I love a good challenge. The goal, to spend under $350 for the month of January on our household needs and groceries , henceforth H&G. Here's what I spent so far:
January 1-Walmart :Note pad and loaf of discounted Italian Bread $1.52. I also had to buy a bunch of hair care stuff, very specific, for DD2 for show choir, but I'm not counting that as it falls in line for me with the kids activity fund. It wasn't cheap though-nearly $20 on two sets of a spongey roller, $12 on dry shampoo,and $6 for tiny clear ponytail holders and bobbie pins.
Target:I needed a supply of my slow release iron and stopped at Target. Our Target in town is closing and so no restocking and they were out. I managed to hit the last of the 90% clearance on Christmas and spent $9.63 on more super large gift bags, wine gift bags, light up Santa slippers (for $1.00!!!) and a t-shirt for me for $1.49. This isn't technically H&G either so not counting it towards the $350.
Pub: I spent $5.00 on two MGD light beers on tap, plus tip. The Coors light keg was empty apparently.
January 4th: I ordered the flowers for the work colleague, but other c hipped in so my out of pocket was $8.
Aldi's. Bought groceries and some cleaning supplies and spent $93.80. However, of that, $8.55 was for two body scrubs and shower jell for future gift giving, so $85.25 was spent on H&G.
Walgreen's: Makeup and eyelash adhesive for DD2. Plus, several clearanced lotions, lip balms, and sticking stuffers. Total came to $18.08, but again nothing towards the $350 goal.
January 6th: Combined, DD2 and I spent $22 at show Choir, but this included a pass the hat donation of $5, so $17 on food and drinks. Ouch-would have been more if I hadn't packed some food.
What counts against the $350 budget is $86.77, leaving $263.23. I wouldn't need to track all these purchases, but outside of our household utilities, insurance, gas and maintenance and lease/car payments, and our life insurance, it is the extra miscellaneous and H&G where I have more choices on day to day spending decisions. I won't do this after January, but as I blog for myself, it will serve as a reminder of why I do these self imposed challenges. Life is expensive!
Here's what we ended up eating last week:
- New Years eve dinner of prime rib, potatoes salad and many appetizers. Pizza rolls, popcorn, and snacks for DD2.
- Crock pot pasta prima vera
- Leftover pasta
- Wednesday-not sure? Everyone just sort of fended for themselves because of crazy schedules
- Chicken cordon bleu, rice pilaf and steamed vegetables
- Sloppy Joe's and French fries
- DD2 and I sandwiches and consession food and DH grilled cheese and tomato soup
- Yesterday:Egg wraps and smoothies-Sunday brunch. Take out chicken dinner using a due to expire vocuher.
- Pasta Alfredo with steamed vegetables
- Tuna noodle hotdish with peas
- Another crock pot pasta prima vera as my family likes it and is is so easy to make ahead and I have cottage cheese to use up!
- *Vegetarian Chili
- Super nachos, with taco meat, refried beans, rice and cheese
- Red beans and rice and sliced sausages (have two large to use up) and corn or green beans
- *Navy Bean Soup
- Turkey meat loaf with mashed or roasted potatoes, corn or green beans
- Veggie curry with yellow squash and rice
- Homemade pizza