Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Celebrating Success-Supporting Each Other

Today, we we hope to get out the door notification to over 100 programs, individually formatted for their circumstance, the launch of a new process that has been in the works for a year. It landed on my lap last summer as a default. Quite frankly, had it not, had things in our division not changed the end of July, I doubt this would have gotten off the ground. I'm not being arrogant, but I also am not going to be coy and not accept my contribution, my leadership to this project. I give credit where credit is due, recognizing all those that make an endeavor a success. Being able to own and celebrate my success and skills has not always been so easy.

Women often get an unpopular work place reputation if they are straightforward, take control, and not accept lower standards and excuses. Men exhibiting these traits get promotions. As much as my industry is dominated by women, the percent of men to women in the organization that are management, it's probably 4-10 women. The tide may be turning though, and I welcome it. Part of the tide change though is also in the way women are working, and what they are willing to accept. My older perception, based on personal and heard experiences, is that women are often shy to take credit. But so many of those that are not shy about taking not just their own credit, fail to also recognize the contributions of the women around them, perpetuating the earlier stereotype. I've also witnessed women managers with fear that allowing  change and flexibility, will make others perceive them as a weak leader . This is an antiquated management thought. Recognizing that women (and men) can give 100% to their job on work time, but be allowed to leave it behind for their personal lives at the end of the day are not exclusive to each other. 

A former staff person  reached out to me for advise on how to advocate for one of his direct reports to his supervisor. His staff proposed a 4 day, 40 hour work week. He is supportive of it for both business work flow and as a way to support a quality employee when she returns from a family leave. His supervisor, a woman, blankly said no. Reason being, everyone would ask for that. My first question I had was "so what? Why would that be a problem?" First of all, everyone does not want to work 40 hours in four days. Second, added hours to the rest of the week actually would increase timeliness of meeting deadlines because the use of company resources caused by waiting cues on copiers and printing, plus break times, would be reduced. Based on what he shared, no business reason existed to say no, or at least none was thought through. I gave my advice on how I would approach again strictly from the business case, suggest a trial period, but ultimately, I no longer work there so do not understand the new dynamics. It jut seems women should be having each others back, and not slipping into complacency around the status quo. 

Tomorrow, I'm making a stop on route, picking up fruit, yogurt, and granola for a parfait bar to celebrate this project success. All will be invited in the division because in some way shape or form, they contributed by supporting the core team. I'm also going to make sure my supervisor, and the supervisor of the other point person, know the extra lengths we took to ensure success.I don't know if I'm board with the lean in business, but I'm all for standing up and being noticed. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm for supporting any co-worker, regardless of gender and tooting their horns for them. And I do like the flexibility that that one person recommended. Not EVERYONE would do it and just leave a skeleton crew on a Friday, for example, but it would sure help out those who need it! I'm typically the kind of employee that doesn't ask for credit for something I've done. My boss knows what I do and get feedback from clients, so it comes back to me in the way of bonuses, which I love. There is no room in our company to advance, as we're so small, so this works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think good work stood for itself-until I learned it often does not.A former boss likes to take credit for a huge growth geographically that happened a year before she was even hired.

      Delete
  2. It is important to give credit but to also stand up for kudos. I have a hard time taking credit of any kind, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of us do, but once you do, it is a bit of a domino effect. I don't think it means people become arrogant, but feel more confident, which I think results in better work.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your department's, and YOUR success. It's hard for some people, men too, in fact, to balance accepting credit, and recognizing others' contributions. I've been on the receiving end of not receiving the latter when I worked, and let me tell you, it stung! Reading these types of posts of yours makes me realize I am truly glad I left all that behind, though, believe me, I mourned for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quiet behind the back stabbing is still present-I won't miss that. Still, I witness it in competition mode with volunteer stuff, our children, neighbors etc.

      Delete
  4. Women have had a Queen Bee Syndrome. She has made it up the ladder but will not pull up anyone with her. This type woman never celebrates another's success. She will actually kick the woman below her trying to advance up the ladder. It was a more regular thing of the past. Hopefully, this behavior will eventually stop for a more helpful mentoring attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good analogy for the type I'm talking about. On the other hand, i was greatly aided in my career by three different former bosses, confident in their won skills, that they gladly created opportunities for those under their leadership. I hope I model their example and not the last one I had in that company.

      Delete
  5. I have an excellent employer and my immediate colleagues are great. BUT the director of our division doesn't want to know about working reduced hours/flex hours/working from home. It's madness because some people already do all that - thanks to the previous director. The madness comes from the fact that quite honestly the work could get done in reduced hours and he would have the additional budget available to him. I asked to work 80% once (which I could do easily) and he said a blanket no. Obviously if there was a lot of work I would work 100% - no problem - but it is a blanket no to everyone who isn't already doing it. For me I just say ok I'll go with it - the extra money is going to pay off my mortgage and I will retire that much earlier. I do think though that as a man whose wife was a SAHM, it's sometimes a bit too easy for him to just tootle home after work and put his feet under the dinner table. Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice guy, but he has no idea what it's like in the real world for the rest of us. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket "no" seems extremely poor as a business action as well. I've seen limited abuse or misuse of flex schedules. Usually, the people work so hard trying to prep for their days not working, they end up achieving so much more.

      Delete
  6. I love the concept of flex time or off site workers. TheHub has one employee who gets in the office at 6:45 every morning and leaves at 3. He loves it because he is in the office everyday at 7 anyway and it gives them time to go over any issues she has before the madness of the regular work day begins. Another works 4-10's. She is incredibly happy to reduce her child care expenses. It's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it just makes senses. Require core hours when all need to be present. for my job, that generally is Tuesday though Thursday, 9:00-3:00, then use the balance to flex or structure time that blends work needs with personal needs.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your achievements at work and a parfait party sounds like a great way to celebrate. My co-workers and I used to work 7-2. I'm an early riser, so I prefer to come in as early as possible. I asked my manager if she could change my hours to 6:30 to 1:30. My co-workers then asked to come in later from 7:30-2:30. My manager proposed the idea to the principal and she actually ok'd it. It's been working out well so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In talking with my boss, we decided we are doing this on Tuesday ow when we have all staff in the office for our monthly meeting. She's contributing to treats as well. As you said, propose what you think will work, and hopefully get some support. You will all want it to work, so will do your best work to make sure it is successful.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.