Saturday, April 25, 2015

Not Much Simpler than a Potato

My simplicity aspirations are in high gear this week. When it comes to simple, wholesome, tasty food, anything potato related comes to my mind. The fact that they are frugal and if you are careful with all the extra's, a satisfying accompaniment or the feature of a decent meal. While typing this, I have about three pounds baking in the microwave. I'm not sure what all these will be used for, but having a few cold potatoes already cooked, helps me make improvised meals on the fly. One of our favorite is to saute onions in a bit of butter until soft. I then add sliced, cold, cooked potatoes and cook until they are crispy and golden.  A dash of garlic, Italian season, pinch of salt and pepper and I am a happy person. Of course potatoes are calorie dense, but serve with a heaping helping of vegetables, and a lean protein such as chicken, and the overall calories are mitigated. I like to use real butter-not spreads, and think a little richness goes much farther than a fake substitute. Other things I've used the cooked potatoes for include a sort of crust for a quiche, rather more like an egg bake, or sliced thin with some cheese and put inside an omelette. I like to wrap them with some deli  meat and a bit of cheeses into a tortilla and make sort of a burrito. With grilling season here, it is nice to even just keep them already cooked, but heat them through  on the grill, while the meat is cooking.

DH is the main grocery shopper, and there never was a two for one he could resist. Potatoes are often part of that deal. We are supposed to have another day of cold, rainy weather today, and one again on Tuesday. A big batch of potato cheese or vegetable soup might be called for before I give a rest to my soup creations for the season. I then should turn my hand to making potato salad. If you have a good creamy potato salad recipe, I'd love to have it. So many I've had are very dry and bland, but I love the deli potato salad at the local grocery store deli counter. I haven't found the recipe they use yet, but I am looking.

We have some serious belt tightening to do around the house and in the family.  I mentioned our $4,800 ding-well, actually it is a shared ding with DS, but as he is barely covering his own bills, the burden for the short term will fall on us. DD#2 has decided her violin is her new passion, even more so learning that the honors strings students in the high school have the opportunity to go to Spain during spring break next year. We also have a trip to Washington DC planned in the fall, and an Alaska-Canada-Seattle land and sea cruise planned for summer 2016. We will all do our part and throw extra money saved, earned, or gifted, towards all these expenses.  I was determined, and still am, to not let taking a new job with less cash flow, change our priorities for travel, social, and family support. The grocery budget seems to be a place so many people have tackled to reduce debt or put funds towards something more fulfilling than take out  and convenience food. I will be planning and looking for ways to stretch that budget, and looking at new ways to serve potatoes seems a pain free way to help the cause. Repeat the mantra with me; "potatoes are my friend."



4 comments:

  1. Tell me more about using baked potatoes as a quiche crust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy. Just mash one-two, depending on how big your pie plate or how thick you want the crust. Combine the potato with a little of your egg mixture and a bit more milk, and add salt, pepper or anything to taste. Press the "dough" into a greased or sprayed pie plate, bottom and side, bake for 10 minutes or so until light golden and firm. Put your egg and veg etc. mix onto the crust and bake until set-usually 30-40 minutes. I do the same with leftover rice or mashed potatoes sometimes. Idea was originally for leftover rice from the Tightwad Gazette books, but I figured anything starchy should work, and it does.

      Delete
  2. Now you could aim for Bubble and Squeak! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name makes me smile every time I hear it. I could give it a go, if we had the leftover vegetables. Lately we seem to polish them off with meals-I guess that is a good thing.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.