Friday, May 4, 2018

Feeling Good Friday-With a Big Question Mark

It's a good thing I'm having my throat dilation in about three hours. Last night it closed with just water-not pleasant. It's been a stressful week. DD2 is in full junior year, and moving to the end of her stamina. We are counting down the weeks until school is over, five to be exact. Until then she has two AP tests, two more concerts, four track meets, four vocal jazz rehearsals, vocal jazz auditions, show choir practise, and show choir auditions. And, probably 4-10 hours at her new job per week and just plain homework. She'll survive, but we will all be resting easier in June. 

DH has been working late hours. It seems his day is  generally calm, until the two hours before he is supposed to come home and he gets stuck for an extra hour or two. Yesterday he had to go in on his day off for a few hours. I'm busy at work as well, but with a new twist of doing budgets in this organization for the first time, plus the regular end of fiscal year craziness. We've got a month of family things and grad parties on the calendar. So much for April being light. 

Still, we are all for the most part healthy. I've got a bit of anxiousness over this procedure as I'm never a fan of anesthesia, and a bit of fear that I won't come out of it. Still, despite stress and anxiety, I'm trying to focus on the feeling good part of life so here goes. 


  • Both adult kids are thriving in their careers this past month. DS has projects lined up for the month and DD1 has been involved with some freelance and volunteer projects that are building her portfolio.
  • Despite her stress, DD2 is maintaining high grades. She needs to learn for herself how much is too much, so we are hopeful she'll find a better balance. 
  • My blood pressure moved back towards my regular range. While still higher for me than the past, it is well within acceptable levels. 
  • Other than rain on Tuesday, which actually refreshed everything and  seems to have started the green coming out, we've had beautiful weather. The sunset was incredible last night. 
  • I lost a pound. Not as much as I would like, but I'll take it. I'm not even going to assume it is just because I couldn't eat last night either.  I'm not  going to state a goal, other than that my weight at the need of each week is lower than the previous. My real goal is more around being able to walk long distances and climb massive stairs in preparation for our August trip. Losing weight will aid me in that. 
How have you been in this early start of May. Do you have exercise goals, weight loss goals, or healthy eating goals for the month? Please share in the comments any strategies for any or all. 

Edit: For those that previously read this post, I have an update. The internal medicine doctor did not feel a dilation would be the best course in the long run. He thinks the restriction  is caused by acid and if that is controlled, he's had success with about 50% of his patients with similar issue. The stretching would help, but not fix the root. I'm not one for unnecessary procedures, so accepted his proposed treatment. I'll be on a blocker for three months. If no relief, then we"ll try to eliminate foods from my diet-the six most common allergens, dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, all nuts, and all fish and shell fish. This would be harsh, so I'm hoping for the best with the one pill a day strategy. I was all prepped, IV and all when he came to discuss. Needless to say, my stress was all over the place, evidenced by a 165 over 100 blood pressure. Now to get that nipped with diet and exercise.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck on your throat dilation thing. You'll be fine just don't stress over it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you've had a successful dilation procedure, and that you are OK.
    It seems your daughters give you much reason for pride and satisfaction.
    Weightwatch and walking have ceased to be my goals and have become my almost second nature. Walking is for general health. I won't be misleading you and say it helps with weight loss; in my experience - very little, if at all. If you wish to loose weight, concentrate on nutrition mainly, and find your own best way to do that. Nobody knows your body and your cravings better than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your procedure goes well!

    As for the health & fitness side, I continue to work on a balanced workout plan, and eating well. For me, eating well is generally keeping my calories in check, not eating unnecessary carbs/sugar, and generally stopping before I'm full. My weight loss has been incredibly slow, but I'm sticking with it! Normally I would have given up by now, because of the lack of progress. Instead, I'm just trying to go with the flow & keep it up. I'm healthier & working in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck on your procedure. Let us know how it goes.
    As far as fitness/health goals, (as with financial goals) I find the monthly goal setting tends to backfire on people. It can be overwhelming to find you are two weeks in to the month, and have had no workouts, eaten horribly, and decide to just throw in the towel for the month. And, within each day, focus on each choice. It's much more manageable, at least, to me, that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ee gads, I just reread this, and realized a chunk of a sentence was left out. It should read "Take it day by day, and, within each day, focus on each choice."


      Delete
  5. My husband has his throat dilated regularly. I am sorry you are struggling with this condition. Hey take that pound and run with it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My doctor was not happy I cancelled, but until my heart problem is fixed, I am NOT going to be anesthetized!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you’re ok Sam and your procedure goes well. I agree with Duta for the most part re losing weight but I have found that drastically reducing my intake and ramping up the exercise has given my metabolism a kick start. I do three exercise classes a week two are in the morning before I’ve eaten meaning I’m exercising on an empty stomach which is apparently the best time for fat burning. The other days I walk approx 3 miles and do my home yoga practice and I do intermittent fasting twice a week. I have no idea how much I weigh but I have gone down a couple of dress sizes so I know I’ve lost however it’s the toning I love and yoga is great for toning. Keep going with whatever works for you Sam one day at a time and I have to say it’s been much easier since I’m no longer working and taking trips means a lot of walking for us so all good on the health front.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.