Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Dreaded Forwarded E-mail


I have a relative, that I will remove any further identifying traits as this is a sticky and tough situation, who is at the heart of this post. Historically, she had a thing for forwarding lots of
e-mails to her contacts in large groups from non original sources. You know the ones I mean. These were e-mails she received from a friend or a friend of a friend, or a distant relative containing messages, stories, and inspirational guidance that everyone needed to share because it was so very, very important.  She rarely looked at the date (sometimes the original e-mails were several year's old) or the source. She once forwarded a satirical article from The Onion, on an $80 billion abortion factory clinic being funded by the federal government, and added a line that she was weeping when she read it.

I had to ask her to not forward any to me at my work e-mail, and to help me with clutter on the home front, take me of the group lists as well to my personal account.  I asked this pleasantly, with the message that I just receive too many e-mails from school and other kid related activities, church, or friends, that I needed to be able to focus on the e-mails that needed attention. Before I put a direct end to this, it had gotten to the point where as many as 20 e-mails were being forwarded in a week. I know I could just hit delete, but I also had concerns about how cookies were being tracked in my in-box, and having certain message types would subject me to more spam, and other unsolicited junk. I can't say this has stopped entirely, because she is adamant that I must receive some information, and if she doesn't send it to me, I may make a dire mistake in my life.

Both older kids got around this in college by asking to not have their school e-mail used for anything other than essential communication. That must have seemed reasonable, because it did help. Their personal accounts were another story, which is why DS didn't even want some family members to know his e-mail. He created sort of a garbage account for that purpose, and assumed I would forward anything relevant to him to the one he really uses.

Our family has moderate political views, and while leaning towards fiscal responsibility, we are socially conscientious. To be fiscally responsible, in my book, is spending money on things that matter and have value, not withholding spending just for the sake of it. We believe in capitalism, but not in greed and making money on the backs of others.  We believe there needs to be a healthy safety net for all people, and that in the richest country in the world, there is no excuse for allowing people to go homeless, hungry, uneducated, or without proper medical care.  We do not have the answers, but are open to being in the conversation and seeing all ideas. We believe caring for each other, without judgement and condemnation is the Christ like way to live. We succeed at this sometimes, and like everyone, fail miserably at times.

Today though, DD#2 received an e-mail that just angered her to the core.  It was an extremely homophobic, gay bashing, hate filled letter in the guise of a prayer request. It was condemning of same sex marriage, and wanted prayers that the Supreme Court could see the damage they would do moving in this direction.  It asked for prayers for Ireland, that they might find new direction.  It asked for prayers for the sinners, who want to ignore all things right and good, to denounce their gay lifestyle and Satan filled hearts. I think this relative knows enough about me to know I would not appreciate this e-mail, so did not include me on the group.  She did however include both older kids (DS's dummy account), and DH.  DH is his work account, so I am very frustrated with that. So here is my dilemma,. Do we all let it go, ignore and give it no meaning?  Do we make our opinions known?  Does DD#2, as a young adult, tackle this head on, knowing she very well might cause a rift between her and the  close relative?  We know this is a deeply divided subject in extended family, and have danced around it. I have a standard line if I am asked leading questions by just saying, "we may need to just disagree," and I refuse to engage in the debate at a family function.

I know many of you that may read this might have strong opinions either way, and I am not going to even try to tackle the issue of same sex marriage and LGBT equal rights in this or any other blog posts in the near future. The hate language in the disguise of Jesus is what I am reacting to in this particular e-mail, and the fact that this relative thought it was OK to try and educate and activate my adult children about this wickedness. We are all entitled to our opinion. I can handle healthy debate in a less personal setting than a family holiday. But please dear relative if you are reading this, don't send me or my family another unsolicited directive on how we should think and act.

10 comments:

  1. you need to let that relative known it is not ok to send forward mails especially to your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. As the kids are adults, I think my daughter might share her thoughts directly. My son will just keep the dummy account.

      Delete
    2. yes, I understood they are not exactly kids anymore, but to parents kids are always kids...and usually the older person is the one who decides on strategies with relatives but then again something if you say something they get offended. I know it must be really frustrating, sometimes I get such forwarded emails from people I work for and I'm never sure how to deal with it.

      Delete
    3. An email from a boss would be a very challenging situation. Perhaps those are the quick deletes.

      Delete
  2. What a frustrating situation! My dad and many other people I know have that sort of dummy e-mail address that they give out to anyone they don't really want to be in contact with, including businesses. I just have a hundred billion unopened e-mails in my account because ignoring things is my specialty. Your political views sound like what we call a Red Tory here in Canada. The short way of saying socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

    Thank you very much for reading my story and leaving an encouraging comment. It means a great deal to me to know that I can write something that touches people. xo Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then there are the "real" messages we do need. I too have a store/promotion dummy account. The wrting thing on Natalia's site is going to be fun.

      Delete
  3. I have friends who need to notify me through forwarded emails of sin and such. Even if my friends get a rose with a prayer of any kind, they are sure I need to see it. I repeatedly asked one friend not to send me religious or political crap with a religious agenda. She declared me an atheist in need of help and sent me more.

    Finally, I told her to take me off the "friends" group she was sending mail to. Later, she said I told her not to email me again....grrr.

    She is a church-going Christian who is having an affair with a Muslim man who is married and has a child. She said the wife did not care, so she is not at any fault. However, I need help!

    A bigger problem than the messages is that she shows everyone's address. So, when she sends out my address with the message, anyone can harvest those addresses that are clearly visible. So, I get even more stupid emails.

    Another friend/acquaintance was just as annoying. I sent a reply-all message back to her and fifty or so others she had sent mail to, asking her to never, ever send me another forward. One of the people emailed me and told me he met her fifteen years before, had never corresponded with her and was still getting forwards.

    Thankfully, these are not relatives, so I very easily scraped them off my plate and even had to make it plain I no longer even wish to be greeted in public. One comes to me all whiny and says "even after all we have gone through, I still love you." WHAT kind of message does she think that leaves with all the people who stand with mouths open, listening to her?

    I am liberal and they are both ultra-conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be easier to just start again with a new e-mail in some senses, but inconvenient for you and all the people that you do need and want to be in correspondance with. I have a good friend who is an evangelical Lutheran pastor and he has more acceptance of others choices, lives, and ways they interpret being a Christian than this family member, and I consider myself very christian, so I don't want to paint this as a crazy christian behavior-but very invasive and offensive by the relative. Your emailer sounds like a doozy.

      Delete
  4. I am reading this wondering if we have the same relative. I decided to have 3 email accounts that I use regularly. One has limited users (only people I know and love) I am very protective of that account and use it for only people or things I need to be in contact with daily. Another is my general purpose account. It is used for businesses and people I do not need to be in contact with regularly. The third is for people I generally consider annoying in some way or another and organization emails (i.e. forwarders, school, ball teams etc ) It is a convoluted way to organize myself, but it works for me. I check email 1 several times daily, email 2 only if I need to follow up on some online purchases oh check what super sales said online store is having. Email 3 is the tricky one. I enter the school email addy in the search option daily, but the others tend to get lost in the shuffle, and I retrieve them on an as needed basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That system sounds similar to mine but there has been some blurring. It sounds like I'm not alone with having a relative who likes to keep us informed.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.