Thursday, May 3, 2018

Ending committments Without Guilt

I cut one commitment from my plate.  I formally resigned Tuesday night from the children, youth, and family committee at my church. I've been involved in some way shape or form on this since 1992. I'm not saying I won't help with things any more, in fact I'll be helping with a baccalaureate breakfast for graduates on June 3rd, but I'm officially not going to be part of the planning, discussions, and decision making. I felt a twinge of guilt, but then decided that was just stupid. I've missed more meetings than I've attended the last two years due to the time and day scheduled. I no longer have young children and my daughter is so busy trying to keep up with school life, she has not done much with the youth groups since being confirmed. With resigning, I also stated out loud, that next year I am transitioning the Palm Sunday breakfast to someone else, so everyone might want to start casting their nets. 

Plus, I was just not feeling "called" any longer. I've been feeling that way a lot about organized religion in the last 18 months, not specific to my church. The last national election, the gun control-2nd amendment conflict, war on poor people, have kind of left me drained from Christian people repeating rhetoric that just feels so anti Christian. I guess I'd rather spend more time acting on my values and less time sending thoughts and prayers. But really, this is not ultimately why I resigned from this committee. It was pure self time management and realizing I want and believe my time is better spent doing other things right now.

It's hard giving up things that I've been a part of. I had a lot of FOMO, the fear of missing out, seeing all the posts and pictures from the symposium for a policy group I used to be part of. It was also the 25th anniversary of the organization and there was a huge gala this year. I was invited as a past board director and officer. The time and cost of flight and accommodations made it impossible, plus, I left that work over three years ago. Time to move on in my head. 

We are under 6 years on the  count down for DH to stop working. Once retired, he's going to want to be able to take off and do things without much thought to schedules and external time commitments. So even though I'll be working several years longer than he will be, I'll want to keep my after work and weekend schedule moderately light. I honestly don't know anymore when I will retire. With my vacation accrual increasing and having three day weekends every other week, I feel like I'll have a pretty good work-home balance in terms of schedule. Each year I work I add both to savings while  covering our living expenses, making what we have saved to date go farther. Though with working longer, if that is what I decide, I still want both quality and quantity of free time. With DD2 in her last year of school next year, having one less hold on the calendar is a good thing. I just need to make sure I'm exchanging time for something of good value. That will keep any twinges of guilt at bay. 

11 comments:

  1. Do not feel guilty. You served for many years. It is someone else's turn. You have different priorities now. You are doing what is best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were fast to comment! You are right. trying not to feel any sense of guilt. Like I said, I am farther removed form the specifc purpose than previous years, so it truly is time for others to step in.

      Delete
  2. Guilt of this sort isn't very useful, is it? You thought you decision through, and acted, so don't waste your time on it guilt. Your time is just that, YOURS.
    As for FOMO, again, not useful. It's what drives us to overcommit or overspend, I think. Instead of concentrating on what we're missing out on, we need to concentrate on what we are doing with that time instead. One way I avoid FOMO is by not using social media or texting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just forwarded an Instagram something or other to my daughter. I'm always doing that. I nee to forward things to myself. There's many about guilt, regret, and worry. Yep-not productive at all. Sometimes I write posts as my way to NOT do those things-it gets it out of my system.

      Delete
  3. I have had cases of fomo several times. It passes quickly. After an incident that was the latest of many, I quit tithing and gave it to people in person as I saw they needed it. I cannot in good conscience listen to racism from the pulpit along with the things you mentioned, so I walked away to do what I can to support causes that are more Christian than what was being supported by churches. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church is more prigressive than most, so it is the general thoughts of organised churches I have had concersn, not mine in particular. I see your points though.

      Delete
  4. Everyone has time constraints and after serving for many years it is perfectly fine to pass the torch to someone else. Do it without guilt! Most likely you will find your passion elsewhere and you can have it fit into your life rather than you fitting into it.
    I have found I love doing volunteer work but I do not like it to be a rigid fixed time. I have Mom as my wild card and things and plans change on a moments notice with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to find options that are flexible. Some volunteer work seems more tightly scheduled than paid jobs.

      Delete
  5. I have those same guilt factors but honestly, I think in anything, PTA, band boosters, whatever, sometimes it is better not only for our schedules to bow out, but time for some new blood as well - new ideas, younger people, you get my drift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree younger parents can and should step forward in many things.

      Delete
  6. It is hard to walk away sometimes, but that little twinge of guilt will disappear in no time trust me:)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.