Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Savings Opportunities in the Mail


I'm not patient enough, nor choose to spend my limited free time figuring out how to maximize  my spending in stores. I use the simple things like the discount cards at stores that give me the coupon prices without cutting coupons and will load cent off per gallon of gas. That's easy-the card is right in my wallet or at one store, just my phone number works. While I hate having all those extra little plastic things, the savings come without me having to do any effort. I go in streaks cutting out coupons from the Sunday paper. Often they expire before I even get around to looking at them again, but on occasion, the coupons match what I need that week. One area I look for are hair care products, because the savings can be huge when DD2 needs mouse, gel, dry shampoo, and hair spray.

Saturday's mail brought several opportunities for some serious savings on what we might otherwise spend. DH got his 11 year anniversary gift for Kohls-$11 to use on or towards anything in the store. Great timing as he is in need of new underwear! There was also 30% off voucher, plus the opportunity for $10 for each $50 Kohls cash. Now we might not put that to use because we don't really need anything else from Kohls, but to save $11, and then 30% of the remaining balance will be a win.




We also got the monthly savings packet of local businesses, mostly restaurants. There were the regular $5.00 off $25 from several, but one restaurant, one we like very much but don't go to often, had a buy one get one offer for Sunday-Thursday. We have been trying to be much more intentional about when we go out to eat, making it an experience and not just for convenience. I don't mind the idea of a date night on a weeknight, breaking up the stress of work, saving weekends for either extended family and friends, or just relaxing nights at home. Making sure DH and I have at least one date night is on my March goals and I think we will use the coupon and go out some Sunday-Thursday evening. If we go on a Tuesday, we could even add a $5 movie to the night. Living large in Minnesota we are!

 About two weeks ago DH was getting ready to make breakfast burritos. We had a package of Little Sizzlers in the freezer. He took out half to fry up, but noticed they looked so much fattier than normal. Not sure if it was a bad run at the processing plant, but literally each sausage was nothing but fat. He looked back in the package, which had thawed, and it was a messy blob of fat. I sent an e-mail via the companies web page with the codes and date. We've never had this issue before-love these sausages in fact, but thought they should be aware. While we only spent $1.00 on the package, it was nice to receive four coupons for $1.00 off any Hormel product in Saturdays mail. In essence, I'll recoup my $1, and have $3 more to either buy more of the same or different products. Definitely worth two minutes of my time to send a courteous complaint.



I guess I'm directing this post to myself as a way to remind me I don't have to be super skilled at the art of deal making in stores and restaurants. Keeping my eyes open for obvious opportunities doesn't require any extra time. Making sure that when I do spend money, I receive what I pay for is important as well.  With modern websites, it is easy to share a poor experience. Most companies want to make it right , so a minute or two of time is usually worth it. Someday when I retire, or working less than full time, or have one less person at home, I might decide the time investment to be a skilled shopper is worth it, and then I will brush off old blog posts from the super savers and try and hone my art. Until then, I'll keep checking my mailbox. 

6 comments:

  1. I am not really a skilled couponer either. I work Rite Aid fairly well. I find the best way for me to save money is to not hit those box stores. Like you, I will use those inserts if they coincide with a need--for instance, I know I need to get a DS a pair of concert pants. I have been looking in the thrift shops for months, but nothing has popped up. So, I am keeping my eye out for the Macy's coupons in the mail, and will probably use those with remaining Plenti Points. My other key to saving is to simply not shop, other than the supermarket. Kohl's is big around here. I have several acquaintances who get caught into the Kohl's cash trap...they'll go to Kohl's and spend, say, $50 on towels, so they can use the $15 in Kohl's cash they had. I don't go to, say, Macy's, simply because I have a 20% off coupon which is going to expire in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping for need and planning wants in advance is good advice. It;s not just about what I save i a store, but what I spend.

      Delete
  2. I love coupons but not enough to spend countless hours on them. I have found that sending the company a quick note on an item will usually garner a nice response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at sending a polite complaint as being a good member of society. Instead of badmouthing the company, I shared how good they worked to satisfy me and now they were alerted to a potential problem to fix. I never get upset when well placed criticism of my work place is shared constructively. It is how we improve.

      Delete
  3. It was very smart of you to send a courteous letter of complaint. I think so many people rant and rave that a simple letter of dissatisfaction is responded to quickly. I tend to do deals like you do. I am much more likely to redeem a coupon somewhere like Kohl's to buy something we need than use a cents off coupon at the grocery store. (My exceptions are hair color and laundry product coupons because they are always great coupons) I also periodically get 5 dollars off 30 from Publix and Sprouts and I make sure to use those since that = 5 bucks of free food. I will never be the super saver because it occupies too much of my brain that I had rather be using for something else, but I understand that is just how my head works. I applaud those who can/will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to pass up $2 and $2 off coupons on hair products-like throwing cash-same withthe grocery store bonus buys. I admire Sluggy becasue Ithink it is a good hobby, supports her faily, and suppports the community becasue she puts together donation boxes. I just don't have the patience.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.