Sunday, November 26, 2017

Weekend Wrap-Up

It is already Sunday morning of a four day weekend. I had a very low key, but special Thanksgiving and birthday weekend. It started Tuesday night with my shopping for meals through Saturday and for the items I was bringing for Christmas. DD2 got home about 7:00, ate a quick bite of dinner and came with me up to the fancy Hyvee to shop. I wanted to make sure I only had to make one stop and knew that store would be stocked to the rafters. It was fun exploring the store, looking for all the produce and miscellaneous items we needed, chatting about how gorgeous the store was. She liked that they had a health store and imported foods section, not that we bought anything. Like me, she was wowed by the beautiful bakery and deli area, which we successfully avoided as not on our list. 

DH and I worked on Wednesday, but the girls spent time with friends and DD1 had lunch with her Grandma. DD1 also made vegetarian chili and cornbread for supper-delicious. The girls helped me prep food later, all ready for finishing in the morning. Thanksgiving itself was cool, but sunny, with the girls starting with the Thanksgiving run and an exercise class-pre-dinner guilt relief. No drama at either host, just good food, good wine, and family. I think I've found that I can handle being with my sister-in-law or my brother-in-law, but not both of them together for any extended period of time. Together, the volume just goes up and up as each vies for the top of the ladder of attention. I regress.

DH had Friday and Saturday off as well, but he went up to the lake while I did some holiday stuff, with Hallmark movies on in the back ground. Of course DD2 had friends to spend time with, while DD1 met her bestie in the cities. Later she joined me and my sisters at the local for happy hour and the Minnesota Wild game. No supper for any of us, these nachos were consumed along with naughty cheese curds and wings, but DD2 and I did a late Target run, after the Black Friday craziness was a long distant memory. My actual birthday was Saturday, and it was all things holiday! Coffee at a quaint coffee shop, free squash, two craft fairs, and a Holiday hoopla. We roasted a S'more downtown, had a mimosa, and got a sneak preview of the new brew pub that a local family will open in the spring. Shh, don't tell DH he is getting a t-shirt and beer glasses from me. Dinner was a vegetable pasta fagiole soup, crackers, and DH picked up an apple pie instead of cake. 

I don't need much in life to be happy, and this weekend proved it. Family, friends, good food, doing things I love. I had several extra walks, tried to indulge in more vegetables than pie, (though there was that), and just relish in being away from work when everyone else is as well, so no back log to go back to. I didn't accomplish as much on my list as I woul dhave liked, but things got done, and will continue to plug away as the week goes on. I hope your weekend was as enjoyable as mine. 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely fabulous birthday! So glad it was just what you needed.

    We had a low key holiday weekend as well, and I loved the with my family, bonus time to work out & cook & get things done around the house. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holidays should always be low key. Finally having one, this is now what I want for the new normal.

      Delete
  2. Sounds a wonderful birthday weekend Sam with lots of fun stuff going on. It's great to know that the best times are spent with family without needing to spend spend spend. Most of my weekend has been spent with two of my granddaughters such fun. It's now Sunday afternoon they've now gone home and I'm relaxing quietly with hubs and cooking a roast. Oh I've managed a good yoga session too so great weekend so far and not a penny spent lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good weekends for us both. I'm about to do my mini yoga to start my Monday.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about enjoying being off when everyone else is - no backlog to go back to. That doesn't happen often of course but I'll take what I can. And a belated happy birthday. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked messages and I had 10, 8 f them just mass group FYI messages and the other two just updates from a meeting a colleague attended Wednesday.I feel refreshed and already ahead of schedule.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful birthday Sam! Happy belated birthday! I will recap my weekend hopefully this coming week. I just popped on here to read a few blogs while I was eating a quick lunch before heading out again--this time for our town's Christmas parade. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at my grand age of 52, I need nothing, so simple things like a cup of coffee with my daughter, and a free squash, are pretty lovely! We didn't stay for the parade which started at 5:30. We had a Hallmark movie to watch.

      Delete
  5. Well Happy Birthday to you. I also have a Turkey baby who will be 25 on the 28th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was she born on Thanksgiving? I guess I gave my mom a day of calm instead of a day with her other 8 kids at the time, who all went to my aunts.

      Delete
  6. Belated happy birthday wishes to you. My hubby's birthday was the 22nd and we went out for Mexican. It's back to work today for me and probably everyone else that had the last few days off. It sure was nice being home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and you had the whole week. Are you ready, or dreading? Happy belated to your hubs as well.

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday to you! So glad you spent it doing what pleased you! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday - sounds like a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.