Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Mid-Month and Count Down

February being so short, Valentines marks the mid point of the month. Today also marks my midweek count down to a four day weekend. We have no show choir on the calendar at all! DD2 and I have a full day college visit at one of her top contenders. We had done a self look back in October but all the formal tour slots were full. She was disappointed with the school, but then it was after she had just looked at a school that ticked everything she liked physically about a college, except a little thing like her preferred choice of major. This college has her major-in fact has an entire facility devoted to it, unique in this part of the country. I'm hopeful that she sees the school Friday with fresh eyes so she can make an informed decision, not a college glossy brochure view kind of decision. 

We don't really do Valentines. I'm reffing the last session of volleyball tonight. DH has been trying to watch the Olympics-he loves the snow sports. I'm looking forward to doing some Olympic watching this weekend as well.  There are a lot of Minnesota athletes competing which always makes me feel like the world is a much smaller place. Valentines might be watching a couple ski runs and a glass of wine tonight when I get home. 

I feel moderately better today. Work is just odd trying to keep so many balls in the air, not knowing who will be out sick. Apparently Minneapolis and St Paul is the sickest metro area in the country. DD2 has a meeting before school for the National Honor Society application process. I'm proud of her for being invited to apply. She'll have to write a statement and get two teacher endorsements.She works very hard and this would be good recognition of her efforts academically and extra curricular. Well, I best get in the shower. Wednesday isn't going to do itself. I look forward to a good long catch-up with all of you this weekend as well.

9 comments:

  1. This is just a county school system in AL, but 27% of the students were absent, so they closed the schools last week for two days before the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A coworkers daughter teachers kindergarten and one day only 6 of 24 kids were in school!

      Delete
  2. Our four-day weekend starts Friday. We are "celebrating" Valentine's Day tomorrow night as a family, since it's not a school night. We'll have steak with bleu cheese, and red velvet cake with Chantilly frosting. (It's supposed to have butter roux, but I feel like making Chantilly.) DH and I may, or may not open the bottle of wine purchased for New Year's.
    Congratulations to DD on her recommendation to the National Honor Society! (And you too, Mom!) I still have my certificate in its leather case somewhere--probably where my degree is!
    Speaking of degrees, the sibling who went to Carleton did so sight unseen, as did I to my alma mater. Ultimately, one campus is much like the other--I almost didn't choose mine because they didn't have an aquatics center, just a pool in a nearby building we could use. Well, do you know how many times I went swimming in four years? Once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have tried to look at Valentines as more family and friends as well. ONe of DD2's boy friends bought "Kiss o grams" antiquated term for a song and a lollipop, for all his friends, guys and girls alike. I thought that was sweet and made sure no one in their group was left out.

      Delete
  3. Oh those college choice years, we did not give our girls much choice, in state or local, it is what we could afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a cap on what we too can afford, but within that, there are a lot of choices and sometime private have so much better grants and scholarships they are comparable. My older two went to a large urban University, but i hindsight, both might hve chosen differently. There's always hindsight so best to not dwell.

      Delete
  4. We had 2 kids who went to a state college, but Son3 sprouted wings and flew in a different direction. I think you just have to be willing to talk it over (and over and over) but ultimately let them go where they want. But it is hard (and sometimes expensive)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't have a firm direction on what she wants to do. I guess when she sees the right fit, she'll know.

      Delete
  5. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role.Now we are able to make your love life healthy and it has no space for any type trouble. These all are possible with the help of AGBAZARA TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back withing 48hours who left me for another woman. you can also contact him on ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call or WhatsApp him on +2348104102662 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.