Friday, May 22, 2015

$3.00 Office Space


I'm going to work out of the office this morning.  It will be quiet in the office anyway, leading up to a three day weekend. I have a mid-afternoon meeting, but this will allow me to miss about 15 minutes worth of traffic by not driving peek rush hour. In the next few months, I will be adding more and more telecommuting days, so I decided today to plant my self in a local Dunn Brothers and test out a coffee shop as my remote office. While mostly I intend to just work from my own home, sometimes I need a little extra noise and stimulation, besides a better cup of coffee than I can make at home, to get my mind really producing.

Veteran remote office worker friends have their schedule almost to a science.  My friend A, who worked for years as the Executive Director of a start-up non-profit, spent at least 50% of her job on the road, and was always in a green light go mental state. She would have crashed if she tried to work from home more than a day a week. She coordinated her coffee shop offices with other meetings and appointments she needed to fit in, but essentially had three main hubs, one in St Paul, another in a  Minneapolis neighborhood near her home, and one near downtown. She would purchase her muffin or scone and a large cup of dark roast, and be set for the morning. A family member, L, who works in publishing, remote offices in coffee shops in or near book stores, preferably independent versions of both, for her office. 

I won't be of the ilk that A or L are, but I am trying to see if this works. Not to miss an opportunity to research, that is, be nosy about my people watching, I decided to scan the shop. Most people are coming in and out very quickly, beverage in hand, and I can see a  drive through four deep with cars. Inside, there is a trio of women discussing life and 31 Bags, and passing around samples of what I think looks like Tastefully Simple catalogs or flyer's. I know the bags, in fact am carrying one now, and I know that is what they are discussing because each woman has a couple with them, and one commented to me while I was getting my cream, "Did you know 31 has a bag with almost the same pattern as your shirt?" I get it.  This is a home shopping, small business owners, networking brain trust. There were two other men with laptops typing away, when I came in, but both have since left.  I see a couple students and a few tables with people just talking.There are still ample empty tables and the fireplace area is free, so at present I don't think I would be overstaying my welcome working here an hour or two. It is still too early for the mommy crowd that I have noticed on other days, and at other coffee shops, that seem to congregate mid-morning.

My large coffee was $2.56, quite pricey when I can brew a moderately, but not nearly as strong, good brew at home.  I left the change in the cup, making it $3.00. I have awesomely fast Internet speed.  I like that.  It is pretty good at home, but I find spotty patches and glitches still occur even after the upgrade.  I'm in a relatively sunny spot by a window and can gaze out and see green, but mostly I am seeing cars driving through town. I managed to snag a comfy deep seat chair, so using my lap as a desk.  I work better this way than I do in the office, though ergonomically, I am probably doing everything wrong for my future posture. At home I have my beloved chaise, and can look out at my own front yard.

My verdict? While this might be a nice change of pace, It will be a rare occurrence in my telecommuting cycle.  I think I would rather work early from home, and if I want a  different scenery, schedule a late breakfast or lunch with someone. Today, since I am in the office later anyway I dressed for work.  Normally if I telecommute, I'll be able to work in the comfort of whatever I feel like putting on, or even stay in my pajamas if I want, though that is not likely. I don't want to perpetuate a telecommuting stereotype. If I would work remotely, but out of my own house, I would feel like I still need to dress as if going to work, though it is a work casual environment. Who else out there combines home offices with coffee offices?  What are your reasons for doing both, or are you a predominantly coffee commuter?  

 Anniversary Giveaway

Only 8 more days until I tick the box on my to do list that says, Start and Maintain a Blog. I wasn't going to consider it a done deal until I made it one year.  Remember to add a comment if you want to a chance for a Minnesota package giveaway. By the way, Dunn Brothers is a Minnesota based company, and may be featured in the basket, though I am not receiving any gift, benefit, or sponsorship from the company. I mention for trivia value, and enticement to enter! Did I mention, you can comment on any post between now and before 9:00 a.m. Minnesota time to enter?  Now I have. 

2 comments:

  1. Working from home is not easy - I did it for most of my working life. People didn't seem to realise that working from home meant that I was actually working and not available for social chit-chat. Like you I found places where I could set up camp and work for a few hours. And you are right about still getting dressed for wok even if you are working from home. It helps in getting your brain in gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my experience will be two days per week at most, it shouldn't create too many false expectations. It's the flexibility that is welcome. But of course if this blog takes off...one never knows.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.