Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Apples


September is in full force. The area apple orchards are announcing tomorrow what apples will be ready for picking starting this weekend. I heard there is a possibility of Sweet Tango's.This is a newer variety, bred in my own back yard by the University of Minnesota.  We like to pick our own, but these are not yet abundant enough that they let people pick, but several have the apples for sale in their shops. Honey crisp are our favorites.  Sweet and tart, I can make a meal out of them. Apple picking is one of the simple pleasures.  We are getting a good rain while I type this, and if it is sunny tomorrow, it is almost certain the orchards will be ready to go with at least one of these sweet varieties. Who else  pencils in a visit to the orchard each fall?

4 comments:

  1. We go to an orchard but they charge an arm and a leg for the privilege of eating their apples. We do go for the donuts though. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always figure there is entertainment value in visiting an orchard, plus picking exactly the perfect ones, to me justifies the increase per pound. Plus, I have mastered the optimal bagging technique.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this, it isn't something that happens in the UK, or not that I'm aware of. But then I do live in the middle of a major city, so perhaps it does go on out in the apple-growing countryside! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.