Thursday, September 7, 2017

Not Part of the Plan

I was really late getting home last night from work. I stayed late so I could catch a transitioning staff person that is coming in only at the end of the work day. Sadly, once finally on the road, I witnessed the tail end of a motorcycle-car accident on route. I had several clean towels from the lake in my car that I gathered and were used to keep the motorcycle victim warm until paramedics and ambulance arrived. A few people that also witnessed and seemed like they knew what they were doing waited with him, talking to him so he knew help was coming, and one stayed on the phone with 911. I waited with the older couple involved in the collision. They tried to avoid the cycle, but he still hit them, and their car ended off the road and up the side of the ditch, barely missing a large metal sign post. They were injury free, other than a bumped wrist on the driver, and understandably quite shaken. A large white truck had made a left hand turn right in front of the motorcycle who tried to veer out of the way, unfortunately hitting the car coming in the west bound lane. I left the scene after helping the older couple retrieve their insurance and other needed items from their car as they were now in good hands with the first responders. I had little to add as I was a car behind so didn't see the direct cause, only the car going up the ditch, and cycle on the ground. I was sad to learn this morning the poor man on the motorcycle passed away. 

 It was a beautiful night, but the time of night when heading west bound, sunlight is right at a vehicle window. I'd like hope the white truck didn't intentionally put others lives at risk by pulling out in front of the cycle and just didn't see him-a true accident. Accidents caused by careless and reckless driving though  in my opinion should be treated as harshly as using any other deadly weapon. There are idiots out there that think they are indestructible, forgetting they, and others are not. 

It was DD2's first day of school. I had hoped to have a nice catch-up with her, and nice calm night with my family. I'm sure those involved directly were on their way to friends, family, happy times, a job. This was not part of their plan. We all go about our lives, trying to be planful in some areas, let happenstance occur in others. Witnessing this, once again, I'm hit slam in the face with how quickly the best laid plans can come to an end. To hell with my careful budget. We were all pretty spent after me telling and them hearing about the accident, and hungry as it was well after 8:00 by this time. We had relaxing family time with a food splurge of taquitos, supreme pizza, and chicken tenders-junk food comfort food, popped in the oven while we heard about her classes and the marching band preview show she attended. The night was too precious to waste counting pennies and cooking from scratch. I savored every bite. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. What a terrible situation for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not only a matter of careless driving; there are many (mentally)sick people out there on the road. Doctors are not reporting and authorities are ignoring reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad situation to have to be a witness to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How terribly sad. My youngest wants his motorbike licence (but thankfully can't afford it) but I just feel that however good they are they are still extremely vulnerable. In January I was on the bus going to work and (I found out later) a cyclist had gone under a truck turning right. I saw them working on her and the truck driver sobbing against a wall. The young cyclist was 26 and I learned later she died. I don't know whose fault it was but I know two lives (and families) were destroyed that day. It also gave me pause for thought on just how wonderful our emergency services are - the things they must witness are beyond my comprehension. I know I couldn't do it. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two boys were rear-ended by an eighteen wheeler as they turned into my driveway in 1963 as they came to see my brother. One died and the other lost his whole leg. I am terrified to even drive behind a motorcycle because I know how vulnerable the drivers are. That was tragic for all involved. I am so sorry it colored your life and glad you managed to make the night pleasant for your family that night.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.