Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Marching Forward

Goodbye February. You were not a beast of a month, but not as friendly to me as I would have liked. So much snow to maneuver and a lot of work stress due to my own and coworkers illness plus more out of office days for training. It was not all snowy weather and  work load pileups though. Highlights were getting to spend part of the first Saturday with DD1 when she joined me for lunch and to watch her sister sing. She battled the snow and a white knuckle drive-love that kid! She's off traveling for work as of this morning and is thinking about her next career opportunities. I didn't have a lot of communication with my son, he's like that, but what little  I had was upbeat. We enjoyed an orchestra concert and helped with our own schools show choir competition. I also worked the school Mardi Gras event for DD2's  French club, made a little extra cash reffing one night, and met up with the volleyballl girls post season. 

So many bloggers set goals for the month and then dutifully check off what they accomplished or honestly share where they missed their self defined mark. I need to hold myself to better account. I'm hosting Easter on April 1, which gives me 31 days, four full weekends (though I chaperone show choir on  March 3), and a Saturday to accomplish a lot of needed projects around the house. I'm also in charge of the church youth and family Palm Sunday breakfast. While I have the routine done pretty well, it is a tiring weekend none the less. My list below includes items that DH and DD2 are contributing to, so this is both a personal and household goal list. 

Health and Wellness
1. Walk 60 miles for the month-snow aside, I can walk at the high school and the work walking map path
2. Use the work wellness center a minimum of 1X a week, bike machine or the elliptical
3. Lose 6 pounds
4.. Treat myself to a new hair cut and color (yeah-didn't do this in February either and so long over due!)
5. Read a book for fun
6. See at least one Oscar nominated best picture movies

Social
1. Join others at work for lunch at least one time per week instead of lunch on the run or at my own desk
2. Meet a friend at least once this month after work for a happy hour drink
3. At least one date night just DH and I
4. Have friends over at least one Saturday night-nothing fancy just snacks or pizza and wine and beer. 

Business of life-Blogging
1. Complete taxes
2. Review will and retirement accounts, adjust as needed
3. Set up a blogging-freelance bank account so I can finally cash in my AdSense revenue!!!!
4. Take and edit at least 20 stock photos for blog use
5. Purchase an external hard drive-back up items stored on my computer
6. Move, store photos and video on a few SD cards and reformat them (I'm spending way too much buying new ones!)

Household
1. Remove and donate 10 item from my kitchen cupboards not used
2. Sort all plastics with bottoms and covers, throw mismatched in recycling
3. Pull stove, fridge, and dishwasher out and clean under and behind
4. Clean all window screens, window sills, and windows inside (and out if we get above 40 degree days)
5. Each family member purge minimum of one trash bag of clothes
6. Organize and purge books and old magazines
7. Spruce up guest room
8. Rehang art work we want in family room
9. Hang Family sign made last September in the bar area (see below)
10.Set-up Wii, gaming area of family room
11. Completely clear and start fresh in my entry and entry closet, leaving nothing but items needed by current household members. Donate old sports equipment, coats, etc. 

Home Projects
1. Repair walls and grout around the upstairs bathroom tub
2. Paint upstairs bathroom
3. Fix ceiling panel in downstairs bathroom, tape, mud, sand, and paint
4. Create  Dry bar area in family room-repurpose piece of furniture and bar ware from own or thrift store

It is a lengthy list, but I feel like once we get on a roll, many of the things should be able to get done in a positive domino effect way. I'll need to be organized with my time, dedicating discreet and finite minutes for things like blogging and YouTube or television watching. My evenings will need to be focused, as will my three Fridays off. If I can squeeze in any telecommuting days, that will help me stay on top of things like laundry and day to day clutter busting. I'll let you know on April 2nd how my list turned out, hopefully with a few of those pictures to tell the truth. 

16 comments:

  1. That seems like a formidable list. That reminds me I need to reseal area between backsplash and wall. The 1977 putty stuff is started to fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but having down in writing , even if not all gets achieved, is a good and needed step for me. A lot of the tasks will snowball and get done once I start in one place.

      Delete
  2. I would recommend starting small, get one small item off the list in the first week and you will feel like you accomplished something. I just kind of wing it unless I am under a deadline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a game plan, and while th elist is long, some will domino completion form other efforts, and many are just reframing how I choose to use my time. A REAL deadline helps.

      Delete
  3. I went to see Oscar nominated "Darkest Hour" last night and shed a few cathartic tears. I had no idea how the government and monarchy made things so difficult for Sir Winston. If he hadn't been such a "bulldog" our history could have been very different, and not for the better. Good luck with your list - it always inspires me in one way or another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also saw the Darkest Hour and while it was a bit monotonous Oldman was brilliant in his portrayal of Churchill. And yes we needed the old bulldog then didn't we. Not sure there are many of his kind around nowadays. Anna

      Delete
    2. This is on our list to see. A vlogger I watch on Youtube thought it was interesting to view after seeing Dunkirk-the whole story.

      Delete
  4. You can do this. Also deep cleaning burns calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving more, less sugar, less simple carbs-my game plan for the 6 pounds.

      Delete
  5. I agree it is an overwhelming list
    I love that you are including social needs in your list. Sometimes I forget that aspect and let things go instead of making things happen. Kudos for your foresight.
    I desperately need to step up my game in all areas. During the winter I tend to be a bit more dormant, and it is full on spring here now. Times to dust off my backside and get itno gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kee convincing myself that while long, it is doable, and I have a real deadline. Nothing like inlaws who have a bit of a judgemental quality to put moivation at my feet.

      Delete
  6. 6 lbs in one month should be feasible shouldn't it so I think I will join you. Having stuffed my face (not to mention the wine) in Costa Rica, getting on the scales yesterday was a big "shock" - I shouldn't really say shock though because what do you expect. OK am off to write my own list. Cheers. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the throws of planning our France trip-and yes, the bulk will be PAris, but would love some great day trip options from you-by train-so all I can think about is French pastries, bread, cheese, and wine. More incentive to keep diligent now!

      Delete
    2. If I could only suggest one trip "up there" I would visit the American Cemetery in Colville. You know, the opening shot in Saving Private Ryan. It is stunning and so moving. Of course there are so many more places to visit but if you post your dates and locations I'm sure I can give you some ideas. Anna

      Delete
    3. Pretty much all Paris-but, willing to take a long day trip, or potentially even an overnight. We are not getting a car-hubs just does not feel comfortable driving outside of the US, so transit access needs to be part of the plans.

      Delete
  7. Wow Sam it’s a mighty list and I’m impressed. I’ve just finished Ken Folletts latest Column of Fire which is fab but only because I’m away from home. Reading at home is mostly Yoga based for my course which is no hardship as I love it but I thought I’d have a total break whilst away. I’m now reading the shell seekers. I’ve purged my clothes so much now I barely have anything left and if I buy anything new to me something has to go lol. Lots of lovely food in Costa Rica and also wonderful coffee I’m a convert I don’t know what shite I’ve been disliking for years but the coffee over here is wonderful. For all of you lovely ladies winter is about rest and regeneration so no guilty feelings re letting things slide spring is nearly here and we can emerge like beautiful creatures full of energy and vitality and tackle those lists head on lol

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.