Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Financial Goals 2018

I want to hit the ground running on January 1, not carrying forward any 2017 expenses. I need to quickly get the last of my Christmas shopping done, which I use our credit card for to earn points, by December 10th, to close the statement. That gives us a clean slate to start the new year. 2018 will be expensive. While we won't close the books on 2017 for another three weeks, I roughly estimate we will have cash on hand in our fungible money market of $13,000, available for carry forward spending. We still have the car, appliance, home maintenance (not improvement) fund that we'll continue to feed $325 a month, separate from this account. We have funds set aside, not enough yet, but some, for DD2 college. We're increasing that target after she got a look at a Division I school as her first choice, for now. While she may not go there, I'd rather over prepare. 

There's other accounts, not part of the $13K such as DH's from his pre-marriage years and family gifts and small inheritance. I have a smaller separate account. We have a liberal six month emergency fund set aside. If worst case happened, both DH and I were out of income, we would scrape our monthly living expense way down from our current averages, but the fund includes 50% of everything I can think of that we spend in a year, not including targeted items like vacations, Roth, college, and home improvement.

Leaving all other accounts alone, we are starting with a balance of $13,000, cash. Pardon my layout, I can never get the spacing quite right on columns.

Financial goals
  1. Fully fund the Roth                                              $13,000
  2. Once in a lifetime family vacation                        $12,000
  3. College Fund                                                       $12,000
  4. College and Show Choir Road Trips                   $  1,500
  5. Home Upgrades                                                  $  9,000                                                                                                                           $47,500

Woah, Nelly. that is a steep climb. Even knocking off the $13,000 starting balance, leaves us with $34,500, or on average $2,875 per month. $6,400 is made up with my two, three paycheck months, and the increase take home in November and December when I've maxed my 401K. That brings the typical monthly cash savings target to $2,341. It's a mountain, but doable on paper if DH stays within 10% of his earnings this year. What's life without a few challenges? We need to update our monthly household budget, making reductions in areas that we care less about such as in clothing, entertainment, and household, but keeping spending on things in line with our values. If I can crack the nut on how to bring in a little side cash, that would make our 2018 wants more affordable.

For tracking purposes, I'll share at months end the following:
  • Cash savings increase
  • Non cash or payments towards goal items
  • Balance towards the goal 
As readers may recall, DH is almost all commission, plus various corporate bonus programs throughout the year. We have an up and down cycle of cash flow, borrow from savings to pay big bills, such as the Roth due in April, before we've saved new money. Some things, like the home improvements, cannot be put off any longer. While I can look for the best deals, these are becoming just the requirements of home ownership. Also, unless we have job loss, I am not going to do without the vacation. We have intentionally not done the anniversary party thing, scaling back Christmas and birthdays in our immediate family, and are happy to do so for the next couple years as well. Who else is starting to think about their 2018 fiscal goals?

11 comments:

  1. We have a big change planned for 2018, so there has been much checking of income streams, calculations and re-calculations. We just need to go through everything one last time, make a final decision on one thing and then everything can be put in motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't prod on details, but send you my best wishes that your plans go as you want them to. You were in such limbo during your spouses waiting time on the job front.

      Delete
  2. I really am impressed by your organizational/budgeting skills and you are absolutely right, cut back on the things you don't care about but not those that make life special - and that includes travel for me too. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to keep that in mind at the moment, so I'm giving myself little hints and cues to keep my money in wallet. Pictures of my kids, scenery, monuments, travel pics, college caps ad gowns. It is motivating.

      Delete
  3. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines :) I've been where you are and managed to pay off all debt while saving for retirement at the same time. You've got this Sam and I've no doubt you'll achieve your goals. As for me I'll be doing the usual - savings for trips abroad. I'm able to save $1,000 per month plus snowflakes on top of that. Now that I've bought the car I don't really have any BIG purchases on the horizon. Well not any I can see yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retirement, setting aside $1,00 per month is incredible. At today's costs, We will need to set aside about $15,000 a year in retirement for what I hope are our travel plans.

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed by the way that you manage the variable levels of income in your budget. When I took the decision to reduce my income by 80%+ we knew that there was always a safety net in Mark's salary.. and there only the two of us. I look forward to reading how things go in 2018. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously we have placed a priority on our children and their education, retirement next. Travel though needs to be up there, but you are right, we need to figure out worst case scenarios and having the savings cushion does that.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is the perfect blog I am looking this type of blog its awesome blog here , share great information about this topic. This informative blog helps many readers with their decision-making regarding the situation. Great articles and will look forward for more!Belastingen utrecht

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you - cut out out the things that don't matter, and save for the things that you care about. That is our general budget philosophy all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the plan for 2018. I also want to simplify everything-mostly relationships. Stuff means nothing to a relationship, but time and experiences create the memories that create meaning.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.