Saturday, December 16, 2017

Favorite Consumable Gifts

Thanks everyone for reading my post from Thursday regarding some of my favorite practical gifts. Many of you commented that receiving and giving consumables are well appreciated. I'm a fan of  gifts that have real usability and nothing speaks more to me than a little splurge of something I might not readily buy for myself. There is care needed in giving of consumable gifts. It can be real easy to get into a habit of finding a gift you think one person will like, then automatically buying same gift for multiple people. There still needs to be thought involved. I have a sister that loves chocolate covered macadamia nuts, not something a person just throws into their shopping cart on a regular basis. Another sister is deathly allergic to all tree nuts. See the problem? 

Killing siblings aside, a good consumable gift is one the recipient will enjoy, or minimally be able to use  in the company of others to enjoy, if you may not know their preferences particularly well. DD2 has four special extra music directors/teachers in her life right now. She'll give them each a coffee card with a box of candy, varieties she knows they like. She has had a grueling school year and has had several of her teachers reach out or she has come to them for extra help, a calm down, a "let's put this in perspective" conversation, or she just really enjoys the class. She wants to give each a thank you. She bought a box of mixed dark, milk, and white chocolate truffles for each of them. Hopefully, at least one type they will like, but they can share with their family, friends, or other school colleagues. 

Homemade gifts, particularly when a specialty of the gift giver are some of my favorite consumable items to receive. I make really good strawberry, mixed berry, and rhubarb mixed jams. I plan to give several jars this Christmas. When Sluggy, who happens to be doing a December give away  stopped in Minnesota on their cross country vacation, she shared with me a jar of her special pepper relish. As she said, it is so good on a brat, hot dog, or our favorites Italian Sausages. She lugged this to Utah and back to Minnesota-that is a thoughtful gift.

Refillable items, where the packaging is a gift of sorts, and contents are consumed may make people smile. These tins were to put aside a portion of my Puppy Chow and Chex Mix  before the first batches get all eaten, but equally could be used as a gift, and then refilled later for a subscription like gift. That was one of the raffle prizes at my work food shelf fundraiser holiday event. A colleague put two dozen cookies in a large Rubbermaid container with a card good for 6 refills throughout the year. Wasn't that clever?

It doesn't have to be food items. Think anything people like and use but needs to be replenished put together in bundles or individually as a thoughtful gift. Here's a short list of ideas:


  • Box of assorted greeting cards, and stamps
  • Stationary set and stamps-bring back old fashion real letter writing
  • Wrapping paper and bow bundle
  • Shampoo, conditioner, hair product,shower gel packs, or bought individually and bundled in a gift
  • Liquor
  • Small notepads, journal books, and a good pen or pack of pen
  • Hand soap with hand lotions
  • Bath spa items-bombs, milks, crystals, if you know the person is a bath taker
  • Make up palettes-This is a tricky one, but you may know what they want specifically
  • Car care kit-though I have to admit, this took the brunt of family jokes for a decade after this was one of DS's presents in college. A more mature recipient might not laugh at it so much. It was his version of getting a vacuum cleaner.
Feel free to continue this list in the comments. I try to remember though, the greatest gifts are those of love, time, and attention.

8 comments:

  1. I love a nice bottle of (inexpensive) wine, that the giver knows matches the recipient's taste. Costco often has great deals on really high quality wines. It's an easily consumable gift, but also helps me discover new favorites. Unfortunately, I prefer white wine, & almost everyone, in my experience, gifts red wine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always giving wine because of our bottles through our wine club. I need to make sure to pay attention to whether I see the perosn drinking read or white and gift appropriately.

      Delete
  2. Didn't lug it to Utah and back to Minnesota but rather through PA, MD, WV, KY, IN IL, MO, IA, NE, WY, CO, UT, all over ID and MT, back to WY, then SD, ND and to MN. And it almost went into WA too. lololz Plus the shampoo too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a true gifter phenom! Oh, and the shampoo-great stuff for my daughter to get rid of the product build up, and that stuff is a pretty penny in thee store. Thank you so much again!

      Delete
  3. Great list. Your ideas are thoughtful. I also think candles are great. If you have a crafter on your gift list, yarn, cardstock or adhesives are a great thing. Reeds for your friend who plays the clarinet! I love gifts that show you have truly thought about the recipient, and paid attention to who they are. You didn't just given a gift because you felt you had to, or, because you believed the commercials and thought it was the "gift to give." (I am looking at you DH with your laptop, i-pod, Kindle and Boll and Branch sheets. By the way, those are awful.) I am trying to teach my kids that a gift isn't an obligation on either side, and cost isn't important...the gift giving nonsense at this time of year really irritates me. My favorite gift ever was from eldest DS to DD when they were about 6 and 4. We were in the thrift shop and he came to me with a small, glass apothecary jar and said "I know it sounds crazy, but Sister loves to fill glass jars with screws." (True.) One of the workers heard that, and put a handful of nuts and bolts in the jar for him. That jar STILL graces her dresser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sone was really creative and that is a gift. My youngest found an LP for her sister at a thrift store-I think she will love it.

      Delete
  4. I am at that age I enjoy homemade/edible gifts above material possessions. Good for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More bread making tonight. Last year my colleagues liked my assorted treat tray, so going with that again, and some breads. I'm not a crafter, but I can bake withthe best of them.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.