Wednesday, April 4, 2018

March Money Wrap Up


March is done, not that you would know it looking out my Minnesota windows. DD2 had a snow day yesterday. I had a couple mediocre commutes, but at least since it has been above freezing, the roads on the way home were clearer than anticipated. I debated to review my March goals, laughable, or money. Since I want to ignore reflect on my actions a bit more, let's do money, shall we? 

March was an odd month financially. A third paycheck for me, squeaked right on March 30th, plus some back pay for my raise that should have gone into effect on November 15th and you would think our savings would have skyrocketed. Alas, no, but we are making progress towards our overall 2018 fiscal plan. An expense that I should have foreseen was $330 to renew our passports, $35 county processing fee as DD2 is still a minor and we went through the county, and passport photos of $45. We're good for 10 years now though. 

To recap our financial goals for 2018 are below. 

Financial goals
  1. Fully fund the Roth                                              $13,000
  2. Once in a lifetime family vacation                        $12,000
  3. College Fund                                                       $12,000
  4. College and Show Choir Road Trips                   $  1,500
  5. Home Upgrades                                                  $  9,000                                                                                                                            $47,500
Annual Savings Goal          $34,500 ($47,500 priority budget-$13,000 from savings)

Vacation expenses paid              $4,376

College and Show Choir paid     $   627 
Cash Savings Increase               $   400
Total Savings achieved              $ 5,403

Goal Balance                    $29,097


Subtracting another third pay check month for me and increase check at years end when I've fully funded my 401K, (total approximately ($5,750) our monthly savings target is $2,594.This is higher than last months estimate, $2,445 by nearly $150. I'm going in the wrong direction and will need to watch this. In trip planning, I am getting sticker shock on some of the France prices, which I think are much higher than when we were in London. I'm trying to figure out some side schemes to give us a little spending cushion. I have some great insider resources though, helping us plan the details to enjoy the maximum benefit of our budget and not waste funds. Still, we wnat to enjoy our life between now and August too, and we did plenty of that in March.

Now that my contract is in place, I'll get a small raise this summer, and a bigger raise on my new anniversary. I'm already seeing a $80 swing in take home from my new raise, which doesn't sound like much, but multiplied over the course of nine months, if we don't just mindlessly spend, another $720 to tick off from our goal, and then $480 between July and December. Pennies, nickels, dimes, and dollars matter. 

8 comments:

  1. Every single penny matters! You are doing great. The biggest part of the battle is to set a budget and keep track, so many don't and then wonder where their money goes. France is expensive...but worth it!! We are planning on doing Notre Dame (the free part, not up top where you pay) and just wandering around. The only thing I have prepaid in France is our transfers (BT Transfer best company 60 Euros for 4 adults and 4 suitcases one way from airport to hotel, highly rated on Trip advisor) and the Eiffel Tower tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check that company out. We have an apartment so will do a few meals, breakfast for sure there but I don't want to spend my trip cooking. Where do regular French folk eat out as their not splashing €40 a meal per person every time do you think? We'll use the markets as that will be a fun experience.

      Delete
  2. You've got a plan now ya just gotta stick to it! Easier said than done. Perhaps another review of upcoming expenses just to make sure you haven't forgotten anything. It's those surprises that can do you in. That said - I am so envious - FRANCE!! Keep that at the forefront of your mind and all the sacrifices will be no problem at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Envious, says Ms Scotland! Yes, I'll keep looking over the budget and I hope I added enough cushion. If we could just get nice weather, my entertainment budget will soften.

      Delete
  3. We also had the 3 checks this month which I love. We budget 2 checks a month so the 3rd went right into the college fund. We got back a nice amount from the Federal government(not really sure why since we usually don't) and that also went to college fund. Sold Hubby's old truck and that went into the car fund. I wish all months were this good but I know they aren't so we try to be prepared. We follow Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps and they have helped us change our future. If you would like to hear more about our story I wrote about it here: https://mcoia.blogspot.com/search/label/Dave%20Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went over to your blog-nice. We have lot's of goals with our funds but trying to balance now as well.

      Delete
  4. A trip to France sounds amazing! I may head to Berlin for work in October, and if possible, would add a couple of days to check it out. I've never been to Germany, so it would be a nice opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're planning a couple days in Cologne and Bonn Germany as well. I hope it works for you.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.