Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Girl's Dinner-Flying Solo

First a shout out to Rivulet, who really know how to get Wednesday off to a good start with her post Four Big Happy Smiles.  Hers is one of the first blogs I read each day as I know I will always feel a bit brighter after the read.

Another thing that makes me happy is what me and my DD's call Girl's Dinner.  This is basically open the refrigerator, cupboards, freezer, and for myself and DD#1 on occasion, the liquor cupboard, and concoct whatever looks and sounds good at the moment. This is a regular occurrence on Monday and Tuesday's when DH works late, combined with no one needing to run out the door and we're settled on the home front for the night.  It is a grazing event, but when either D is around, I try to reign in the grazing to inlcude the four food groups, with an extra serving of fruit or vegetable. An unexpected late night for DH and Wednesday church youth activities for DD#2 means I am solo tonight for dinner. There will be no wine as I have to pick up the girl at 7:30, alas, but a cocktail is only an occasional indulgence, not a regular part of the ritual.

My menu consisted of a handful of Wheat Thins with olive tapenade and hummus, a slice of colby-monteray jack cheese, a hot dog-without bun, a Diet Coke, and I'm thinking of slicing up an apple. I saw we had a box of Velveeta shells and cheese, my favorite junk food meal of all time, but that deserves the full attention of girl's night.  I know it has quite the ingredient list of preservatives, artificial colorings, and empty calories, but gosh darn is it tasty.  In my defense, DH bought four boxes well over two months ago, and the box is still left from that purchase, so no extreme bingeing has occurred.

I do feel the salt levels sort of swelling in my body right now between the olives, crackers, and hot dog. Extra drinking water will be the course if I want to feel comfortable in my shoes tomorrow. I'll need comfortable walking shoes as we are to hit 70 glorious degrees and lot's of sunshine. We are encouraged to take walking meetings at work. I do like this new job, and while not practical for many meetings due to the need to have a computer, I have a thirty minute status check-in on a project that my colleague and I are going to do while walking. Speaking of walking, pup is pacing by the back door. He had his short  bathroom walk, but is looking for another. I have just enough time to fit one in before the car pool timer goes off.  Enjoy what is left of your evening.


A girl's dinner staple.




6 comments:

  1. Thank-you for the wonderful compliment and shout out! Much appreciated friend.

    This post makes me giggle, Abner and I have "dinner without daddy nights" too. My husband doesn't like pasta so we, wait for it, love to make mac n cheese when daddy is away at dinner time. We also make other simple meals that the two of us enjoy when he's gone but mac n cheese is our main one. I wasn't raised on velveeta shells and cheese so I haven't really ever eaten them, maybe a few times at sleepovers when I was a kid but I do love mac n cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall there even being Velveeta shells and cheese when I was a kid but I do remember making mac n cheese with Velveeta bricks. Your hubby would go hungry at my house as we eat probably way too much pasta-no less than twice a week I bet.

      Delete
    2. The shells and cheese came out two years before I was born :)
      I ate WAY too much pasta too when I was cooking for myself before marriage. I LOVE pasta. He complains even when I make spaghetti (who doesn't' like spaghetti?), which I do make even when he's home occasionally as it's little Abe's favorite meal.

      Delete
    3. That is DD#2's favorite as well. It is really helpful now that she can help with the cooking. she made us pasta on Monday, not spaghetti but rotini noodles, sauce, and meatballs. The sauce was jar and meatballs frozen, but she had the bulk done before I walked in the door.

      Delete
  2. Walking meetings... what a fantastic idea! It sounds like you are really settled in your new job. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am. There is something about being a little fish in a very big pond, but knowing you are with a bunch of other fish that see you as the expert in your subject area and they're seen the same way. It is a very collaborative setting. It is nice not being second guessed on things by "colleagues" who have no background in or study of, but they heard a sound bite somewhere (out of context) and now think they know better.Sorry-I digressed from my happy place to darker times.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.