Sunday, December 31, 2017

Menu Planning and Saving on Groceries in 2018

I caught the grocery challenge bug in 2017 and created all sorts of challenges for myself to stay on top of ever growing food costs. I had clean out the pantry challenges and meal planning challenges galore. About mid year, I started on my targeted spending per month challenges and had moderate success. For 2018, I'd like to stay at a total household and grocery budget of $400, all inclusive of what we eat, what use for cleaning home and body, and miscellaneous needs. I'll have to invest a few more minutes using the weekly adds to scour opportunities to stock up on loss leaders, but also building a surplus so that we don't run out of basics and end up paying, the horror, full price. I also will continue to hone batch cooking or at least, double recipe cooking so we are less tempted for take out or expensive stops on the way home from work. More plant based meals will be a help as well as relying on generic/basic store brands such as from Aldi's or Cobornes. Menu planning, making sure to use up the bits and bobs of food will be an essential tool as well. In short, five strategies that while might mean higher spending some months, should help me overall reach the $400 average target.
  1. Stock up on loss leaders
  2. Double or batch cook
  3. Increase plant based meals
  4. Less expensive no brand staples
  5. Meal planning
When it comes to meal planning, I don't do well with a hard day to menu correlation. I prefer to create meal options. This gives me guidance, but also always for flexibility when no one is feeling like eating what I thought would be made. We did a good job eating down the Christmas leftovers last week and carry a few things into January. Essentially though, I start with a blank pantry, freezer, and refrigerator slate. Here's my rough list for this last day of December-first week of January. An * is for items that would work well to double.
 

  • Tonight:Salad (baby spinach, craisins, sunflower seeds, bacon bits and homemade balsamic dressing) and Stromboli to bring to my sisters for New Years eve. Our Florida brother gifted a $100 certificate for meat to use when we would all be able to enjoy together. New Years eve will work. I am making wild rice soup for lunch and leaving DD2 and friends with pizza and other snacks for tonight.
  • Crock pot pasta prima vera
  • Chicken cutlets, roasted potatoes, and steamed carrots
  • *Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables
  • Chicken and egg fried rice with vegetables
  • *Sloppy Joe's and French fries 
  • Goulash with corn and green beans
  • *Country style ribs or pork in BBQ(leftovers not eaten for pulled pork), sweet potato wedges and mixed vegetables
Keeping to a tight, but not austere grocery and household budget will help position us to meet our monthly  $2,875 a month average savings target. I'm continuing to look for recipes my family will enjoy, are nutritious, yet keep the cost per serving low. If you have any favorites that fit this bill, please share in the comments or link.


6 comments:

  1. Do you like risotto? This is one of my favorite recipes for using up fridge leftovers & it goes in the oven (so, no stirring). http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/oven-chicken-risotto

    I adjust the mix ins to use up what we have in the fridge. I follow the core risotto recipes, but change out the toppings all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love risotto dishes. I just saw that this one cooks in 40 minutes which means I could use on weeknights-what a find. Thank you. Any hot dish type recipe is great for using up stuff, but I didn't relaly think of a risotto.

      Delete
  2. I was just wondering if you use Checkout 51 for grocery rebates. I use it only for the odd thing I already buy (is in USA and Canada) and is super easy to use if you use the phone app. I get about $40 back a year from that. The other thing you might consider using is Flipp which shows you electronically flyers from your area. If you have an expensive item on your list (like an OTC or butter) you can put that in the search area and it shows you which stores in your area have advertised that item. It is not always worth driving the extra to get there - but - if you were headed in that direction already worth stopping in and stocking up. I sucked at my budget this year but groceries in Canada are so much more expensive and we just don't see the sales you guys do. Oh well, a new year, a clean slate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm horrible about using the phone apps because I loose storage. If I moved all my photos off, that might help. I'm not opposed to shopping multiple stores if an expensive item and the savings is there.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your 2018 plans. I don't like making resolutions on 1st January because I always get the feeling that when I flunk out "I have to wait a whole new year to start again". But this year I really do want to lose weight and get fit as I will be 60 in September and if not now, then when? I have just caught up with your last five posts and thought your family were very thoughtful in their gift giving. And best wishes to you or 2018. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, losing weight is back on my list. I lost in 2016 and in 2017, so while only a few pounds, not my target, it is at least going in the right direction. Our Christmas was very lovely-thank you for reading about the gifts we all looked for.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.