Friday, March 9, 2018

Feeling Good Friday-Ain't Going to Lie Edition

Weight loss-nothing and I may be going in the opposite direction. Sleeping? Last night was awful and I feel like I was in a train wreck this morning. Seasonal allergies or is it another round of a cold? Yeah, it's kicking my butt again. Excuse me  moment while I wipe the sneeze residue from my screen. I didn't mention my fall Tuesday morning between the parking lot and my office, right in the middle of the road. A road mind you, on a good clear, snow and ice free day I eel like I'm taking a risk crossing because of the cars flying through with no attention paid to the cross walks. There I am laid out flat on my back, looking like a walrus. I had the wind knocked out of me momentarily, but then was able to roll to my side and get up with the help of a couple souls making their way across the lot. 

My boss turned 56 this week so decided she needed to give up Diet Coke. I'm not sure why 56 was the trigger, but good for her. While I haven't cut cold turkey, I might have at most, one can or bottle a week. That stuff though is like crack. I would hear her pop the can and I would for a moment dream about my Diet Coke filled days. 

Still, overall I am still living the good life. Here are a few highlights of my efforts to feel better  physically and mentally.


  • I resisted the mammoth and delicious looking muffins put in our team room at work-banana walnut too.
  • I couldn't be completely rude and not accept a cookie my coworker and his kids baked together on Monday's snow day, but I did just accept one. 
  • I'm adding extra steps to my walks with pup. Well, we cut Monday's ice walk a little short as neither of us were enjoying getting pelted in the face.
  • I limited my evening screen time, computer phone and television to two hours every day and was off at least 30 minutes before going to bed.
  • I was about to head back to my desk with my heated up leftovers, but then decided to take a detour and join the others eating in the team room. It was good to get away from my desk or meetings for twenty minutes and chat. 

It was not a health conscious full week but I own it. If I want the pounds to go, I need to improve my eating habits and add even more steps. I need to nix the screen time suck, but I have a start. How did you do with your health and wellness goals this week?

15 comments:

  1. How old is your mattress? We weren't sleeping well for a while...waking up achy, and congested. After over a year of this, I convinced DH it was time to replace the bedding. got a new mattress and pillows, and I finally feel like sleep has returned. Our old mattress was about 15 years old, still looked great, supposedly had a 30 year warranty, but that doesn't mean a thing. We initially tried a memory foam, which I hated. I felt like I was sleeping on a sponge. After two weeks, I had them exchange it for another conventional pillowtop style. As for our pillows, (down) I forget how old they were, and even though I use pillow covers which I wash regularly, I flat out tossed the pillows and bought new ones. It was quite an expense, but it was worth it. The aches have subsided, and I don't get the congestion, sneezing and dry mouth at night. DH now thinks we need to switch out DD's and youngest son's mattresses too. If we do, I will certainly find a less expensive way to do it than a big box mattress store, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have the solution and a new mattress is on our list to buy. Maybe it will move up the priority list. New counters will wait a bit longer I guess.

      Delete
  2. Some weeks are like that and just kick us in the butts! The best thing we can do is just pick ourselves up and carry on (I tend to use guilt in a bad way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm not discouraged yet. This will be a good weekend-lot's of sun, supposedly warm temperature in the 40's possibly, and lots of housework to do to burn calories.

      Delete
  3. In winter it's hard to lose weight. This should be done during the warmer months. When I enter winter my goal is to try and prevent adding up to the weight I have achieved during spring/summer/early autumn. To do that or close to that, I need good, reliable scales. Mine is Tanita solar. Since I'm a retiree, I have the time to get on the scales almost daily or every two days, before my first morning cup of coffee. It helps change size of portions or eliminate food items in my regular menu, according to the weighing result.

    I usually sleep well, but if I have trouble falling asleep, eating a small-medium size bananna works for me (maybe it's the potassium in its composition; I really don't know, but it's a fact).

    Good Luck with your efforts in your health/wellness department! It's not easy, especially when one is still in the working force, but it's definitely possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is hard, but now that we sort of are heading to spring in our part of the world, I need to get motivated. I want to look better, but more importantly, we will be putting on miles on our trip and I want to be able to keep up with my family.

      Delete
  4. Some weeks are like that, some months are like that (ask me how my February and this first week of March have gone...) You are aware and that is a good thing. Good for you for joining in on the work lunch time; I find that when I am in a funk that even a short amount of time with others that are not my immediate family help me to feel better. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work with a good crowd and it is important to get to know folks a bit outside of formal meetings.

      Delete
  5. Try doing a walking video in the evening to ramp up your metabolism. They are easy and fun. You can get them on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to picture how that works. Do I watch and walk in place, or watch on my phone while walking?

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. That would have been painful (as well as embarrassing I imagine - don't worry, I walked into a lamppost while I was looking behind me nebbing at the neighbours). As for the weight, I guess we all have weeks like that. When you said you wanted to lose 6 lbs in March I thought I would join in with you. I will weigh in on Monday and have been pretty determined about exercise this week. But I guess Monday will tell. Ya win some, ya lose some I suppose. I'm sure next week you'll slay it! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was painful, but I am such a klutz, I rarely get embarrassed about anything anymore. Well, the time I got out of my car and felt a very cold breeze because my pants got caught on something and ripped-that was a bit embarrassing! No,my first few seconds of panic were I was going to get run over and die in the street!

      Delete
  7. bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.