Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Blogging While on Business

I'm trying to make sure I have some off work time whenever I travel for work. That's often tough to do since the expectation is to do business dinners with colleagues and maximize the travel costs.  Relationships are key in just about any job, so this is an important part of traveling. Then there's checking e-mails and following up on phone messages. As I did last Monday night, I try and get some time walking on my own. This trip, I decided against  bringing my real camera, but hope I can capture a thing or two on my phone that might be of interest.

Welcome to Dallas, Texas. I've been to Dallas a few other times, all for work with the exception of driving through when I was 15 on route to a small community for a 4-H exchange. I've never been for fun, so I don't know much about the social life here, and doubt I'll get much of a taste of it tonight or tomorrow night.I am woefully tired as I had a stupid o'clock flight and stayed up later than I should have.Hopefully that means I will sleep really well tonight. 

I have a quick 30 minute conference call to figure out our best and worst case scenarios for July launch of a new phase in my program. Unfortunately despite best laid plans, an IT contract didn't get executed early enough and will not be in place July 1. No contract, no software developers and project manager to launch the software changes. There's nothing more I could have done beyond my area to finalize, so now problem solve is what I need to do, and where I unfortunately have honed skills. My meetings start at 1:00, so best be on my game. Hope your Tuesday is off to a good start-I may be back with a few Tuesday affirmations, if I can find them.

4 comments:

  1. Well crap on a cracker, I hope you get some you-time in, at least a walk like you say. I always found business travel exhausting but hubby usually enjoys it (I stay home with the dog, clients pay for his travel and usually that is just fine with me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that expression sums it up. I felt really bad for our IT director, who feels like he could have done more, and was not anticipating this problem. We problem solved a worst case plan, and it just means delaying some software changes, but policy work can go forward Life is too short, so no blame anywhere.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so sorry you had the IT glitch.
    Hope the conference is great and issues at work are easily remotely resolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year changes went off pretty much without a itch, so can't expect perfection all the time. This is unfortunate, but not dire. I actually am getting boatloads of work done in the down time.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.