Saturday, August 15, 2015

Breakfast


There are not many commonplace experiences I enjoy more than breakfast.  I'm not talking about the bran flakes in the cereal bowl, mug of coffee and a bagel kind of breakfast, which is typical of most of my mornings.  When I think about enjoying breakfast, it is the full on eggs, potatoes bacon and sausage, and if possible, biscuits and gravy.  Add a bottomless pot of coffee, and once I leave the table, I probably need nothing more the rest of the day; that is how satisfying a big full breakfast is to me.  

This love of breakfast is rooted back to my childhood. When I was growing up, Sunday's were still a day of rest or at least not a day of employment. After we went to church, it was normally my dad that would make the big Sunday breakfast. Pancakes or waffles, big pans of scrambled eggs or  batch after batch of over easy ones, and a pan of bacon and sausage. The toaster kept popping up warm bread to smear with butter and jam. We would take our time eating because food came out in batches, all lingering around the table. The girls cleaned up after and then we all went on with our day, dad now able to relax with the Sunday paper, and a ball game on the television or radio.  As the years went on, and we kids were out of the house, we often would meet my parents after church for breakfast at a favorite diner in town. We rarely go out for breakfast anymore since my parents have passed away.  

Lately, a meal like this is more likely to  be on our supper menu, as none of the three of us are up and eating at the same time. Add to that the mess of the various pans and the time to sit and enjoy, we just don't choose to build the full breakfast into our morning routine. But this morning will be different.  DD#1 is home, and like her mother, she loves the full on breakfast as well. Of course, hers will be minus the bacon, sausage, and sausage gravy.  There might be a side of pancakes. While I wasn't planning on eating out, the unexpectant extra two days of her company, has made me decide to splurge on a mother daughter breakfast, and some downtown window shopping. DH is at work, and DD#2 is already out with friends, and the kitchen is remotely clean to the point I don't want to create another mess. How about you?  When is a meal more than a meal?   



4 comments:

  1. Your story of your family and breakfast together brought a tear to my eyes. Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sonya Ann. I do get nostalgic with food. It was such a nice relaxing morning with my daughter, and because so infrequent, enjoyed all the more.

      Delete
  2. How sweet! My husband usually makes a big breakfast on Sunday mornings too. Biscuits and gravy and a side of scrambled or omelette eggs made to order as people drift into the kitchen before church. It must be because he knows we're all home at least that morning at roughly the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband hasn't quite captured the spirit, but occasionally he likes to do the egg burrito thing-that is his speciality. Yesterday's breakfast was yummy, and today will be just be a bagel and coffee again.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.