Wednesday, June 17, 2015

No, I Won't Post as My Status Update

I deeply care about bullying.  I am troubled with the treatment of veterans  and hoops they go through to access benefits.  Cancer of all forms is cruel and those battling it or who survived are courageous. Pollution, greed, abuse of power and the societal ills give me angst daily. But you won't find these as my status update on Facebook.  I'm fine with being accused of not caring because I didn't post a meme for 24 hours as my status update. If you've been on Facebook, I am sure you've been cajoled to show your passion by copying and sharing as your own status update. I don't need to repeat a canned phrase and guilt trip others to think how I think. Social media is a powerful tool to build awareness and drive people to sites and sources to learn more.  These repeat statements and shaming tones aren't educating or building awareness, to me; they're arm chair activism at best for people that really can't be bothered to enter into tough conversations or act on their convictions.  Maybe the poster does feel strong about the subject.  Then post an original statement with a link to learn more.  Tell me about how it impacts people you know or how you're getting involved. I won't feel shame because some one accused me of not caring because I didn't copy and repost. I know most of you will scroll by this without another thought, but for my real readers...sorry, I just wasted a minute of your Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't got the hang of Facebook yet. I've got an account but have never posted on it (I belong a women's group and that's it). It seems a very demanding site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it a little too much some days. It is a good organizing tool, and I love seeing real pictures and getting updates from family and friends. I don't like some of the political and mean spirieted or guilt trip things though.

      Delete
  2. No need to apologise. I ignore all those "Share if you agree..."-type posts on Facebook too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they will disipate over time if fewer and fewer people repost-a lot of scrolling through some of the stuff. Now asking me to like the picture of the adorable baby alpaca's from last week, I'm all on that one.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean! I basically ignore those posts anymore. It's kind of like the old email chain letter. Send this picture of a rose to 10 people you love including the one who sent it to you... REALLY? You're THAT insecure with our friendship?? I actually picked on a friend of mine once and said that. I didn't receive an email from her for at least 5 years...

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.