Wednesday, March 7, 2018

When Second Guessing Starts

The one day trip to Paris in 2014-not enough time.
We are $6,435 into commitment for our trip of which I am hoping to keep, all expenses included at $12,000. As excited as I am, I can't completely push aside the little voice that is second guessing this decision. Little things contribute to it. DH's first check of March was starkly low in comparison to what it has been. Besides the home improvements, we have a slow drain, possibly a need for another expensive declogging. A medical claim expense was denied for not having all the right documentation, and now I am past the submission date, missing out on $165. Friends are posting pictures of their spring break and winter trips to warm and sunny United States destinations, and will probably be doing something next year, and the year after again. I'm so sick of winter and longing for a warm beach and sun on my face instead of howling winds and icy roads.Our trip will be one for the next five years! After finding the AirBNB, I keep seeing pop-ups in my browser for accommodations that are 10-25% less. I'm watching YouTubers that lament about the high cost of restaurants in France and that train and metro travel fees have increased dramatically. Should we really be splurging on this vacation?

Stop already. Nothing in life is perfectly planned and things happen. I need to tell myself, remind myself of that regularly basis. Now, no vacation is worth getting in debt for, so this is not a post to justify spending money we do not have. It is though, using our summer trip as an example, hopefully a message to get over myself, or anyone reading this to get over themselves, and just enjoy whatever it is you have decided to invest in. For us, it is family time in a place of all of our dreams. For others, Like my colleague, it might be their first house, paying 10% more than origially planned, or a house that suits a growing family better, but is still in proportion to their income and take home pay. It might be new furniture, renting a second garden plot, asking that special someone to marry you. Once a decision has been made, a plan set out, just keep moving forward on it. Sure, glitches happen and corrections may be needed, but second guessing and changing your mind and doing without, or in my case too late, is a waste of time. 

DH's check was low because no one is thinking new car when it is a month of snow storms.Positive thinking, they'll be back when the snow ihas melted and the skys are getting sunny. Stuff happens in houses, and that's why we continue to pay ourselves in a separate account. My medical money will move forward to 2019, and I need new eyeglasses and another round of physical therapy with copays that will likely will exceed what we set aside in my medical account anyway. Yes, I'm seeing cheaper options on apartments, but in checking a few out, they are not in an as accessible and walkable part of Paris, nor do they have a personal referral. We have the option to cancel if we do find a better option. Instead of second guessing our decision, I am choosing to plan and prepare for where we will need to spend, and where we can conserve. Heck, we'd all be happy eating French bagettes, hunks of cheese and market stall produce out of a picnic cooler in a park if that is what our budget allows. My friend that just got engaged, instead of waiting to buy a ring she woud like,  finally just asked her. Now that they are engaged, turns out she just wants a simple band anyway-no engagement ring since they were both married and have grown children. 

Enjoy life. It's really too short to think about what could have been, what you should have done. Draft a budget; book a vacation and enjoy. Find that house that you will make your home. Tell those second guess thoughts, unless they are fully baked and ready to execute, to take a hike. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure I could second guess myself out of every plan, wish or goal I've ever chosen!! If so I wouldn't be planning another trip to Scotland this September after having to cut short my trip last year. Follow your dreams! You'll be so glad you did!
    PS - I woke up today to my kitchen double sink being half full of standing water!! Fortunately, 30 minutes after pouring in some boiling water I heard glug glug glug and the water drained. Have you tried buying a "snake" and possibly declogging on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have a snake, but this had to do with some frozen water deep down in the pipes, way beyond the snake. It is a problem most of my neighbors have periodically, I think in part, that our homes perhaps maybe should not have been built where they are. I a glad you are giving Scotland another go. We have not made it there, but hope to add to the potential list of places once we have our three-6 month holidays in retirement. Maybe sooner if something great happens financially. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right. Go for it. And by the way, I think I would stick with the Air BnB that comes with a recommendation - the one you have booked. I almost backed out of Costa Rica because having my heating system conk out meant I had to take leave I didn't have so I am in a negative leave balance. So glad I didn't back out though and if it's a question of money, in the end you always make it back don't you. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm happy eith what we found and so is the family.

      Delete
  4. Trips cost money and there’s always more on top of what’s planned. Our three month Australasia trip last year cost us £5000 more than we’d planned however we had the money sucked it up and no regrets it was the most fabulous experience ever. Go with your planning Sam you will have a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scares me a bit as we dont have $5,000 more to put to the trip, but I dod build a 10% incidental clause in my head!

      Delete
    2. I think we were being overly optimistic on how cheap we could do it and we were having the trip of a lifetime lol.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.