Monday, November 28, 2016

November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month

Being healthy is truly the number one gift a person can have. I am so thankful that my recent health issues have been deemed minor in the scope of things, have been dealt with, and the accompanied  vitamin and mineral deficiency are being corrected. Still, the scariest part wasn't the surgery I had, or the major surgery that still might come, but the thought of being out of commission even for a few months from all the lovely things life has to offer.  

I was contacted back in October when pink ribbons were everywhere raising awareness  breast cancer and have been woefully remiss in writing  a post to promote November as Lung Cancer Awareness month. Better late than never if just one person reflects on it. I am happy to lend my support to a health issue that recently became too real. You might remember me telling you about the loss of a dear colleague this past summer from lung cancer. She came back after the Christmas/New Years holiday with a bad cold, so she thought. Which was upgraded to pneumonia, so she thought, but then by the end of February, had a stage four lung cancer diagnosis. She left behind a 22 year old son, a sister and other family, and many friends. In a blink, she was no longer here. 

I have no clue if anything could have been done if found earlier. I can't surmise what might have led to her risk factors. I can though look after my family, friends, and yes, myself, and understand what contributes positively or negatively to lung health. From avoiding direct hazards like tobacco and toxins, to keeping active and vigilant about air quality in our homes, work, schools, and environment, knowing and being aware is the first step in the battle. For example, asbestos found in older homes and buildings can cause a cancer of the lung called mesothelioma and radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer

For more information on how you can learn more about staying healthy and improving your quality of lung health visit American Cancer Society-Stay Healthy.





1 comment:

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.