Friday, September 11, 2015

Feeling My Age?


I have been  a participator in a writing exercise via my other blog, Sam and Coffee created just  to hold my writing indulgence. The latest prompt was to write about the age I am now.  As I am now less than three months shy of turning 50, a fretful milestone birthday for some.  I am not particularly bothered by  my age.  I could do without the aches and pains, but manage with as few medications as I can.  No, what bothers me, is the passing of years, and the reality that my "to do" list, will most likely outlive my life.  I'm not talking "to do" list this time in terms of cleaning the oven, decluttering a closet, or vacuuming the stairs.  This list  is more relational to a  bucket list, though not so grand.  Sure, there are those big events I have on my wish list, or bucket list; traveling to far off places, writing a book and actually publishing it,  taking an educational sabbatical, these all rank high.

What matters just as much, if not more, is my truly basic "to do" list. The big moments may be grand and memorable, but the little daily events outnumber 10-1. Stopping on a whim for an ice cream cone with DD#2 when I picked her up from practice, just because, was a good "to do." Sitting with DD#2, showing me her latest project on-line, and hearing more about her new (now official) job, just the two of us in the middle of a Friday morning, allowing my telecommuting morning to be interrupted for a bit, was a good "to do."  In my post today, I decided there was again that link with time and money. You need money for some of the big experiences, but you need time for the ones like hanging out with friends for long afternoons chatting and laughing over cups of coffee. To have the time, means you need to have enough money somewhere to not be spending those same hours earning a living.  It is  a circular treadmill, one that I realize I haven't completely gotten out of. I am probably coming off as contradictory. I say my increasing age isn't bothering me, and yet this pending birthday is stirring up these thoughts. The difference in being bothered by an age, and being reflective of the passing of years, passing of time, is perspective and who you are and how you spend your time-no matter what your age. 

I don't feel 50, but then when I was 21, I didn't feel 21.  What is an age supposed to feel like, anyway? Things are in different places on my body; I creek when I get up.  My fingers don't do what my brain is telling them to do at times, but in many ways, my mind seems younger than it has ever been, more nimble and  if not accepting of different points of views, at least willing to listen. I guess I am saying I will try to strive towards a celebration of 50 years of life. Instead of lamenting about getting older, I want to look forward to how ever many more I have, while not being nagged inside that I'm letting down those that didn't reach whatever age I am. In this spirit, who's up for a party this year?


6 comments:

  1. What's an age supposed to feel like anyway? Sam, I'm nearly sixty four and still wondering what life will feel like when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Like your moocs-life long learning is a good "to do." I hope I never stop growing up.

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite post. I get it. I'm turning 44 this year and things ain't what they used to be but I'm more than ok with it. I love how I think and who I am even if the old girls are saggin' a bit.
    My bucket list was to raise good children, travel and write. I'm getting there. I also wanted to learn to fly but I'm not real sure about this one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe age gives us some wisdom based on experience, so some of the things in my big bucket list 10 or 15 years ago are just not there anymore, but other things have taken their place. I'd fly with you if you learn!

      Delete
  3. I was 50 in February. I feel better than I did at 40, which is probably down to the changes I've made in my life. I recently started a new sporting programme, doing something that I have always said that I couldn't do. My progress in the last 2 months has been nothing short of amazing, to me, John and the girls. The only thing that bothers me about ageing is the knowledge that I've lived more years than the number I am likely yet to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I just felt physically as good as I did at 40, but with RA, probably will never quite have a body that can do the things I did before pain free, but I refuse to be sidelined and participate as much as I can. I'd love to hear more on your new program-congratulations You understand what I mean about not being sidelined. If I am successful living my days to their fullest,which is sometimes a mind struggle to me, I feel like I should be ok with how ever mnay years I have left.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.