Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Beauty is Only Skin Deep-Positive Tuesday

Thank you for the lovely comments to my picture Sunday. My daughter is a pretty, though she doesn't think so,  and yes, we got rest mixed in with getting homework and laundry done. While I think all my children are graced with good looks, I'm  most proud that they are caring young people with sound critical thinking skills, talents, and self defined resources that will positively contribute to the world in some manner. That's what I hope I've done with whatever gifts I've been given.

I'm not writing this post fishing for compliments. I'm aware I'm not considered pretty in the way a person looks at someone and  thinks, beautiful woman. With my asymmetrical face, that looks a bit droopy on one side,inherited from my mother, I've had more than one person ask me outright if I've ever had a stroke-really! I like to think I overcome this misfortunate physical attribute with my stunning wit and amazing disposition.

Seriously, self deprecating comments aside, I'm OK with my appearance. I suppose I could learn and take the time to do all the makeup tricks that cover up the imperfections. I'm not opposed to make-up use and God bless those that have the talent and confidence to enhance their natural looks. I'm just not interested in putting that kind of time and attention to it. Show choir has been a culture shock for me as a parent in that sense as DD1 is the same way. 

However, I do value a good skin care routine. I'm not a slave to any specific routine or product and am willing to try out different things. I battled acne off and on in high school, college, and as a young mom, but for the last two decades, my skin feels pretty healthy. I like the opportunity to try new products I get in the subscription box. Almost each box has had some sort of mask, cleanser or exfoliator. What I've learned though is while the composition amounts and textures vary, the ingredients to ones I like are pretty similar. I shy away from those that might test on animals though I'm pretty sure the boxes have all been cruelty free products. I look for those with the fewest ingredients. It has been fun to try out different types including these sheet masks that I am bravely modeling below. I call these "Silence of the Lamb" masks, and they freak out DD2 and the dog, which makes the fun factor higher. 


"Hello, Clarice."

I also use good old oatmeal, pulsed quickly in my coffee bean grinder, and applied with water. I use a lot of lotion on my face as well. I rarely use foundation, but if I do, it has to have a bit of sun screen in it, as does my face lotions. I see lines  starting around my eyes, the creases of my mouth where my smile starts, and my brow. These are just natural and show the world I've lived a good life. Still, while I think beauty is only skin deep, this face is the only one I'm going to have. Giving it a proper daily  cleanse, moisturizing and protection from the sun, and a little extra pampering from time to time helps me feel good, inside and out. Now, to do something about these winter hands!

13 comments:

  1. I love a good mask too and have just found the sheet masks, but I am generally late to every party .
    And you are right about beauty and skin depth. One of the most beautiful women I have ever known is one of the nastiest humans on the face of the earth, When I see her I never see her God given good looks, I just see a really ugly person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only learned about them in one of the subscription boxes. I only have one left, and the retail price was more than I woudl pay, but I learned of a company that sells them for around $2.00 a mask, so not bad if only used 1 X per week.

      Delete
  2. You make me laugh so hard. I needed that. I too have beautiful children and am not so pretty myself. I hate putting on makeup but I do or I look like a pasty slug. I think you are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I just got that one. I'm a bit slow sometimes. Anna

      Delete
    2. You're all so funny. I do agree with Anne and have met some viusally stunning pills. Most I know though, seem to be blessed with kindness.

      Delete
    3. Kim, I was being kind and not letting on whom I was speaking about.

      Delete
  3. Give me personality over looks any day. I like trying out different beauty products too. On Saturday I dashed down to another town to pick up Yves Rocher products which I like and which are not particularly expensive, but then use a lovely LIDL face cream afterwards. I'm not sure you really have to pay a fortune for any of this stuff to be honest. I have taken care of my skin since I was very young and I feel it has paid off (particularly staying out of the sun) - my hands on the other hand. Yuck. You win some, you lose some I guess. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite being outside all the time as a child, I wasn't a sun worshiper to lie in the sun all day.Aldo's used to have a lotion I like, but I bought it again and it was much thinner.

      Delete
  4. I don’t wear much makeup and never Foundation I just can’t seem to apply it properly and when I do try I always think my face looks better without. I do love a lippy though and have a lot of those and mascara lol. I have always looked after my skin same as Anna even though I love the sunshine I protect my face fanatically. However I believe that what we put into our bodies has more impact on our skin than what products we use on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I occasionally when my face is looking ruddy will use a light foundation. I like the idea of lipsticks, but forget to reapply!

      Delete
  5. My children are beautiful and I am not at all. I go with it...lol. I used cornmeal for a scrub. And, never use a mask. I, too, know a couple of visually stunning women who are snakes. I used makeup in college and when I first married. Then, for about 40 years, I did not. I look too pale and pasty without makeup now that I am older, so I wear makeup. I know I am late to this party.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.