Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Hodge Podge Fake Away

I never remember why or when I first started following certain blogs, but there is usually something that sticks and keeps me coming back or adding them to my favorites.  I've been reading the SkintDad UK blog for a while, and one of the features I like the most are the  budget recipes and "fake away" recipes.  Simmering on the stove right now is an inspired Masala dish from this post HERE.  If you scrolled around, you'll also see a Chicken Curry dish.  My recipe is a mix of the two, because I used what I had on hand; zucchini in place of broccoli for the vegetable masala and chicken instead of potatoes and carrots.  We don't have garam masala in our coop, so a healthy helping of curry powder had to do.  I've also got basmati rice and am giving naan bread a try.

This is a weekend kind of dish, but after a day driving to and from a meeting venue  90 minutes each way to do a 30 minute presentation, and nothing on the calendar tonight, I thought why not weekend up my Tuesday a bit.  I'd like to try the onion Bhaji's as well, but think I might save for a different day, and combine with  zucchini.  Dawn at Doing It For Ourselves posted a recipe making them with zucchini, or courgettes as the folks over the Atlantic call them.

There was a slight pause in my post as dinner is done, and the smell was just too good to  wait.  The masala was very good.  The naan had a good flavor, but now I know my baking powder has gone flat-I couldn't get the good puff to the bread. I have quite a mess to clean up, but will after DH gets home and has eaten.  Skint Dad had this recipe right.  I don't think I am near as cheap as he does it, but even with chicken, I think my costs for recipe, naan, and masala is under $6.00.  DD#2 and I are both stuffed, and I am sure we have a few leftover meals for lunches. Here are a few pictures. We've declared it a keeper, though may buy naan if I came across them already made-but it was my first try. How about you?  Have you tried any new dishes or created an alternative to take out?



Another edit: DH is home and just filled his plate with seconds,  DD came down for another piece of bread.  There are no leftovers.  It is a good thing it was frugal and all the ingredients on hand for another round soon.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to run over there for a visit. I love making fakin' food. And I have to say that I was hungry after seeing your pics. YUM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite tasty. I most definitely recommend zucchini in curry.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a success! It looks delicious. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been in a food rut and after too much real takeout last week, this was a welcome change.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.