Thursday, October 12, 2017

Anniversary Week and Vacation Planning

Tuesday was DH and my 30th wedding anniversary. Wow, has that gone fast! We celebrated as couples that have been together longer than their age at wedding often do when the date falls on a weekday, regular life. DH worked well past 8:00 and I had regular busy stuff going on. Tomorrow morning though we go to the Lake Superior shore for three days, two nights of hiking, shop looking, leave gazing, and a couple brew pubs. We have no agenda and that works great for me. Despite my post last week on desert in restaurants not being worth the price most of the time, we have a special stop for pie, maybe lunch then pie, north of Duluth in Two Harbors at Betty's Pie's. DH insists we've stopped before but I do not remember doing so. 

Today will be jam packed at work as it is my last day in the office until October 23rd. I have a sizable balance of vacation hours and will still have over three weeks accrued after this leave. I'm starting to plan out how I will use. Unlike my last job where unused vacation was paid out when you departed, unused vacation here gets converted to dollars and put in a health savings account.  While technically I wouldn't lose it, I think I'd rather preserve my health and well being by using my vacation tie as it was intended, for taking well needed breaks form work. I'll keep earning more time as well each month.

DH has been very much on the fence about Europe next summer, perhaps not even quite approaching the fence. We are not one for anniversary gifts, but he likes to give cards.  On my card he had drawn a little airplane with EUROPE written next to it. I guess this was his way of saying her has gotten on the fence and over to the other side. Now I get to start the real planning, figuring finances, doing research. Since the adult kids would only be able to spend  little over a week, planning accommodations so that we don't spend more than needed in week two  will be helpful to the budget. I want to make sure we at least have a kitchenette to save meal costs. Oh the planning! 

For me, planning is part of the great fun of any travel. even for this weekend and next weekends college road tour, I'm scoping out the best stops along the way, took my time researching hotels and places to eat. While things can go wrong even with the best made plans, I find I do enjoy the time better when I have a course of action. We like to be spontaneous with activities too, but the big details are not going to be winged.  Enjoy your Thursday.


16 comments:

  1. I don't exactly enjoy trip planning, especially if it involves flying. I don't relish that type of travel but it's hard to do anything overseas without it....unless you have the time to take a Grand Tour on a ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all like flying, so no concerns there. I've gotten so detailed I plan local travel via public transport ahead of time.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your anniversary and I hope you have a fabulous weekend. I always feel better once I have the plane tickets booked, just trying to book our Spring trip to Italy with 2 kids. So glad your hubby is on board with your Europe plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend is for relaxing. I will start laying out varied itineraries.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you both, hope you have an enjoyable weekend away.

    How fun to get started with the planning for your trip to Europe, exciting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We might get rained on but I'm ok with that. It wil be a wonderful opportunity.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your anniversary. You MUST do Europe. OK I'm prejudiced but it is so so beautiful. Hard work, yes. You don't speak the language. Sure. Food different. Yep. But I love it. Let me know where you are planning to go and I will pitch in. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure we will be in Paris. We might add London and Edinburgh, possibly Belgium or Germany. So many options. Feel free to suggest.

      Delete
    2. It depends what you are looking for I guess. Culture or scenery. I go for scenery every time but then I'm a peasant. Feel free to drop me a line about where you are thinking of going. I guess Paris is a must for most but there is so much more than Paris. Think Zermatt (the Matterhorn), Madrid, Greece. I don't know. Like I say, it depends on how much time you have and where your main interests are. Glad to help if I can. Anna

      Delete
    3. Air fare to Greece and outside of the major European cities may make some trips unrealistic for 5 of us. The difference alone from flying home from London compared to Edinburgh was $400 a person for example. DH and I can do ore traveling as a duo later.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your 30th wedding anniversary. That really is something to celebrate!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 30th! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. Maybe we'll be lucky and get another 30. My parents had 62 years.

      Delete
  7. Congrats Sam to you both and how exciting planning a trip. I can't wait to read what and where you've included. I get great pleasure from other people's travels as much as my own lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% sure. All five will weigh in but as I'll do the plannning, I get the final say.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.