Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Nomad Life?

Day one of the winter commuting season nearly did me in! I left my house at 6:55, had a brief 15 minute stop on route, and three hours and 5 minutes later I was finally in my office. Not much to do-complaining won't help, but how every other Minnesotan forgets how to drive every winter will perplex me until I die. After the first 90 minutes, I turned off Minnesota Public Radio, had heard all the headlines, and tuned in the oldies station, carrying Christmas music all day every day until December 25th. It was slow going, but I only got white knuckles five miles from the office. A truck in front of me couldn't move forward when the light changed. He kept backing up for traction, to no avail. I left a wide space, but he was getting dangerously close with each attempt. Finally, I was able to pull over to the right lane and he could back up farther. He might still be stuck though for all I know!

These are the days when I start thinking about retirement, or at least retirement from the daily grind. I start imagining what life would be like if we sold everything, bought an RV and moved from nice place to nice place, escaping the crappy weather, just living the dream. I imagine what all I could do to support my family. Blogging sure wouldn't do it-I'm only averaging about $8 per month in AdSense. Apparently though, the wonderful nomadic RV life might be all myth and no magic. The Beautiful Airstream Myth popped up on Facebook. It is an interesting read, basically taking all the joy out of my little mind wander. Still, I can see the romance of traveling wherever your heart desires. 

When I first started reading blogs, I focused on thrift, travel, England, and a combination of all. I'm not sure how I stumbled across Lovely Grey's blog, but I did so when she had recently moved full time into her little camper trailer, fondly called Klaus. Here's a post from about three years ago, sharing with readers about her lovely garden, that is hers for the while her camper is parked in the location. Lovely Grey Day now is about her life in a lovely house, that stays put each night. Still she shared several trips with housing provided courtesy of Klaus.  

I like the idea of having a homey place that is mine, or ours, different from staying in hotels or motels.To think I can cozy up in my own sheets, in my own bed, each night, but wake to a different landscape seems like an incredible, yet comfortable adventure. I say all this as someone who has never even vacationed in a trailer, let alone lived for a significant amount of time in one. There's that whole Airstream myth again, when in reality, it could very well be less Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and more Walmart parking lots. How soon I forget the calls and texts from my daughter when she legitimately was living for three months in an RV for her first post grad school job. Her stories of waking up seeing her breath because the heater wasn't working, eating wilted and near spoiled food because the refrigerator didn't work, they were hungry, with no money nor access to fresh food, and having to bath in gas station or Walmart bathrooms the best she could because that was their only source of hot running water, was far from iconic wanderlust. 

Still, I long on these stupid commuting days, the freedom to just keep driving, arriving at a destination out of the cold, off the parking lots that are pretending to be freeways. Maybe Lovely Grey would loan out Klaus for a month or two? 
The myth> :https://pixabay.com/en/photos/rv/


Reality? Funtimesguide.com

17 comments:

  1. WM does not have hot water anymore. Rent an RV if you have a few weeks of vacation and see how you like it. I think about that, too, but want several sewing machines with me and my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely start by renting one and seeing how that went.

      Delete
  2. We did New Zealand for a month in a camper van earlier this year and I loved it so much so that there has been endless discussions re selling up and taking off for a life on the road etc. However decent vans are not cheap I would definitely need a fixed bed and decent shower and enough space etc and also I don’t want to not have a house lol. We are thinking about downsizing and buying a van too but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like quite an adventure. scrapping a permanent home entirely woudl not really be an option for us either.

      Delete
  3. I've got close friends who disappear every weekend in their van. He was a Director of a company until he had a major heart operation two years ago. He spent hours driving all over the country in his 'fancy' company car, drumming up business and super-stressed. Now they live the 'laid back life' as much as possible. They've made huge numbers of compromises .... but it works! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if we didn't go far, Minnesota alone is loaded with gorgeous state parks (though still cold!) but I bet every state has more for us to see, and then there are our neighbors to the north.

      Delete
  4. https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
    Oh my how often I've dreamed of that life as well. The idea of pulling something that large behind me is a big deterrent however. I've loved the idea of a tiny house and spend a lot of time on tiny house websites. Dream on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture going backwards and then off a cliff! I look at tiny house, tin y lfats etc. all the time as well.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't want the maintenance...and some of those RV sites are almost as much as hotels....however I would like to spend several months a year as a beach bum in Mexico with my hubby and my dog. Maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found the price in some places is pretty darn high as well-not sure if the amenities are worth it, but then how many amenities could their be.

      Delete
  6. Oh Minnesota weather can't say that I miss it. My dream is to be left alone for a week so I can sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are so stretched right now. I have to admit, when the traffic was at a stand still, I had nice calm listening to the radio. However, once at work-the back log of stress came back.

      Delete
  7. All you need to do is relocate out of the snow belt. No RVing required. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but I love the four seasons-just not commuting in it. Plus, I am ready for winter to be done by January 15th! Maybe along the Mason Dixon line?

      Delete
  8. We had an RV for about 15 years and used it a lot. Fishing every second weekend and taking off in the summer. That being said, been there, done that and even though I thought at one time I could RV full time I now know I couldn't (parking up at Wal Mart anyone?) especially if you sell your home and then can't get back on the property market should you choose to. Or what about when the RV needs serious repairs. Nah, I'll pass. But I for one know all about the commute from hell. When you mentioned recently clocking up 300 miles a week I thought (again) hey my twin now lives in Minnesota! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are international commuting road warriors, Anna! I laugh because my daughter's best UK friend is referred to as her international twin.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.