Sunday, May 20, 2018

Productivity-An Elusive Find at Home

This post is part self accountability, but self permission to be human. Does anyone else battle the two self images, productive in certain parts of your life, but feel woefully behind and lacking in others? 

Friday I was extremely "on" at work. Before 10:00 I had wrapped up two projects, despite being out of the office for two days. By mid day, solved two grantees problems and got them sorted for moving forward. I had two longer than normal check-ins with staff that were quite positive, and finally completed two mandatory on-line trainings that I started and was interrupted multiple times. I actually left the office at 2:00 and did those from home. I am usually very efficient and effective with my time use at work. 

Home, not so much. Actually, I am productive, but don't seem to get as much as I would like accomplished. Yesterday, knowing I was not going to be home most of today, I decided no excuses. It looked like it was going to be a bit rainy so I didn't get bedding outside on the lines as I would have liked, but I managed to get all the bed linens stripped, washed, and replaced. I did several loads of delicate clothes, hanging on hangers and getting ready for the week ahead. I cleaned the fridge out, and topped off the groceries, also making Sloppy Joe's and salad to bring along today. Getting up at 4:00 a.m. (not that early intentionally) to watch Royal weddings helps add hours to the day! 

I would have liked more time on big projects like the berry bushes and the rubbish piles. I need more purging done in the garage and another purge of closets. And, I want to find more time to work on the book and the web site for which I purchased the domain for last year. There it sits, still not launched. 

Rome wasn't created in a day and neither is my life. I need to be focused but I also need to cut myself slack. It's not like I'm  sitting around watching soap operas and eating candy all day, though probably do more of both than I should. Little by little I am feeling a bit more control of some of the home chaos. In reality, there is just as much to do as ever, but I need to remember I don't own it alone. I'll keep plugging away at balance, and purging the useless stuff from life, things and activities. 

17 comments:

  1. I do my best, but some days are just write offs. It's a crazy kids schedule this weekend, so I'll get done what I can between activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I thought I was doing my best, I'd be less down on myself. I could step it up more, but we need to simplify life in general.

      Delete
  2. I am a firm believer that if you cannot relax in your home, things need to change. I don't quite understand the dilemma, as I am a SAHM, and approach my household tasks as you probably do tasks at your job. If I have a major project, I do it at the beginning of the day, then after lunch catch up on the regular tasks. The thing about home is that it's not work, and it's easy to take breaks, or get distracted by the laptop, the phone, the t.v., or the people in the house! During the week, I am "working" from the time I get up 5a.m.) until just before dinner. (Cocktail hour) Kids do not bug me during that lull--and sometimes DH knows better as well. After dinner is cleanup, then relax time, where I'll focus on crafts, watch t.v., etc. Typically, I attack big projects on the weekend mornings, (ie: rearranging a room, cleaning out a closet) and catch up with daily things like laundry, vacuuming, after lunch, or, wait until Monday. I leave Fridays for a deep, but basic clean (floors mopped, furniture dusted, sheets laundered) so my house is clean for the weekend, particularly Friday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really just need to simplify everything at home. The things that take a lot of time are of less importance, so an easier options needs to be developed. I admit though. it is hard to start essentially a second job when you walk in the door at 6:00.

      Delete
    2. "It is hard to start essentially a second job when you walk in the door at 6:00." TRUE!!! You deserve to be able to relax in your own home. Delegate! (Or, do what I do in the case of DH's jurisdictions, like the garage--IGNORE!) In any case, you're probably your own worst critic. You're entitled to time off! I believe homemaking is a process, not an event.

      Delete
  3. My suggestion, frugal queen that I am is to consider getting g help if you can afford it, and make sure everyone is helping out. Hiring help was the smartest thing I ever did.weekends should be a kind of respite. YOu should be doing the around the house stuff that energizes you or relaxes you.

    And then of course you can be me and let much if it go. I come from the...if the bathroom and kitchens are halfway clean and we have clean clothes to wear it's mainly all good school of thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that would motivate me as I wouldn't want anyone to clean my house in the current state. I have a dog/house sitter in August so that will be a great motivator.

      Delete
  4. Life is a project, as with weeds, there is always more "stuff" to work on :) You do sound very productive at work though, perhaps it is because you generally have uninterrupted me time to work the projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have convinced the mother in law that all her "plants" really just create a load of extra weeding and work for all of us. She never even goes to the area she used to call her garden. We planted Hostas, and the rest are going to be weed wacked. Still, there is a ton of upkeep with just keeping those clear.At work, I also know I'm on th closk, and if I don't finish, I'll just be hauling things home.

      Delete
  5. From my life experience past and present:
    If you live with family you need their cooperation in all aspects, and try to find the right way to get it.
    Whether one lives with family or alone, it's best to simplify and reduce things, put oneself at the top of the agenda - not the dog, the cat,or the garden.
    As for hiring help, besides the money matter,it depends on your personality. I, for instance, don't like a stranger to handle my things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplify is what we need to do. If I only have a few items of clothes-less laundry loads, less clutter. Fewer things and the stuff laying around,less to collect dust. DH worked like cray last night after a full day of work at the cabin, so he helps. Daughter, needs to step up a bit more.

      Delete
  6. Does anyone else battle the two self images, productive in certain parts of your life, but feel woefully behind and lacking in others? - yes, often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reassuring to know. I thought I would collapse last night after a day weeding and planting and other assorted jobs at the cabin, and now the home seems woeful again.

      Delete
  7. I too am like that. IT is really hard to work full time and be amazing and then come home and be amazing. IT is just that we want to be great at everything we do and that just ain't going to happen. If you saw my house right now you would call social services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I like to think I'm all that! Mostly, some days I'm just happy I showered and don't have holes in my clothes an am able to scrounge a clean cup for coffee.

      Delete
  8. I got a lot more done at HOME when I was working than now that I am retired! Sad but true. When I was teaching I was a whirlwind both at school and at home. I don't think that was a good thing because 4 years later I think I am still recovering from operating at full tilt! Here's what I have started to do - I break tasks down into steps, sometimes itty bitty steps. I want to do some retouching of marks on walls and baseboards throughout the house - step 1 was finding the cans of paint in the basement and bringing them upstairs. :)
    You are working full-time. You have a family and house to take care of. That is a LOT! Do what you can knowing that each day will be different - some days you will accomplish a lot and other days you'll accomplish next to nothing. There are no rules for this - you are being aware and doing your best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing that on my days off and also setting the timer with clear targets of what I want accomplished by the time it dings.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.