Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday Morning Reflection

I took out for his morning piddle and was surprised to see a fresh coating about an inch on the ground.  I thought we were going to be missed. The roads are just wet it seems so hopefully it won't mean a sucky commute. Have I mentioned once or twice I am so tired of winter? I spent yesterday afternoon recovering, and getting light tasks done. This followed my early morning at church 6:45-12:45 coordinating the Palm Sunday breakfast. Our numbers were terribly low, official count 153, but I think a few ate but didn't put a ticket in the basket, our tool to count how many we served. It is free will, and the menu was pretty yummy, eggs, pancakes, french toast, sausage, juice, coffee, and milk. Next year though will be my last year doing the coordination. I'm starting to recruit a successor as I don't want to be tied down to Palm Sunday when DD2 is in college as I can't be sure when her spring break will be. We may still use that week for our own vacation time.

This was almost as low as the year spring break fell the week between Palm Sunday and Easter. I'm not sure what is going on. I guess the Wednesday night suppers have been packed during lent. Maybe folks are socially spent and either just want to go home or go out for a full brunch. We need to rethink because it is supposed to be a fundraiser for the kids. It's way to many man hours as other than quantities (and we have to over estimate), the work is the same for 150 or 250. Perhaps it is not serving the same function as past years since there are so many other fellowship opportunities during Lenten season, and more people want their weekends free or at least commitment reduced. Wednesday church school outnumbers traditional Sunday School for that same reason. Kind of ironic that our church school numbers between Wednesday and Sunday have stayed consistent, but adult attendance has dwindled. Grandparents enrolling and taking their grandchildren perhaps and parent disengaged? 

Last weekend, I went with a friend to a non-denominational service because her daughter was singing lead. I was curious as well as the church is just a few blocks from us. It is a new branch of a big church a couple towns away, a true Twin Cities suburb. The music, all contemporary with a loud guitar and drums, was pretty much the whole service. It felt like a Christian rock concert and didn't leave me inspired, but for others, I can see it meeting their needs. I went to support my friend and her daughter, but it confirmed for me, traditional worship, but with contemporary additions like our  house band that plays a mix of traditional hymns and contemporary, but with keyboard, guitars, and drums, is my style. I also do like the good old fashion choir, particularly during Christmas and Easter season. How or what or not at all church is part of someone else's life- this is not meant to put an opinion on such. These are purely my reflections for myself. 

12 comments:

  1. Fellow lover of all things Liturgical here, too. Garden variety Episcopalian...I would go for the organ music alone. If I want rock music, which I also love, I'll go to a Who concert. For worship, give me Tallis.
    Not sure how it is where you are, but besides the horrible music, the non-denominational churches here preach anti-gay beliefs, along with nonsensical young earth garbage, so you won't find me stepping foot in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have noticed now that you say it, some people I know that are now non-denominational seem to be more socially conservative, but under a "cool" persona.To each their own I guess-I don't want to judge or be judged. I had to look up what "young earth" meant. Must not be a thing here or no one is talking to me about it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a nice Episcopalian girl who prefers traditional church music, especially in this season. I actually find that the more liberal/progressive the church, the more traditional the music. I'm out of the loop as I just recently listened to a knitting group partner or two expound on young earth theory. Bite my tongue time, lol.

    Our number were big for the later service, and usually drop off a bit after the holy business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote to Meg B above I didn't know what Young earth was. I am a traditionalist wiht a twist I guess.

      Delete
  3. Once my daughter was in university we pretty much stopped going to church. I found the responsibilities onerous after so many years of teaching Sunday School, Youth Group, being on the Parish Council and so on. Our congregation wasn't large so everyone has several roles to fill. I was at the point where I just wanted to attend and enjoy the service instead of doing so much work. If you are getting your spiritual needs met then that's good - everyone has to find their correct balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you describe what I've been feeling-just sort of burned out from church. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person. Maybe being just a goer again will be good for me.

      Delete
  4. I am one of those who likes liturgy. When I go to the contemporary service at our church I do not feel like I have been in church at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our contemporary is the same lessons, same sermon, same blessing etc., but the music is more contemporary. I really like this service becasue it is a change but still traditional. The main choir sings ealier, and I enjoy that as well.

      Delete
  5. As my grandmother used to say,"There is only one God and he loves us all equally."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Kim's Grandma. My reflections are just about how I like to attend church, but people can choose to worhsip anywhere.

      Delete
  6. I am not fond of Christian rock. I don't mind contemporary music in church, but I still like hymns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the radio, I find it a change of pace. I more like contemporary-not just loud.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.