking cabin, lake, Easter, Mother's Day, fun stuff. I get it. We all grieve differently and quite frankly, I've always found them emotionally closed, outwardly huggy, but in a rote way. DH was quite different from the rest of his family in that way. When he hugged you it was with purpose. When he said he appreciated something, you know he meant it. But, I don't know how heavy their hearts might be in private; how they are sleeping. 

      My friends and sisters are great, just give me little arm squeezes, letting me know I can talk or not, but they're here for me. I'm actually tagging along with my sister's business retreat in June. I'll have some time alone, but will get to enjoy the lavish perks thrown at them for two days. I'm actually looking forward to it. 

     I've scheduled both routine and follow up medical appointments, though been rescheduled twice. I even scheduled a mental health day for myself prior to a big work week to help bolster my resiliency. I'm walking the dogs, doing little bits of yoga, and trying to not melt into a sobby blob. The nicer weather hopefully will keep me from television bingeing. I appreciate you all (sincerely stated) and hope in time blogging will be fun again, not just an export of my emotional baggage. For all of you grieving, people, job loss, strained relationships, distance, I get it. It's tough some days and then there are little moments of light. I'm trying to take care so I can know them when they come. 

     Siobhan and I have been emailing each other. My heart is heavy for her and I hope our words back and forth across the ocean are a help. Too many widows in our small blog community, and the love shared between us, and you all that are adding your words of peace are comfort; I read even if I don't have a response. I've really appreciated that no one has thrown empty platitudes on my posts. What I've learned is if you don't know what to say to someone grieving, just say, "I'm thinking of you; I care about you." It truly does help. No one can fix the pain, but knowing you're cared about is comfort.

     I'm nearly to the three months mark. The house is a disaster inside and out. I think my washing machine has given up the the ghost. Ugh, I don't want to shop for a new one as that means bleeding more money (death is expensive and I'm on a single income now), nor do I want people coming in. I'll make do with the work around I've had to do in the laundry room until I can face the inevitable. We had unbelievably warm days, three in a row, but as you see, Friday was the last day of this, and the weekend has been cold and wet. I should be doing spring cleaning. No, I'm trying to ignore the word should, but there's things that must be done. I'm doing those. I guess, I'm just trying to take care.


23 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you are doing all things to keep yourself mentally and physically well. I knew a woman whose husband died, and she gained about 50 pounds in three months and steadily gained for a year. But, it was not my place to give advice. I am glad you calculate what needs to be done.
    Your daughter must have been great company. And, I am sure she was happy to have food cooked for her. Mothers seem to like to cook for children.
    I am glad you are making plans. Your husband's family did not have the same relationship with your husband that you did. And, they are not sitting in the house you shared with him. And, your sisters understand you.
    The washing machine is broken? Or, is there something else going on in the laundry room? Maybe I am dense, but I have not been asleep all night long, so I got up at 8 am since I have to be up at 9 am.
    I think about your every day and more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm wishes from the Blue Ridge Mountains!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear you're spending time on taking care of yourself. I'm sure it isn't easy but that is more important now than ever. Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well said
    I have taken enormous solace from our email dialog
    And it’s ok to not be ok
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do whatever you need to make your life easier. Praying for you!

      Delete
  5. I still haul my clothes once a week to the laundromat because after all the drama with my new fridge I just cannot deal with yet another appliance being an expensive dud. It is ok to make do until you are ready to replace. I don’t blame you for being a little distant from his family at the moment. Your whole life and plans have been upended, as have the other three ladies who lost their husbands. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do you and let them do them. No one - can know what you are feeling. Not even those of us that have been there - we can suspect - but every situation is different. You do whatever it takes and as long as it takes. There are no rules for this kind of grief.
    Be kind to yourself and know that people care and are praying for you. Wishing a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it about washing machines and their uncanny ability to give us trouble at troubling times? I remember some years ago, in the depths of grief, storming out to the laundromat because my machine decided to quit, and I just couldn't take another. thing. to. out. of. my. control. THAT LAUNDRY WAS GETTING DONE AND I WAS GOING TO DO IT ON MY TERMS. I had DH's phone, and for some reason, I called my former brother-in-law (my sister's widower) on the phone, to talk to his wife. (Whom I love like a sister.) When I said "Fine" in response to his "how are you," he said, "Fine? C'mon, remember the guy you're talking to here." I wasn't fine, he knew it. (And, soon, everybody in the laundromat knew it too.) But, you're right, we can't know how people sleep at night--some people need to set aside their grief to remain sane, and that looks like moving on. And, sometimes, it's just easier to say what we think people want to hear, isn't it? Sending love, Sam, lots of love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care Sam, I can’t write too much as fat fingers on an iPhone with poor internet is problematic at the moment but I’m thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was from Treaders (just got back from a few days away and only now just saw that)!

      Delete
  9. I love your characterization of DH: when he hugged he meant it, when he said he appreciated something, he did. Sterling qualities. Continuing to hold you in my thoughts: may you continue to have those little moments of light in your days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you. You be however you need to be. 8-) Caring from Louisiana....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sam
    I think of you often there is no set way to deal with what you are going through. Be kind to youself.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the concern of all isn't getting on your nerves. Sometimes a widow/er is seen by all as suddenly helpless without their mate. I know you are not so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still thinking of you Sam and holding you and your children in tender thoughts.
    Kaye in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers Sam. You might look as used washers due to costs. A family member bought hers from Menards or Lowes (memory foggy on which one). I struggled to eat after Garry died. Dropped down to 75 lbs. SO yes at least 5 a day but make sure you get protein and carbs to have strength. Prayers and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (((((Sam))))) it’s good to read an update from you. Continuing you always in good thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Belinda btw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and Siobhan are never far from my thoughts, Sam. I loved your description of DH hugging with purpose, whenever you wrote of him you described a kind and loving man. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sam. Glad to see your post and that you are making it through. I was nodding in agreement with your comment about death being expensive. I have been moving money out of savings for three months. Hope this month that stops. I am selling my house soon I hope and last week found out that my county requires a septic inspection that costs $1,100. All the little surprises ;). Anyway, all the best wishes headed your way. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep you in my thoughts. Taking mental health days can be very helpful. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mental health days in any situation is a must. I'm currently on vacation, and it's been good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sam, I think about you and your kids every day. I loved your description of your DH's hugs and words. Being kind to yourself is necessary for sure. Addressing our Mental Health needs is just as important as addressing any other health issues. So glad that (much of) the world is finally starting to recognize that important fact. Continue to take care!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.