Friday, June 8, 2018

Feeling Good Friday-Summer's Official Start

Just like the start of school marks true fall in my head, the first day of summer break for my kids marks the official household start of summer. This is the last year to use that marker. Today is my flex day and I've got regular household duties to take care of. We haven't found a new swim suit for DD2, so will trek over a town in the other direction to see if their Target and Walmart might have a broader stock.She's hard to buy for as she wants the cute styles, but has a tiny body, but ample  top area (sorry kiddo) so one piece and even tankini's don't work so well. She also is water active, so this needs to practical and not just fashionable. She needs a  few other odds and ends, plus we need to swing by the bank to get some cash for her for the week and graduation cards. 

This feeling good Friday is a little different. I'm not going to make a list, but just a general theme of  wellness, mind and body. I was messaging DD1 who is on a work trip right now until tomorrow, but then heads out again just two days later. She said it is going well and hopes to have some good footage for her vlog this week. DS called out of the blue on Tuesday, just to chat. He's in the early stages of developing a business plan to buy more equipment that will hopefully spur on more lucrative jobs where he is hired along with his equipment. It is a good feeling to hear upbeat positive momentum when they are  trying to make it in a competitive field, but one they genuinely have passion for. 

I was sharing with DD1 about her sisters trip right after taking the ACT test on Saturday and that it would be good practice for me being an empty nester next year. She gave me a nudge that it is a good week to work on my own projects and not be focused on her. So true! I  think I need to make myself a task list that has nothing related to the house, the kid, the job, or extended family for the week she is gone. Of course, life still will happen, but it is a good week opportunity to get some work in my head onto the computer. 

Speaking of computers, I'll take a look at Target and Walmart, but think a trip to Best Buy might be in order. Thanks for the recommendation, Meg B. This thing is on it's death bed, but it has been a good four years, considering I spent under $250 on it. I'll look for a new modem/Wireless connector as well. Life and more life. 

I'm resisting the urge to log into work today. I need to take these flex days as earned, so I can better focus on my full work weeks. I signed up for a couple lunch time wellness activities being offered-need to get away from my desk during the day and not just for meetings. One session is on packing healthier lunches and the other is on creating a stress free work space. Lunch is provided at both, a rare perk. That's what I have for this week. I hope you all are finding ways to keep your self in good shape, physically and mentally. Feel free to comment and share your strategies for the summer.

10 comments:

  1. Our summer is packed, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm attending one training while the kids are with my parents. It's not a work skills training, but a senior leadership training focusing on creating balance in your life. I could definitely use that!

    I'm looking for the two weeks off starting in a couple of weeks. Haven't had a vacation that long since I joined this company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a dul post that lays out our summer. So far only two weeks have nothing on them (other than work, music lessons, cabin etc.) but not every day is packed. I think it will be a good busy. I'm happy for you that you get to take the time you earned off. A week is nice, but two weeks truly lets a person step away.

      Delete
  2. My Summer strategy is to survive it....lolz
    Not much going on though I am trying to shape something up but it has to be worked around dr. appts., kid trips(b/c we have to watch her dog), and kid work schedules.
    Details to follow, or not, depending on whether I am successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe after your mega trip lst year, this is the summer of day trips and just treating yourself to things over the course of the summer. That will be us next year and the year after most likely. Even with a work trip nd our August trip, I'm hopeful we can get a few exploratory days in, though we still have a coule colleges to look at so that will be a few Fridays.

      Delete
  3. I agree about when summer truly starts! For us, that's not until G2's last day of school on June 21sr!
    Sounds like things are going pretty well for you this edition of Feeling Good Friday! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is good in 9messy) house, but I'm getting assorted things done. We came home a bit ago and DH must have been home, leaving a 2 pound bag of M&M's on the Kitchen counter. An od purchase, but chocolate? Yeah.

      Delete
  4. My Summer strategy is to try to have at least a moment of fun each day with the kids. This may be playing outside intentionally or going for a walk or ice cream. Today Rebecca and I went to explore some gardens that are only open one weekend a year in our area. They were truly beautiful and a fun mom-daughter time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having n gardening skills, I appreciate a truly beautiful one. I love your summer plan. Your kids will have great memories of summer.

      Delete
  5. We have one more full week of school. The official end date is 6/18, but we had a half day added, making 6/19 the last day. I wasn't planning on sending my kids on the 18th, much less for a half day on the 19th, unless they truly wanted to go.
    We have plans to spend some time at our east coast place. Beyond that, there are whole chunks of absolutely NOTHING planned. Personally, I will tend flower gardens, work on crafts, and continue to clean and purge the house. DS2 has his online college class (Computer Literacy 101, tee hee hee), and that's about it. A few kids have a week of sleepaway camp, and DD may or may not have two weeks of day long band camp, if she chooses to join marching band--or be a flag girl. She's on the fence, claiming she doesn't want to overextend herself, either by overscheduling her summer, or in the fall when she is taking her first honors class. I'd like to see her try it, at least, though. Ultimately, though, we are a low key summer family. If the kids complain they are bored, I put the burden on them to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter had finals right until her last early release day. No way to avoid with all the snow days. No biredome allowed in the summer as there's always jobs to gey caught up on, walks and bike rides to take, and a whole library of books to read.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.