Friday, June 19, 2015

The Favorite Coffee Mug

 
 

This might be a weird personal thing, but I really must have a very large mug from which to drink my my morning cup of java. I've taken pictures with my little blue coffee cups that are part of my fiesta ware dishes, but rarely do they really get used by me personally. If used, it is after dinner when I've actually set the table like I heard regular grown ups do, and even then, just when we have guests. My first go to mug is the clear mug that fits my hand well.  It was a gift from a coworker several years ago, and came with, of course sachet's of coffee.

In the winter months, I like to use this one, another gift, this one form my sister.  She gave it to me along with some soft cushy slippers and a box of hot chocolate mix.  It too is deep and big handled, and the cute picture warms my soul along with my stomach when I'm sipping from it. As all things though, it has a time, and once the snow starts to melt, I do not want to toast to the merits of more snow-particularly after the May 1 snowstorm we had two years ago.


When the dishwasher is full, I resort to using soup bowls like this one. These were from an after Christmas 75% off gift pack that had four soup bowls and two cans of Campbell's tomato soup.
 I have a whole shelf of assorted coffee mugs.  Mugs form my kids from Mother's Day and other Christmas themed mugs from coworkers or Sunday school kids over the years.  I don't think I have any more left from my preschool teaching days, and I sadly miss the one I received from my 4 year olds as a wedding present. I used it for nearly two decades in the work place, and then one day it vanished and never showed up again. I probably left it in the kitchen and it was used by someone else, and either made it's way into their stash of mugs or was broken. It was just a tan ceramic mug with flowers that no one would suspect was anything of meaning.

Yesterday I did some browsing after an eye appointment in Home Goods.  If you don't know about Home Goods, to me it is like the best jumble or garage sale ever, but with new merchandise,laid out and displayed in colorful style. They do have some static departments, but generally the selection changes frequently, and they also clearance out things quickly.  As I am trying to both declutter and save money for upcoming trips and now the added expenses of violin lessons, I talked myself into bypassing all the sweet deals, and just getting inspiration. It took all  my resolve to not nab two white over sized coffee mugs. They were just the same style and size used at Costa, a coffee shop I grew very fond of on our UK trip. The mugs were just $3.00 each, and would have been a low cost gift to myself for being such a good patient at the eye doctor. Alas, I exited the store without mugs in hand. I figured if I still wanted them tomorrow, I could swing over on my lunch break.  I'm actually not working in the office, so now that will need to wait until Monday if I do change my mind, and then, more than likely they will have found their way into someone else's kitchen, holding their delicious java.

Would you have bought them?  Am I going to be regretting the two mugs for a decade to come? What quirky items bust your resolve?
 
If I could find Stevie's cup from Miranda, I would be a happy person.
 








7 comments:

  1. Sam, posting about coffee mugs is very timely - today I opened the lovely pack of coffee you sent .. Lovely! I had my first cuppa using my Haddon Hall china. It is a quintessentially English design and I use it all the time for I love to use bone china.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. Dunn Brothers is my favorite place in town. Even though they have gone bigger than their original store, they are still feel more local and independent. I enjoyed some this morning as well.

      Delete
  2. I like a nice big mug! My only stipulation is that the inside is white - the colour of tea or coffee never looks quite right when the inside of a mug is coloured or dark.
    No, you won't regret not buying those mugs, and if you do, I'm sure you'll see something really similar another time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, funny, so right about the mugs. Blueish tinged creamed coffee does lose some appeal, though my work desk mug is very dark blue, inside and out.

      Delete
  3. Forgot to say, Costa is my favourite coffee chain too. My absolute favourite is our local independent but Costa is reliable everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I could do an almost identical post. I have two very large "go to" mugs for my morning coffee. I actually enjoy my coffee a little more when I'm drinking it from one of the two (they rank in order as well, a favorite and second favorite). Then I could go down a list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We human's do create our routines and rituals don't we? I also think it tastes so much better than any paper cup take out, so why do I still succumb to the paper? If I'm staying put, I always ask for a real cup. The indie coffee houses are much better at assuming real cup before paper, but I have to remember to request at Dunn Brothers or Caribou.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.